Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss New to the buisness . Info required. in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Pauld1962

Pauld1962 DiddlyP

Hi .. I am GSR . Been doing combi repairs mainly and swaps.. I've been asked to remove old gravity system and install combi . My thoughts would be to drain everything down removing all old tanks and cap off all in airing cupboard... Then route flow and return under landing floorboards to new boiler location in kitchen . All other services are available there.. My question is ..am I missing something regarding the capping off and flow/return .

Many thanks ... Diddy

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Its a bit hard to say without seeing it

3. Pauld1962

Pauld1962 DiddlyP

Hi Scott...Sorry don't have any pics ...its a very old system ...no valves just a pump and microbore pipework to rads... There is is some 15mm stuff so work has been done at some point .. Cheers

Diddy

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

this is an honest opinion i would re pipe the lot, chances are the 10mm is going to be nearly blocked with crud / going to give you problems when you flush the system

5. Pauld1962

Pauld1962 DiddlyP

I considered that but the customer isn't too happy with the disruption, concrete floors throughout ..!! She does have paperwork from BG regarding Powerflush 2 years ago .

6. ShaunCorbs

any pipework in the concrete floors? and tbh that doesnt mean toffee

7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have never done one but I didnt think you could flush microbore .. anybody ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ShaunCorbs

its not the best and doesnt work 70% of the time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ant Parkes

Ant Parkes New Member

One gravity to combi conversion I did ended up with new drops to a couple of rooms anyway due to higher pressure disrupting pipework under concrete floor / making them a lot more noticeable, losing pressure etc.

10. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Beware paul chances of this being 100 per cent successful is very small i would recommend you repipe it all on a drop type system abandon the pipework in the concrete floors , cover yourself by explaining to the customer that this may work out and your reasons why ie you are pressuring old pipework not a good idea , debris in there even after a BG powerflush ha ha chances that was done properly is very small , if it gonna be done do it right otherwise it will bite you . cheers kop

11. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It takes a lot of perseverance and sometimes even a couple of attempts. But I have had good results. (better then expected)

12. ShaunCorbs

whats the worst case normal cost for this would think its about the same as a re pipe ?

13. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It's not that I don't agree mate. Because you are right. But some people don't want the hassle of a re pipe.

14. ShaunCorbs

sometimes its the only way but do agree

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

Dead legs left in the domestic water sections?

I don't like dead legs in the CH circulation much either, TBH...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017