Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss New designer radiators filled with iron balls in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Hi, I've just bought two new designer radiators. When fitting the valves I noticed that theres a good few tiny metal balls inside. Just wondering, are these from the manufacturer process... I guess they are and will need a flush before fitting to remove as many as possible. Is this normal? None of my screwfix specials ever had this.

Thanks

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

no not normal and tbh shouldnt be there defo flush before installing

• Like Like x 1
  3. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Make sure you remove all of that bud and have a mag filter on the return back to your boiler if any of that gets in the system it could cause you alot of problems cheers kop

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Will do, thanks chaps.

These are the final two downstairs rads for which I'll be setting up new central pipe work ready for a downstairs separate zone, then bridging to the old system until I can get everything else ready for the new unvented to go in - so luckily it'll be hooking up to the old system for now.

Mag being fitted on the new..

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Did you take any pictures of it mate?

6. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

I'll run some off tonight before I flush them.

They aren't amazing, the usual heavy designer curved bar design. Plumbfix came in at over £200 a piece, these were a third of that... I'm not expecting miracles in quality. I had checked that both were low carbon steel etc... They are rusted inside too (surface). Is this a concern?

7. ShaunCorbs

Just make sure you have plenty of inhb in once you install them 2-3 bottles

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Will do.. It'll be running for a good 6 months before the system gets changed. Presume it'll prevent further build up prior, even in such a short time span

9. ShaunCorbs

Yes it's a must with cast steel rads if you don't they won't last long

10. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Are these casts the absolute dogs of the radiator world? I was surprised to see the extra cost plumbfix wanted for the same material/design thinking they must be sturdier

11. ShaunCorbs

Will be thicker / better quality

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Oh that would have been fun, this tall one weighs in at 40kg... So in effect heavier if it were thicker

Does the inhibitor actual stop errosion or merely slow it down

13. ShaunCorbs

It removes all of the oxygen / stop it being produced so yes

• Like Like x 2
  14. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear :)

Thanks again Shaun

15. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Is that what it does? You learn something new every day :)
    I thought inhibitor stopped the system water behaving as an electrolyte and thus preventing electrolytic corrosion, I had no idea it stopped oxygen production.