Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss new head for gas torch in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

welcome to the forums tb,have you used the all singing and dancing primus head yet? do you know if it fits the orange bottles?

2. mitchellplumber

mitchellplumber Guest

Get yourself a heat mat and a super-fire 2. happy days :0)

3. TBServices

TBServices Guest

Thanks Gas Man!

Ive always used a superfire since my apprenticeship days and have never found need to change, since i keep being able to replace the parts for free, so unfortunatley not used the primus head.

4. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson Plumber GSR

I found the primus/sievert gas very dirty. My preference is Mapp gas as I can get the heat I want with a smaller flame and the heat is there if there's water in the pipe.

5. K S Channa

K S Channa New Member

I have a super fire 2, and find that it burns the pipe and fitting. Can I change the burner tip for a better soldering flame and do I need to change the jet as well??

6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

what gas are you using?

7. K S Channa

K S Channa New Member

Propane blue cylinder...

8. ShaunCorbs

that is strange, do you have it on full on the regulator/ gas tap on the torch

9. K S Channa

K S Channa New Member

I adjust the flame accordingly, but not happy with the soldering.

10. ShaunCorbs

Never come across this before and I use super 2 and map which is hotter, fittings get slightly discoloured but nothing much / a bit of steel wool won't fix

11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Keep the flame back slightly more from the fittings and don't keep it on the fitting much when it reaches soldering temperature.
    If you were used to soldering with an old type blow lamp, especially if on butane, you maybe are finding the SF2 flame too powerful and concentrated.
    I use propane cylinders with my SF2, same as you, and I think it is more than enough power usually.
    Maybe think of changing the flux you use? I still use traditional grease based flux which is not too corrosive and solder flows well, but have to be careful not to overheat it