Currently reading:
New to forum. Plumber from North Scotland

Discuss New to forum. Plumber from North Scotland in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjamie

Hello

I have been viewing this forum back & fore for the past 2 years now, it's great to hear other tradesman's thoughts on things related to the plumbing industry and I thought it was about time I joined.

My name is Marcus, I'm from Shetland Isles where I run a plumbing, heating & ventilation business. I served my time in Glasgow as a HVAC/R engineer & have worked with 3 different companies before I started on my own in January 2009. I do quite a mixed range of work in domestic, commercial & industrial places. We don't have mains gas in Shetland so the boilers I do work with a lot are oil. We do have a local town district heating system in the main town with just over 1000 houses & commercial buildings connected to it which I do a lot of work with. I do alot of air-source heat pumps which are quite popular up here, the odd ground-source job, new builds, bathrooms, underfloor heating, maintenance work in various commercial buildings etc..

Look forward to hearing more from you all
Cheers

Welcome Jamie! My sister wants to move up to the Shetlands with her other half and kids, they visited a few times and found a few nice houses which they thought they'd knock into one. Had it's own moorings and everything, think they're leaving it until the kids have left school now though. Lovely place but too far out the way for me.

Also interesting to hear about how they deal with the lack of natural gas.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Shetland is a lovely place I think your sister would really like it up here Keefy. The district heating we have was installed in 1998, heated water is pumped around the town in underground pipes at 95 degrees, heated by rubbish being burned a waste to energy plant. Each house has its own heat exchanger which regulates the temperature down to 60 degrees for the radiators. I wasn't sure about it at first but it has proved very successful up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New to forum. Plumber from North Scotland in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back