Search the forum,

Discuss New Gledhill Hot Water Cylinder Tappings Not in Line in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyzplace

Hi,

I'm a diy plumber who is replacing and relocating the vented indirect HWC. I've ordered this copper unit from Gledhill but when coming to install it have noticed that the coil inlet / outlet ports are not in line. The top port is about 10mm back towards the cylinder and points slightly up. Should I. E worried that the cylinder has been damaged or is this normal?

IMG_2654.jpg

Thanks! Andy

Normal if copper just bend them back slightly , also do you know you need to be G3 reg to install anything regarding hot water cylinder ?

It`s a vented system Shaun?

Doesn't matter they changed the regs a few years back to include vented and unvented doesn't matter if size eg under 15l etc

Normal if copper just bend them back slightly , also do you know you need to be G3 reg to install anything regarding hot water cylinder ?

Also to, why Using pushfit fittings ? Dont get those plumbers sometimes

Doesn't matter they changed the regs a few years back to include vented and unvented doesn't matter if size eg under 15l etc

Hello ShaunCorbs,

We don`t have to be G3 Registered / `qualified` to install Vented Cylinders.

The Regulation change that you might be thinking of is that all new Cylinder installations have to be notified to LABC or via a Competent Persons scheme - apart from straight swap installations - although the new Cylinder has to be CE / BS approved for Energy Efficiency - the correct sized coil / spray foam insulated etc.

I believe that Corgi operate a Plumbing Competent Persons scheme which should encompass installing & notifying new Hot Water Cylinder installations ?

Gas Safe may be allowing notifications of Vented Hot Water Cylinders as part of the `Heat Producing Appliances` notifications procedure - I have not installed a new installation vented Cylinder for years [apart from replacements] so although I am registered Gas Engineer / Installer [41 years Corgi / Gas Safe] I am not sure about that.

Certainly I have not heard of Heating Engineers and Plumbers having to register with a Plumbing Competent Persons scheme just to be allowed to install / notify replacement Vented Hot Water Cylinders.

Chris

Last edited:
Hello ShaunCorbs,

We don`t have to be G3 Registered / `qualified` to install Vented Cylinders.

The Regulation change that you might be thinking of is that all new Cylinder installations have to be notified to LABC or via a Competent Persons scheme - apart from straight swap installations - although the new Cylinder has to be CE / BS approved for Energy Efficiency - the correct sized coil / spray foam insulated etc.

I believe that Corgi operate a Plumbing Competent Persons scheme which should encompass installing & notifying new Hot Water Cylinder installations ?

Gas Safe may be allowing notifications of Vented Hot Water Cylinders as part of the `Heat Producing Appliances` notifications procedure - I have not installed a new installation vented Cylinder for years [apart from replacements] so although I am registered Gas Engineer / Installer [41 years Corgi / Gas Safe] I am not sure about that.

Certainly I have not heard of Heating Engineers and Plumbers having to register with a Plumbing Competent Persons scheme just to be allowed to install / notify replacement Vented Hot Water Cylinders.

Chris

Yes you do

You don't need to notify straight swaps but you need to be G3 reg

https://www.logic4training.co.uk/blog/plumbing/changes-to-g3-building-regulations/

Can supply the main G3 regs if you want

Yes you do

You don't need to notify straight swaps but you need to be G3 reg

https://www.logic4training.co.uk/blog/plumbing/changes-to-g3-building-regulations/

Can supply the main G3 regs if you want

Hello ShaunCorbs,

I have almost all of the Building Regulations including Part G - I think that You are misinterpreting the Requirements of Part G3 relating to Vented Stored Hot Water to mean that Installers need to be `Trained - Assessed & Registered`.

The wording in the Training Provider`s document that You gave the link to is misleading [accidental ?] - they have mentioned Vented Hot Water Cylinders because if one took Training ans Assessment with them you would be `trained` / informed about the Requirements within G3 for installing Vented Hot Water Cylinders as well as Unvented Hot Water Cylinders etc.

A very basic explanation
- the G3 Regulations for the installation of Vented Hot Water Cylinders require that there are measures to prevent the Cylinder overheating - overheat thermostat [non auto-resetting] in Immersion Heaters and controlling the Cylinder Zone Valve - and that there is a means of expansion and that any expanded water discharges into a correctly manufactured / correctly supported CWS Tank which is manufactured to NOT deflect / sag / burst if the expanded Hot Water cycles into the Tank.

Those regulations / requirements do not need to be trained for if Plumbers / Heating Engineers are going to be installing Vented Hot Water Cylinders as it is already part of their trade / work experience.

An Installer of Vented Hot Water Cylinders does NOT have to be G3 Assessed & Registered.

However - an Unvented Hot Water Cylinder / all Unvented Hot Water Storage is a completely different appliance which can turn into a `Steam Bomb` if incorrectly installed.

Chris

Last edited:
Hello ShaunCorbs,

I have almost all of the Building Regulations including Part G - I think that You are misinterpreting the Requirements of Part G3 relating to Vented Stored Hot Water to mean that Installers need to be `Trained - Assessed & Registered`.

The wording in the Training Provider`s document that You gave the link to is misleading [accidental ?] - they have mentioned Vented Hot Water Cylinders because if one took Training ans Assessment with them you would be `trained` / informed about the Requirements within G3 for installing Vented Hot Water Cylinders as well as Unvented Hot Water Cylinders etc.

A very basic explanation
- the G3 Regulations for the installation of Vented Hot Water Cylinders require that there are measures to prevent the Cylinder overheating - overheat thermostat [non auto-resetting] in Immersion Heaters and controlling the Cylinder Zone Valve - and that there is a means of expansion and that any expanded water discharges into a correctly manufactured / correctly supported CWS Tank which is manufactured to NOT deflect / sag / burst if the expanded Hot Water cycles into the Tank.

An Installer of Vented Hot Water Cylinders does NOT have to be G3 Assessed & Registered.

Chris

im sorry but you need to read up

as of 2009

"The main change in terms of notification and qualifications is that all hot water storage systems, including vented cylinder and thermal stores are now included under the G3 regulation and qualification, Notification via competent persons scheme or gas safe is always required even if the capacity is under 15L.

The installer must belong to a competent persons scheme"

take it how ever you like i read competent = qualified simple

im sorry but you need to read up

as of 2009

"The main change in terms of notification and qualifications is that all hot water storage systems, including vented cylinder and thermal stores are now included under the G3 regulation and qualification, Notification via competent persons scheme or gas safe is always required even if the capacity is under 15L.

The installer must belong to a competent persons scheme"

take it how ever you like i read competent = qualified simple

I previously described that We do NOT have to be `G3 / Unvented Hot Water` Assessed & Registered to install Vented Hot Water Cylinders and I am absolutely correct.

I described how You might have been thinking of the Regulation change that requires new installation Vented Hot Water Cylinders to be NOTIFIED under the Building Regulations.

Notified by either a Plumbing Competent Persons Scheme or via the Gas Safe notification scheme for `Heat Producing Appliances` - I am absolutely correct - as YOU have just stated.

There is NO requirement for installers of Vented Hot Water Cylinders to take `Unvented Hot Water` Assessment & Registration - as I previously stated.

As far as I know there are no other mandatory `Stored Hot Water systems` Training, Assessment & Registration requirements to meet the Building Regulations Part G / G3.

Your comment - `take it how ever you like i read competent = qualified simple` shows that You are the one who should `Read up on it` - Read up on what I already wrote.

Plumbers who are not in a Competent Persons scheme would need to join a Plumbing Competent Persons scheme such as CORGI operate - BUT they would NOT need to take a `Unvented Hot Water` Assessment & Registration to be able to notify Vented Hot Water Cylinders.

I took the `Unvented Hot Water` ACOPS assessment as soon as it was brought in - which had no expiry at that time - since the 5 yearly reassessment was brought in to fall in line with most other ACS type Assessments I have renewed it.

At the last reassessment Vented Hot Water Cylinders were briefly spoken about but it was just to mention what I wrote above and a few more requirements - it was not deemed necessary to go into any further detail because everyone there was a Plumber - Heating Engineer or Heating Installer.

I have been a registered Gas Engineer for over 41 years - with CORGI when voluntary - CORGI when mandatory and now Gas Safe - so I am in a `Competent Persons scheme` and therefore able to notify Vented Hot Water Cylinders via them if I installed one as a `New Installation`.

I would be notifying the Vented Hot Water Cylinder under the `Heat Producing Appliances` notification requirements of the Building Regulations.

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Gledhill Hot Water Cylinder Tappings Not in Line in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock