Search the forum,

Discuss New pump required on system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil T

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Hi all,
I was round at a customers the other day and he mentioned that his top floor rads weren't heating up (they are in converted loft). As it was on a tank and cylinder system I checked where the tank was sited and found that the top of the 2 rads are actually 30cm above base of tank. I bled the rads but obviously as not enough pressure i got no water out of them. There is a grundfos ups 15-60 pump on the system but obviously not strong enough for the top 2 rads.
I don't do much heating work, mainly bathrooms and maintenance work, so any recommendations on a better pump to suit this situation would be appreciated.
Thanks

Seal heating system and fit a correctly sized pump

As shaun has said pressurise the system you will probably find pump will be ok then . cheers kop

The grundfos pump is probably big enough for the job but is a circulator, not a pump as such.

The f&e tank must be above the highest radiator in order to heat the rads.

If the tank cannot be raised then the system could be pressurised to give enough head to heat the radiators but this would be conditional on whether or not the boiler is suitable for this.

No room to move f&e as loft has been converted and that's where rads are .. water cistern and f&e are in cupboard at side of one of converted rooms.
What does pressurising system entail?

Thanks for the info guys
Need to call back to customer to check out what the boiler is, whether it's suitable and to see if there's enough room near it for exp vessel and prv

Thanks for the info guys
Need to call back to customer to check out what the boiler is, whether it's suitable and to see if there's enough room near it for exp vessel and prv

Definitely best place for expansion vessel and kit is usually close to boiler.
If that proves impossible you could fit the expansion vessel remotely, also the filling loop anywhere handy for to use.
But the pressure relief valve should be fitted close to boiler IMO.
If the current set up has the water fill level at same height as highest rads, then they will work, but obviously not ideal. Lower rads would have been more sensible.
If you tried fully bleeding the upper rads while the pump was running, it sometimes works and rads will fully fill if pump was on flow pipe.

Thanks again
I put the heating on whilst I went to do the job i originally was called to do then bled the rads after about 30 mins. Both just gave up the ghost after around 1 min.
As I said, i will check out the boiler and that, and size up the work involved and if it's out of my comfort zone I think I'll pass the job over

Quick job to move the F and E up , is there room ?

Sealing the system will work but that may bring other problems

Understand it could lead to other problems such as weaknesses in fittings or rad valves so as above, I'll weigh up whether it's worth it to me

Understand it could lead to other problems such as weaknesses in fittings or rad valves so as above, I'll weigh up whether it's worth it to me

Be aware that some systems will draw air into the upper rads if you try bleeding them when the heating pump is running. You can be deceived if you hear the hiss of air, but it is air sucking in.
If the system all looks sound, no obvious leaks, then hopefully okay to convert to sealed. Got to replace radiator valves if leaking at spindles, or TRVs if weeping at seal at pin.
I would get the customer to sign an agreement that any possible leak due to increase of pressure, although unlikely, is their risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New pump required on system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the AUTO (adaptive mode) setting on this the new pump or which mode it is best set at (recently had our old 3-speed pump replaced with the above smart...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock