Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss new head for gas torch in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. jase158

jase158 Guest

Looking for new head for gas torch, found this one at plumb centre:

Rothenberger swirl flame burner & jet

Anybody know what swirl flame is?

or jet flame?

I want a smaller flame then the standard so it doesnt burn as much.

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Maybe swirl flame is a more controlled, concentrated flame, but I am just guessing. I use the Rothenberger adjustable type, brazing torch that fits straight to the propane bottles, but it's hard on gas.

3. SimonJohns

SimonJohns Trusted GSR

The swirl flame. It creates a flow of gas that when the nozzle
    Is placed the correct distance from the pipe will cause the flame to wrap around the pipe

The jet, refers to the jet on the torch. Or if it was a boiler it would be called an injector

I personally wouldn't use anything other than a superfire2 and thats what the twist nozzle is for

But if your going to buy one PTs have the best deal on a superfire2 ATM

4. jase158

jase158 Guest

got a super fire atm but not sure on replacement.

5. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

it will fit the SF/SF2 small brass one works great its the one i use

6. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

let me get this right!.
    the piper_alpha rig i have at the moment that melts 15mm pipe and sets fire to skirting boards in 10 seconds dead (now confined to the un-used tools list). you can actually buy a replacement nozzle that takes a less aggressive flame?

7. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

yep,my super fire 2 was torching stuff as well until i fitted the smaller nozzle

8. jase158

jase158 Guest

you mean the swirl?

9. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

the sf2 comes with the one on the left of the picture i replaced it with the small brass one on the right

10. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

is it quieter than the standard, as it scares me!.

11. steveafoss

steveafoss Plumber GSR

What is the part Number for the nozzle on the right of picture as i have the super fire 2 and also have the (piper alpha rig) nozzle one fitted ok for 22mm or above but not much fun using in an airing cupboard on 15mm

• Like Like x 1
  12. jncalderc

jncalderc Guest

u can interchange the heads and they are only about £9.00 each exc vat for the Rothenberger. just use the one u feel most comfortable with.

13. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

14. jncalderc

jncalderc Guest

Thats it only advice from me on the subject is oil the small allan screws on the torch head often as if they become blocked changing them can be a freakin nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TBServices

TBServices Guest

I must have had 3 or 4 service kits for my superfire 2 and I got them all free from rothenberger reps at my local plumb centre. I use primus/sievert gas instead of the rothenberger stuff, it's cheaper and easier to control the heat I find.