Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss new head for gas torch in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. jase158

jase158 Guest

Looking for new head for gas torch, found this one at plumb centre:

Rothenberger swirl flame burner & jet

Anybody know what swirl flame is?

or jet flame?

I want a smaller flame then the standard so it doesnt burn as much.

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Maybe swirl flame is a more controlled, concentrated flame, but I am just guessing. I use the Rothenberger adjustable type, brazing torch that fits straight to the propane bottles, but it's hard on gas.

3. SimonJohns

SimonJohns Trusted GSR

The swirl flame. It creates a flow of gas that when the nozzle
    Is placed the correct distance from the pipe will cause the flame to wrap around the pipe

The jet, refers to the jet on the torch. Or if it was a boiler it would be called an injector

I personally wouldn't use anything other than a superfire2 and thats what the twist nozzle is for

But if your going to buy one PTs have the best deal on a superfire2 ATM

4. jase158

jase158 Guest

got a super fire atm but not sure on replacement.

5. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

it will fit the SF/SF2 small brass one works great its the one i use

6. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

let me get this right!.
    the piper_alpha rig i have at the moment that melts 15mm pipe and sets fire to skirting boards in 10 seconds dead (now confined to the un-used tools list). you can actually buy a replacement nozzle that takes a less aggressive flame?

7. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

yep,my super fire 2 was torching stuff as well until i fitted the smaller nozzle

8. jase158

jase158 Guest

you mean the swirl?

9. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

the sf2 comes with the one on the left of the picture i replaced it with the small brass one on the right

10. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

is it quieter than the standard, as it scares me!.

11. steveafoss

steveafoss Plumber GSR

What is the part Number for the nozzle on the right of picture as i have the super fire 2 and also have the (piper alpha rig) nozzle one fitted ok for 22mm or above but not much fun using in an airing cupboard on 15mm

• Like Like x 1
  12. jncalderc

jncalderc Guest

u can interchange the heads and they are only about £9.00 each exc vat for the Rothenberger. just use the one u feel most comfortable with.

13. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

14. jncalderc

jncalderc Guest

Thats it only advice from me on the subject is oil the small allan screws on the torch head often as if they become blocked changing them can be a freakin nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TBServices

TBServices Guest

I must have had 3 or 4 service kits for my superfire 2 and I got them all free from rothenberger reps at my local plumb centre. I use primus/sievert gas instead of the rothenberger stuff, it's cheaper and easier to control the heat I find.

16. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

welcome to the forums tb,have you used the all singing and dancing primus head yet? do you know if it fits the orange bottles?

17. mitchellplumber

mitchellplumber Guest

Get yourself a heat mat and a super-fire 2. happy days :0)

18. TBServices

TBServices Guest

Thanks Gas Man!

Ive always used a superfire since my apprenticeship days and have never found need to change, since i keep being able to replace the parts for free, so unfortunatley not used the primus head.

19. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson Plumber GSR

I found the primus/sievert gas very dirty. My preference is Mapp gas as I can get the heat I want with a smaller flame and the heat is there if there's water in the pipe.

20. K S Channa

K S Channa New Member

I have a super fire 2, and find that it burns the pipe and fitting. Can I change the burner tip for a better soldering flame and do I need to change the jet as well??

21. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

what gas are you using?

22. K S Channa

K S Channa New Member

Propane blue cylinder...

23. ShaunCorbs

that is strange, do you have it on full on the regulator/ gas tap on the torch

24. K S Channa

K S Channa New Member

I adjust the flame accordingly, but not happy with the soldering.

25. ShaunCorbs

Never come across this before and I use super 2 and map which is hotter, fittings get slightly discoloured but nothing much / a bit of steel wool won't fix

26. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Keep the flame back slightly more from the fittings and don't keep it on the fitting much when it reaches soldering temperature.
    If you were used to soldering with an old type blow lamp, especially if on butane, you maybe are finding the SF2 flame too powerful and concentrated.
    I use propane cylinders with my SF2, same as you, and I think it is more than enough power usually.
    Maybe think of changing the flux you use? I still use traditional grease based flux which is not too corrosive and solder flows well, but have to be careful not to overheat it