Search the forum,

Discuss NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some jobs out there for sure. But you need 3 things, experience, qualifications and a decent attitude. And people with 1 out of 3 are going to struggle.

So everybody here trying to help you is wrong, is that what you are saying?

Sorry if I hurt your feelings but I'm just telling you know much plumbers in my area can earn based on jobs that are being advertised. To turn around and say that they're all fake makes you look a bit stupid mate.

You didn't hurt my feelings flower. I just think you need to do your homework a bit more.

What are you talking about? Homework for what?
I'm giving you facts and you're denying them.

Carry on mate you're the one looking stupid
"all the jobs advertised on jobsite aren't real"
What a silly comment kid, what proof have you of this?

If you're going to quote me then quote me correctly. Failing to do that is making you look stupid.

Off to the pub for a few hours, hopefully the music has changed by the time I get back later.

Gamo, we all have experience in the industry and we all
Experience on an almost daily basis people
Like yourselves emailing, calling us up asking if we have any work. The first question is what's your experience. There is work out there but there are also a lot more people out there with experience. The plumbing courses are always busy at colleges it's the next step that takes time. Which is gaining real world useable experience. That is what an nvq teaches but a diploma can't. If you think anyone is going to pay you more than there apprentice who has bags more experience than yourself you are wrong. Good luck in your career and just think seriously about getting yourself some experience and expect to do it unpaid.

Can you imagine trying to teach this guy anything, you would constantly be told "you don't want to do it like that, do it like this"

I am getting bored now, so best of luck GaMo, come back & tell us all about your new job as a Plumbers Mate. :seeya:

First sensible response I've had here in a while.

I'm not currently looking for work as a plumber or as a plumbers mate
I'm working my normal job and attending college to gain the qualifications.

When the time comes I'll work for free if need be to get my NVQ
I'll labour for free if that's what it takes to complete my portfolio and assessments.

You and a million others.

Wind your neck in and stop arguing the toss with seasoned professionals who have seen all the changes in the industry over the years. We don't have a 'victim' mentality. We have world weary cynicism brought about by media flim flam that we're all borderline millionaires coupled with training centres offering plumber in 6 weeks courses.

You haven't offered any evidence. Just hearsay.

What I suggest you do is sit back and pin your ears back. You might find you'll learn something.

I don't get what your problem is son, I'm telling you what plumbers can earn in my area based on the jobs that are advertised on reliable jobsite, if you don't want to believe it then that's your problem but you've not given me any evidence to back up your claim at these jobs are fake. Tell me then, what should plumbers in my area be earning?

What do you do for a living? Think this was asked previously and ignored.

Hi again.I posted 2 long but constructive posts.Page6.I tried to get across in a realistic way the problems you and many others before you face in getting into plumbing.I finished by pointing out that from a business point of view anyone who employs someone has to earn on them, not pay them wages for the privilege of all the hassle in taking them on,training them,legal responsibilities,finding them work or paying them for nothing.This a bit more harsh than earlier.The main reason I have decided not to take someone on is not just the above ,but they would have far better conditions than me ,longer holidays,sick pay,pension,paternity leave,guaranteed wage.They would have to be the dogs danglies to make it worthwhile.

On a different subject.At first I gave you the benefit of the doubt for your Gungho attitude but there is a big difference between this and being a cocky bar steward.You need to realise this PDQ as it pees people off.Trades people who have lots of experience have no time for it and if working on site they wouldn't put up with it.I notice in your last reply to me you said 'I can blag experience or give fake references if that's what it takes.'I think my patience has worn a bit thin as with the guys in recent posts.If you have learnt anything from these posts you may have a chance.I learnt a lot of my trade off here and still learn new things.YOU NEVER KNOW IT ALL.Good luck.

My previous employer took on a lad who had done a college course then needed employment to gain an nvq, after the first week he was with us we told him to forget the practical side of what you learn't in college as it was so far away from the real world, it's easy to do things in a bay or on a jig at college but you don't learn how to get over problems with out site experience.

The three useful phrases.

Eyes open.
Ears open.
Trap shut. Unless it's a question.

Get you a long way.

I don't get what your problem is son, I'm telling you what plumbers can earn in my area based on the jobs that are advertised on reliable jobsite, if you don't want to believe it then that's your problem but you've not given me any evidence to back up your claim at these jobs are fake. Tell me then, what should plumbers in my area be earning?

If you want to remain a member of this forum you'll do well not to be rude to members of the management structure, of which APPlumbing is one.

As I said. Wind your neck in. Or you can try being rude to me if you like. See where that gets you.

GaMo said:
When the time comes I'll work for free if need be to get my NVQ
I'll labour for free if that's what it takes to complete my portfolio and assessments..

Really! that's what I do for when I need NVQable experience (usually I'm self-employed), but the guy who lets me work for 'free' (though actually I get a great deal of knowledge from him) tells me he routinely gets people offering to pay him (and sometimes he accepts) for the same privilege (and it's true: I've heard the phone calls).

damn, I wish I was young again... I had forgotten what it was like to know everything..

For someone that believes all the adverts for jobs on Internet, but then states about misinformation on this forum, seems contradictory.
My advice would be take every bit of information that you can get in life and decide what you believe, but be polite to all those offering help.
Looks like somebody is leaving! :smile:

I gave you an example,y sister gave me the low down on how these people operate but you choose to ignore the post.
Enjoy the holiday :biggrin:

They all want experience and being able to work on your own which you can't as you have no experience

tbh short courses / collage only courses are only for people like timed served who need nvqs etc as they already know what there doing

Last edited:
I see that GaMo has been Sam Allardyced! Mind you Sam trousered a million quid to keep his mouth shut.GaMo didn't even get his plumbers mate rate! I wrote 3 helpful ,detailed posts in the vain hope he had a brain cell.That's 30 minutes of my life I won't get back.I must get my pill*** identification instinct sharpened.

On a more serious note I am concerned about how we get quality entrants into the trade.Much of the training is frankly a racket in that it does not meet the needs of the trainee or trade.Apprenticeships do not seem to be working well in that few on here seem to have had positive experiences 'Gone through 4 already.'In a pure business sense,many of the trade are sole traders and it is not economically viable to take on an apprentice.If training organisers are paid to train perhaps we could have the apprentice's wages paid for the first year.By then it will be clear if it is working for both.I do however appreciate this could be exploited.Is it worth a new thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock