Search the forum,

Discuss NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah he gone..

Now he`s gone .................

When he started off I thought he was another I-know-better teenager but then he used the words "Kid" and "Son" towards APP leading me to think he was an immature adult having a mid life crisis and wanting to be a plumber.

EDIT. meant mature adult honest! Hehe.

Now he`s gone .................

When he started off I thought he was another I-know-better teenager but then he used the words "Kid" and "Son" towards APP leading me to think he was an immature adult having a mid life crisis and wanting to be a plumber.

EDIT. meant mature adult honest! Hehe.

Maybe he was one of those southern Man U fans trying to use northern words!

it was nice of him to highlight many of the difficulties of having an apprentice...

I'm toying with shifting this thread to the arms but it could prove a valuable lesson to future apprentices in the attitude NOT to have!

I'm toying with shifting this thread to the arms but it could prove a valuable lesson to future apprentices in the attitude NOT to have!

would leave an change title :D

I wish I could find a good apprentice. I have had 3. One thought he was due qualified plumbers money after 3 months of working, one thought he could get up whenever he wanted and it didn't matter if he was late and the other one quit.
I have had a full time subby working for me for the past 3 years, I want to train someone up to take over that role but finding someone with the right attitude proves extremely difficult.

You banned him! But we could have learned soo much from him!

He's probably off now, earning ÂŁ50 an hour and laughing at us.

I was following that thread with some interest and wondered how long it would last with him.

I gave some cheek to an old fitter on a site once when I was a 2nd year apprentice, nothing happened, nothing.......no one talked to me for a week, they all sent me to Coventry, I was on the verge of tears every tea time in the site hut, all I was given to do was cut studding and drill holes in the slab ceiling with a redhead gun & I had to ask to go onto another site.........lesson learned, saw the fella about 6 months later, my training manager even knew by then then, "You'd better apologise to Gibbo" he said "he's still steaming"

poor Gamo lol

Back on the guys at Lidl...domt knock them they work damn hard
..how many supermarkets do you know that run with only one till open!

It was like 16, 17, and maybe 18 year olds who behaving like they don't want to know.

Throwing bits of pipe, pens or anything else about the workshop; or sword fights with lengths of copper pipe 4 or 5 feet long.
Constantly on mobiles in class/workshop, no matter how many times told to put them away; going off topic, talking amongst themselves, making weird noises and no they did not have an involuntary response condition.
Going to class without course book, paper pad, pen or anything, then saying "I didn't know what we were doing I thought we were in workshop"; so why did they turn up in class at the same day and time as they have done for weeks.
Going to morning / lunch / afternoon break and not coming back for rest of the day because what they were doing was "boring".
All students were told how important maths are and a number of examples were given, including some of personal experience.
But they walk out of a class because they can't understand the tutor (neither could anyone), but she was writing everything down correctly, I followed it and learnt something (I have always had bad maths so took the opportunity offered), but it was to difficult for them.
Turning up for maths and there is no tutor, and instead of going to library and studying or finding a maths tutor and asking for some work they close blinds, turn off lights, use class PC and large screen and put a film on, after messing about and swearing; there were a number of students who were trying to study but ended up leaving that lesson.
There were teenage students on a health course who caused so much disruption in maths the tutor was regularly in tears and ended up leaving the college.

I made a complaint and the head of maths was telling me about the problems they are having.

From what I saw at college of those who were early twenties or younger (whose ages I could identify), there were some but not all who did not seem that interested, from my personal experience they were generally not interested.
Even the tutor stopped giving out homework because not many students were bothering to do it.

And I'm not saying where this college is.

D'you know that's almost the exact reason I gave up a teaching career and went back to plumbing. 14 years as a head of department and if they didn't do the homework (Because they were too tired after a day messing about disrupting lessons), it was me who got disciplined for not making it interesting enough.

Not all young people are the same though, and I teach kendo to quite a few in the age bracket. These people have what it takes to get on, and they will, but not all of us are the same.
I was a very late starter, leaving school with 6 CSE's and none of them above a grade 3.
I messed about doing unskilled jobs in factories, foundries, on farms, and in the the building industry before I conned my way onto a Government training programme for plumbers.
I did have to work damn hard though and we were always told by the course leader (Jim Foster if I remember correctly) that he would show us how to do something once and we got the chance to have a go. We could mess up once, but if we messed up twice we were off the course so we worked, and concentrated.
We also did nearly all our written work in our own time, after the workshop sessions. There were times when I was finishing at 10pm and then getting into the workshop for 8am but I knew that it was for a reason and, as I keep telling my actor son, I had something to fall back n when teaching failed for me, so in the end all the hard work was worth it.
BTW - I started in plumbing at the age of 24, and I was a complete idiot, running around with a very bad crowd and getting into trouble, but I changed. So can the others that 'Appear' to be a waste of space.
To paraphrase David Bowie, they're just "Going through changes"
Enjoy your time on the job, enjoy your time off the job, moan if it's making you feel like it, and try to be nice to everyone because it does make life a lot easier in the end :)

That's a lot of typing - I think I might write a book now 'coz I'm well experienced after this bit :D

Another BTW - I got on my course by using a graded scale I marked on the edge of the question paper to work out a cylinder circumference. Ingenuity, and an ability to solve a problem are far more important that qualifications IMHO

You banned him! But we could have learned soo much from him!

He's probably off now, earning ÂŁ50 an hour and laughing at us.

Ha Ha - I charge ÂŁ60 ph :D, but then I find that although I've told them the job will take two hours, it usually ends up taking 3 or 4 and I'm down to ÂŁ30ph :(

Yes, More apprentices, more adult students, more immigrants and more colleges inflating supply through training construction workers in their own houses - all this impacts on wages, deflating them and keeping macro-economic inflation low (price of bread stays low in shops).

In their own houses? Are you sure? Be careful not to scaremonger if you don't have evidence or only seen this in exceptional cases

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock