Search the forum,

Discuss New water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Kershaw

Bit of background....

Recently had a new water supply pipe. The old supply was via a shared lead pipe all the way down the back of the terrace to our property on the end. Very low pressure, and being poisoned. ☺ We took the new supply from the main pipe in the street just outside the front door to a new stopcock just inside the door. We decided to take it through the house to avoid the expense of digging a trench round to the back. United Utilities were happy with that plan. So far so good.

However our plumber used a 15mm plastic pipe from the stopcock - up to the loft, across and down to the bathroom, where the boiler is situated. A distance of about 15m.

I'm not keen on plastic - one of the fittings failed within a month! And there's a lot of pressure variation as we turn things off and on - eg just a trickle at the washbasin when the bath is running.

I'm keen to replace most of the pipe myself with 22mm copper.

So two questions for you experienced chaps and chapesses: 1. Does that sound sensible? 2. Would you keep the route through the loft, or take the more direct route under the bedroom floorboards? (I've got work to do on the boards anyway).

Tony

Are the internal and external stop cocks fully open?
What pressure and flow have you got at the bath tap?

If the boiler is a combi that will limit flow of hot water. Unless mains pressure is low a 15mm pipe would match combi flow. What is type and Kw of boiler.

Has anyone actually tested your flow and pressure (static and dynamic) since the upgrade??

Yes, the stop cocks are fully open, and there is good flow from the bath tap - and reasonable flow from the washbasin when the bath isn't running.

I didn't mention that the whole bathroom suite is 30 years old, and due for replacement. The whole lot needs replacing and replumbing - all part of this year's project. If part of your question is probably trying to ascertain what state the washbasin taps are in - the answer is, they're probably not opening fully.

It's a Vaillant ecoTECH plus 831, which the manual says is 31kW.

I think the blue pipe coming into the house is 25mm outside diameter.

Ok mate so you need flow and pressure testing

Nope to what?

Nope to your question - "Has anyone actually tested your flow and pressure (static and dynamic) since the upgrade??"

I clicked on 'Reply With Quote' this time!

Okay Tony no worries have you manage to get anybody to test it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock