Search the forum,

Discuss new career skills or train 4 trade skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie251006

im have been looking at these two plumbing courses and i am stuck on which one to choose if any. so anyone who has been on one of these courses please leave a comment because i would value the opinion of someone who has gone through either one of these and have been able to come out the other side and earning a decent wage in the plumbing career?

I'm hoping that you haven't signed up with either since you posted this. Don't tell me, they sent an adviser "salesman" out to your house who's on 100% commission to get you to sign up? They also probably charge £5000-£6000 to do a distance learning course. Distance learning? Teaching yourself from home? They are only sales companies who happen to deliver sub-standard plumbing training.

Before I joined this forum I didn't realize there were so many 'fast track' plumbing courses out there! Hmmm

thanks guys on further research i have decided to obtain my plumbing qualification at college because it seems to be the more successful route and i will be getting alot more training and help for five times less the price of any fast track course

thanks guys on further research i have decided to obtain my plumbing qualification at college because it seems to be the more successful route and i will be getting alot more training and help for five times less the price of any fast track course

Wise choice my friend!

It certainly is wise if you do not need to earn a living for your family / mortgage or whatever.

I chose distance learning as I have to earn a certain amount or my wife and two kids will be enjoying a permanent holiday under the bridge. It's not ideal, but for people with resposibilities, distance learning is good.

They do charge alot, I suppose. Which does suck. But if I want to be a plumber, what other choice do I have?

It certainly is wise if you do not need to earn a living for your family / mortgage or whatever.

I chose distance learning as I have to earn a certain amount or my wife and two kids will be enjoying a permanent holiday under the bridge. It's not ideal, but for people with resposibilities, distance learning is good.

They do charge alot, I suppose. Which does suck. But if I want to be a plumber, what other choice do I have?
Well said Rod I am in the same boat as you. That could have be me saying it word for word, Good luck mate!

Hi I have recently joined my partner with train for trade skills I was a bit concerned at first as it is a private college and I was thinking god is it a scam etc but looking back on here and after thinking if it was that bad a con a scam a fast track etc etc why are they still going? These forum pages go back to 2008 we are in 2011, the funding goes through barclays bank too. There are many people who have came out this successful. My fella gas worked in the building trades for years now and a hotel as maintenance the past 3 years they are now getting rid of him as he has no qualifications we were looking at this course but even more so beings his being made jobless, I think these courses are great for people that cannot afford to leave full time work to go to college and also get accepted and do it when you can, this course isn't fast tracked you do it in your own time it all goes on how much you want it and how much time you put in, many people are slating these courses when at the end u get a real city and guilds qualification. There isn't alot of hands on work but then again you have the virtual DVD which is a great piece of equipment modern technology eyh! As with most jobs and colleges when qualifying you would find it very hard getting straight into work bein paid te highest you could get for qualifications even people at uni etc. I think it all depends on how much you want it and it would obviously help like most courses if u went on placement or found a plumber to go around with, my fella gas done alot of plumbing just wants the papers he has the experience already which is a bonus so at the end he will be a very happy man there is positive and negative about lots of things and everyone is entitled to thier own point of view personally some people on this site are too opinionated.

some people on this site are too opinionated.

Thats like about every plumber I know . . .

Actually it is one of the job requirements:

Plumbers we are looking for:
- ability to winge
- anti-social old gits
- opinionated and self obsessed individuals to start immeidately . . .

At least we know our shortcomings!

Yes that's right! There maybe not alot of hands on but there is alot of written work and reading work to do at the end of the day if it's something that someone wants to do it you will do it to the best of your ability and do anything to add to stuff, as I have said my fella is able to do all plumbing anyway so all he wants out of it is papers he does plumbing all the time so has alot of experience, also there is a person on one of these forums that had a reply of quite a few jobs as soon as he passed he could do everythin other plumbers done who were there and went full time he was not as quick but had more knowledge from his own research and from DVD and his module work, also train for trade skills I can find info about them going back to 2002 maybe later if I wanted and there is people on here from that time talking about it to but your saying train for trade skills name is only 2 years old? I can't see what some peoples problem is with this course yes it is part time and when you can and there is 6 weeks altogether of full training in Workshop after work is done people pass and find work and set up their own businesses out of it n if the people that Employ them will make it thier decision as to whether they meet thier standards or not cuz sometimes papers mean nothing if u don't put the time and effort n have experience n that is with any job, my fella will benefit from this and have papers which is what would be an advantage for some jobs

I didn't mention any other college either? Everyone entitled to thier own opinion tho ey! Some would think Havin the DVD written modules and practical workshop would be better than some, after all it is something u can do when u can eh part time if you work full time u ent got time to go to a college full time and if u need to put food on the table and bills to pay n u already have experience in plumbing then why not

You are classed as a time sever plumber after 5 years with no qualifications
Experience means everything
I'm not being funny but these city and guild qualifications are simple they teach you very little

You are classed as a time sever plumber after 5 years with no qualifications
Experience means everything
I'm not being funny but these city and guild qualifications are simple they teach you very little

couldnt disagree more. who said you are time served with no quals afer 5 years??

They may be simple but if u already have knowledge and qualifications and just want to have some sort of qualification on paper to prove u are qualified and there are alot of jobs out there on all areas of work that ask for city and guilds qualifications

They may be simple but if u already have knowledge and qualifications and just want to have some sort of qualification on paper to prove u are qualified and there are alot of jobs out there on all areas of work that ask for city and guilds qualifications

and so they should, talk about dumming down of quals, now people are suggesting you dont even get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes exactly it really is my fella done it for years self employed with his mate who is q electrician and plumber plus works has a handyman doing the basics now he knows most of it just wants the papers he is on the modules too ATM if u get the experience in by having hands on experience like yourself you will obviously be more experienced and confident you just have to make the most of it don't u, good luck mate

Hi there, i hope this reply will help some new comers who are considering courses with Train4Trade. I totally agree with themyth3, they just send the sales person who got no interest in you, just their commission. I learned the hard way....and I regreted ever since. Few months ago, I lost my job...and claimed for PPI ( which they said is included with the price of the course, yeah yeah..what a gimmick ) so after more than 30 days of applying, the installment payment is still not made...so today I was told that, they will take 30 days to process the application and I will not get paid for that month...what a bunch of rubbish.....honestly, don't be hasty but join the college course which is cheaper. It will take bit longer, but it will be all legit.

So be aware guys....I am in debt cos of this course and I am really peeved off with this company....misleading....

final words: Be careful about that salesman......( I genuinely thought he was one of the tutor damn )

Hi

Having read some of the comments, I feel I am qualified to reply. I have trained with New Career Skills and although the course is quite expensive, I found them good and knowledgeable and they gave me the confidence to start out on my own.

This is a new career for me so taking 2 or three years in college was not an option, as I needed to learn along side my full time work. However with the job market as it is and having been made redundant twice in 5 years, I am really pleased I took the course and now am starting to get regular plumbing work.

If I was just our of school, I would go to college and learn that way and hopefully get an apprenticeship. However if you are already working and can commit to the distance learning, then it is not a bad way to go. It is not cheap but I cannot see another option. I have also done a couple of evening courses at local colleges, but found them a waste of time, as 3 hours a week is not enough time to get anything done.

New career skills are expensive but I found their tutors knowledgeable and professional and they want to help you when you finish the course. In fact I am taking one of their students for a weeks job experience next week.

The hardest thing is trying to get experience as most plumbers do not want to
take on a novice, understandably.

Hope I have been helpful

Paul

Hi there,

I'm in the same boat family to support and could afford to live of apprenticeship even if I got excepted, how did you get on with your course? Who did you do it with? What stage you at now?

Thanks

Hi

Having read some of the comments, I feel I am qualified to reply. I have trained with New Career Skills and although the course is quite expensive, I found them good and knowledgeable and they gave me the confidence to start out on my own.

This is a new career for me so taking 2 or three years in college was not an option, as I needed to learn along side my full time work. However with the job market as it is and having been made redundant twice in 5 years, I am really pleased I took the course and now am starting to get regular plumbing work.

If I was just our of school, I would go to college and learn that way and hopefully get an apprenticeship. However if you are already working and can commit to the distance learning, then it is not a bad way to go. It is not cheap but I cannot see another option. I have also done a couple of evening courses at local colleges, but found them a waste of time, as 3 hours a week is not enough time to get anything done.

New career skills are expensive but I found their tutors knowledgeable and professional and they want to help you when you finish the course. In fact I am taking one of their students for a weeks job experience next week.

The hardest thing is trying to get experience as most plumbers do not want to
take on a novice, understandably.

Hope I have been helpful

Paul

Hi

Which centre did you do the course at? I think they have 2, been looking at there 1 in Doncaster.

Do you help you set up your own business like they say on website? How long did course take and cost?

Thanks

Just bumping this to bring all contributors to the attention of all the threads we have on our forums about Train 4 Trade Skills.

There have been A LOT of people who feel they have been missold courses by Train 4 Trade Skills. Many taking legal action.

Please see this for electrical course threads on our sparky forum: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t..._cp.r_qf.&fp=37fc7606ff53045&biw=1500&bih=958
This for plumbing course threads on our plumbing forum: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t..._cp.r_qf.&fp=37fc7606ff53045&biw=1500&bih=958

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new career skills or train 4 trade skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock