Search the forum,

Discuss New torch - opinions please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Beckett

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

i need to get a new torch for work and am looking at the Makita 18v jobby. I wouldn't normally spend £30 on a torch but figured as I already have makita power tools and batteries it will save me money in the long run on the battery's. It will be used for servicing and repair work Mainly... checking flues in lofts, working in cupboards, inside boilers etc...

Has as anyone used these power tool torches before and if so are they any good?

thanks in advance.
Alex

Last edited:
254dcb8590778684e20184a7a2c989bf.jpg
27782eaa2527dd4912cd0a5f47fb428c.jpg
Yes I have them. They are pretty good. Apparently the non led ones zap battery.

I use a led head torch can't fault it, it's so much brighter than the makita and you don't need to carry it, it's always in front of you and it looks at what your looking at.

Cant see the point in carrying these big bulky / heavy torch's if only doing service work, plenty of small compact LED ones available that will attach to boiler, an cheep s chips to buy, As Thermological says head torch leaves hands free

I have the 18v makita LED torch. It's great, I use it all the time

Are head torches like gloves lads lol. I hate use ing gloves but have actually got used to them.
tried head torches but can't seem to have patience to keep them on , usually wrive them off after 2 mins.

I have the 18v Halogen one, its also great & awesome for those jobs on the roofs pace or under sink, I don't wanna look like a coal miner with a head torch lol!

Iv heard the new makita led one has a much longer run time so might be a better purchase.

Are head torches like gloves lads lol. I hate use ing gloves but have actually got used to them.
tried head torches but can't seem to have patience to keep them on , usually wrive them off after 2 mins.

Yeah you definitely get used to them sometimes I find it's still on my head half a mile down the road lol

I use the Sealey rechargeable led torch. They last about 3 hours and take about 3 hours to charge. They are very bright with magnets so you can stick it on a pipe ect. Cost about £25 -30.

LED head torch and cree hand torch for me, both always in my tool bag.

We have a snap on dealer who comes to our place and I got an LED Lenser off him, it's amazing! Also, I have a floodlight from b and q (£30 ish I think it was) - it's like a security light but it's a rechargeable 5 watt led type and fills the roof space with light. I keep it charged between calls on the dash of the van, so the battery has never run out, but then again, my longest job is about 2 hours. The makita ones seem to be all bark and no bite, and I'm a huge makita fan!

Ive got a wireless led floodlight from screw fix, its brilliant for lighting up a room, also got a few waterproof inspetion lamps and a good thrunite torch

LED Lenser P7, pocket sized, batteries last for months and that powerful that I used to use it at nights when out with the dog for a quick spot of lamping occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New torch - opinions please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi all, I've been getting some plumbing quotes for an en suite project for my home (based in the east of England), and wanted to find out opinions of whether anyone thinks they're decent quotes of not? I've already ripped out the existing vanity/loo/shower tray/screen/tiles. I've also lifted...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
I am looking for some basic advice please My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm 30HXi boiler burning LPG housed in a ground floor attached storage room running 16 radiators including 6 doubles and a standard low output shower on the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm new on the forum, I'm a gas service and repair engineer rather than a plumber. I used to work for a big company, now self employed. I do some install work too but nothing too big as I work alone and to be honest I'm not quick enough at installation work and not experienced in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock