Search the forum,

Discuss Newly gas safe advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
newly gas safe and just wondering where people buy their bits and what stock/tools people would recommend keeping on the van?

Also see gas cert folders & landlord Certs on gas safety site for about £8 is there templates for these you can download and print yourself on internet or do you need official ones?

Advice appreciated

I have gas analyser, U gauge, leak detection & gas ptfe on van at the moment

Is it just service work you will be doing? Or install and breakdowns also?

As above, depends what you are aiming at.

Stop ends and caps are handy!
I buy the waning pads and report pads because I think they look more official and there are two or three copies depending on which pad.

looking at covering most domestic stuff so services (boilers, cooker, fires), installations & emergency work. I know you can't carry everything but just wondered what you guys make sure you keep stocked up on for gas work.

Also do you just get your bits from local merchant or do you recommend any online sites for gas certs etc?

thanks for help

The list is kind of endless
Get some organiser tray and fill with fittings, pipe, tools, ladder, wet vac FGA
Whats your background?
Make a list of things you use every day

I have plumbing company so have ladders etc where i have only worked with engineers to get my portfolio done my onsite experience with gas is bare minimum so just wanted to give my self best chance of completing jobs by making sure i had the most common things required.

Like are there fuses etc that fit a range of boilers or what signs should i be carrying, paper work etc.

I am just second guessing everything at the moment as just qualified and have probation gas safe inspection at end of month want to make sure i have everything and prepared.

:)

Have you got jobs to take them to?
You will need warning stickers and all the pads etc
FGA calibration certificate

Yes i am doing a boiler installation week before so am going to try and get customer to let us go back there. I have just had my calibration done also.

To start you off....... Normal Hand tools, soldering kit, u gauge, leak detect, gas leak detector, FGA, voltage tester, multimeter, grease, sealants, torch, socket set, foot pump, steps, combustion door seals, gas cents, labels, pen, flue clips and timber, o rings, chemicals, dust sheets, screws, caps, plugs, discs, temp bonding, 3 amp fuses, co alarm, pump, rad valves, buckets, towels, hose pipes. PPE,

Installing........enough fittings to do a med sized job( bathroom, boiler change), fixings, mastic, timber, drill bits (cores, sds to 30mm, holes saws, spades), tap repair kit, inlet repair kit, sand and cement, plaster filler, ladders, drill, cir saw, multi tool, grinder, impact, lights,

Should get you thinking. decided what you need regular like and stock it up. Keep tools off van unless your sure you needed them.

You need to keep a record of every gas job you do bud, plan your work the jobs you are doing that particular day you cant carry everything , when you have your gas safe inspection you will need to demonstrate your competent so do a gas rate on the boiler , pressure drop across the gas carcass , tightness test get the basic stuff right ie sleeving of gas pipework, bonding , flueing postion , clearence around the boiler and dont forget to consider if there are other gas appliances in the property, as your newly qualified it should not be that difficult. Cheers kop

cheers everyone,

AW you mentioned combustion door seals i take it you should use one supplied by the manufacturer or is it one size fits all?

King - I was not taught much about recording work, what is the best way to keep record of works done. Just import invoices sent for gas works into a gas works folder on computer? or do you need to issue a formal form? i have briefly looks on gas safe site and so far only seems landlord certificate require formal form.

sorry for all questions second guessing everything.

thanks for the help

Each boiler and model has its own special seal

And yes also tt with a fga so you can print out reports and save/ scan them to your comp

And any gas work eg tapping into a line or replacing an appliance gets a form or work sheet with all testing as well

Even if it's only a tt

Thanks shaun,

sorry another question. I am just about to go to boiler with water leak. what checks should i be doing if i only remove the boiler case and don't break the gas line. boiler is room sealed, am i then responsible for the boiler, do i need to check flue, do ratio check etc?

thanks for all the advice

Thanks shaun,

sorry another question. I am just about to go to boiler with water leak. what checks should i be doing if i only remove the boiler case and don't break the gas line. boiler is room sealed, am i then responsible for the boiler, do i need to check flue, do ratio check etc?

Just make sure the case seals are fine and give it a once over how does it look, has it been serviced (you maybe able to sell them a service if they want)

And no don't need to gas rate it ratio or flue check only need them on a service

Understand??

Thanks shaun,

Seriously?

thanks shaun much appreciated i am sure i will have many more questions for you all :)

Better to ask than not to ask and struggle when you get time shoot me over a pm with your gas safe details

Your landlords pad can double up as a gas safety certificate just do one of those with the relivant details on bud and staple fga print off to it . cheers kop

I may be wrong here but I thought if you open up a boiler case into the combustion area, regulation 26,9 checks be carried out

Just make sure the case seals are fine and give it a once over how does it look, has it been serviced (you maybe able to sell them a service if they want)

And no don't need to gas rate it ratio or flue check only need them on a service

Understand??

I may be wrong here but I thought if you open up a boiler case into the combustion area, regulation 26,9 checks be carried out

Not unless your working on the gas side,

Don't think people would be happy if you have to test the whole install for just replacing for example a prv

Unless you spot something for example case seals broken or lack off

Not unless your working on the gas side,

Don't think people would be happy if you have to test the whole install for just replacing for example a prv

Unless you spot something for example case seals broken or lack off
If you take the case of a new vaillant for example you should be doing all your check. The PRV is behind the case seal and only a GSR can say that the seal is safe.

If you take the case of a new vaillant for example you should be doing all your check. The PRV is behind the case seal and only a GSR can say that the seal is safe.

So you would service the boiler eg fga test Gas rate it etc

So you would service the boiler eg fga test Gas rate it etc
There was supposed to be a 26 and (9) in between your and check in my post but missed it out. These should be done anytime a GSR does anything to a boiler itself as a minimum mate. (In my eyes). You are the last man there In a court of law

There was supposed to be a 26 and (9) in between your and check in my post but missed it out. These should be done anytime a GSR does anything to a boiler itself as a minimum mate. (In my eyes). You are the last man there In a court of law

Yea but it says

1. (a) the effectiveness of any flue;

2. (b) the supply of combustion air;

3. (c) its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;

4. (d) its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning,

So in short a service every time you remove the case, can understand on a positive pressure boiler yes fair enough, but on a room sealed it's a bit much for changing a let's say prv

Yea but it says

1. (a) the effectiveness of any flue;

2. (b) the supply of combustion air;

3. (c) its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;

4. (d) its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning,

So in short a service every time you remove the case, can understand on a positive pressure boiler yes fair enough, but on a room sealed it's a bit much for changing a let's say prv
I understand your point mate but yes on most I do. But I don't class that as a service. As not been cleaned out.

Agreed, the moment you take the case off the boiler to work on it then you are responsible for the safety of the appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newly gas safe advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock