Search the forum,

Discuss new boiler installation story in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm!

Agree with Gas Safe no big deal to have boiler cover off and run the boiler, just so long as its only for test purposes.

The cover does not appear to be the combustion chamber sealed cover so its not dangerous excepting if you stick your hand into it and either get burnt off the combustion chamber or shocked from an electrical contact.

Seems to me all these courses people are going on are scaring people unnecessarily about boilers and people are simply over reacting and claiming people should be reported for nothing much at all. Perhaps the courses rely to much on regulation and not much on science to explain gas installations?

As to the time the guy is taking, well we don't know how much work was required to start with. He is perhaps a newbie unaccustomed to how long things usually take and giving a time from what they feel it should take from looking at a book.

The guy as said may be good just not experienced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah thats what i'm almost certain of he just does things that make him a sloppy worker. punctuality being a big one. Talking to him today he said he made a mistake in how much pipe work was involved at the begining and he aldo said he had trouble getting the old boiler off. He also told me hes trying to get a 5 year warranty on my boiler instead of the regular 2 and is trying to set himself up as a Glow Worm official installer.
Still i cant reffer him to anyone, i think it will be a while before he gets himself sorted and finds his groove.

i think you ment to say you cannot reefer him to anyone ,i would not wish any badness on anyone but this guy is a liability and needs to be told so or else you are a mug and he will move onto his next victim who may not wake up in the morning

I'd be surprised if Gas Safe does anything about this. An inspection costs them money and they're more interested in taking it in.

I don't think I'm cynical ...

Yeah i got it in writing today. They basically say that unless theres clear evidence of breaches in safety then i should go see trading standards. There authority is limited to just gas safety.

i am still stuck on 'up the ladder while you are holding it when fitting boiler in a 'garage''...?????????????
how high is the boiler mounted?

Sorry i didnt make it quite clear on the description. The boiler is in the front bedroom and the garage is integral so the house has got an extra floor basically. Its quite high and i think its the reason i didnt get of lot of quotes through the door.

I spoke to gas safe and told them everything i put up on here but they dont think its a breach of safety. I actually got it in writing today when i got home. They pointing me towards trading standards so i'll talk to them Monday.

Okay, this one is basically very easy,you need to go to the place were either your gasboiler or the storage tank is located and see if there is a silver flexible pipe.

I have come to this very late (been on hols) Maybe in the intrests of fairness could you
direct the fitter onto this website and this specific thread. Then he could present if he
wants to his side of things - the main point of this site should always be positive if
at all possible.

centralheatking

he was supposed to come today between 4 and 5pm.
Well 6pm i rang him, no answer this time. So rang the landline and spoke to the receptionist (wife i think) she was very polite and apologised for his abscense. Stuck at another job in Askham. I asked her to tell him to come monday now as its way to late to start anything.

I will consider that suggestion centralheatking but i think it might be better to do that after he's finished.

Hmm!

Agree with Gas Safe no big deal to have boiler cover off and run the boiler, just so long as its only for test purposes.

The cover does not appear to be the combustion chamber sealed cover so its not dangerous excepting if you stick your hand into it and either get burnt off the combustion chamber or shocked from an electrical contact.

Seems to me all these courses people are going on are scaring people unnecessarily about boilers and people are simply over reacting and claiming people should be reported for nothing much at all. Perhaps the courses rely to much on regulation and not much on science to explain gas installations?

As to the time the guy is taking, well we don't know how much work was required to start with. He is perhaps a newbie unaccustomed to how long things usually take and giving a time from what they feel it should take from looking at a book.

The guy as said may be good just not experienced.
As per jacks0003 previous posts this guy left an uncommissioned boiler with cover off and said it is aright to use.
It was not a case of him just just testing it with cover off Bernie.
This is totally unacceptable and a number of major safety regulations have been broken here. I'm not one for sticking someone in it but this guy is a liability and should be reported. There are plenty unqualified fitters doing a better job than this guy.

Okay, this one is basically very easy,you need to go to the place were either your gasboiler or the storage tank is located and see if there is a silver flexible pipe.

lol this person only ever talks about filling loops even in another post

it all depends if there is a braided hose to it though?,

The picture of the boiler showed it is the new GlowWorm Ultracom2, and here I presume it is the Combi version in the range, and so there is no need of a filling loop as this is integral in the boiler itself.

Does anyone think its unsafe to leave the boiler switched on (with the cover on this time) but not got the condensate tapped into the drainage. There is a condensate trap in the boiler which i'm supposed to emty every so often but once its tapped into drainage there is no need of this. He has done some tests on it but i know he's not gone through the commissioning yet. I think he's trying to do it with his mate here to make sure he gets it right. Although he's doing it very safely he's not filling me with great confidence, if hes not got the confidence in himself how can i. I just got off the phone with him, he actually apologised for not making it on saturday. I think having had to talk to the wife might have had something to do with it. Says he'll be here Monday to finish off 4.30pm, we'll see.

I never stated that i wanted the old control panels removing ( thermostat and timer panel) these are wired up to the boiler but thermostat is on doorway to bedroom and timer panel is in lounge. I thought it would just be standard practice to remove these but they are still there. Just wonderd if it was standard practice for gas fitters to remove them as part of the old boiler.

You aren't one of those people who stand behind you as you work?

I hate that - many tradesmen I know have lousy timekeeping so no surprises there. Sounds like he is a bit unorganised, but maybe you would have been better to get out his way and let him get on with it.

Y

you may well be responsible for jinxing this job as much as the dazed gas fitter.
And I don't know why you are outside at midnight holdinhg a ladder for him - its a bit wierd mate . . .

Ever heard of the word 'NO'?

You both sound as crazy as each other to me - I sure as hell would not work for you if I got to witness your general banter, I can tell you that for nothing!!!

Dont mean to be rude but you sound like a bit of a control freak to me - in other words a nightmare to work for, and no doubt seeing problems where there aren't any . . .

I could not agree more , I suspect both are well suited very strange indeed

If a customer stands behind me while I'm working, after a while I stop and chat to them. After around 15 minutes they sort of realise nothing is being done and they're paying for my chatting time and make an excuse they have to get on and do something else!!

I imagine the boiler cover was off for test purposes, I can't see why he would have left the front off for any other reason.

My remark was that if it had been commissioned he could have left the cover and unless somebody intentionally or accidentally put their hand in side they would probably come to no harm.

Most boiler covers that are not part of the gas train simply hook on and off anyway and don't serve any safety purposes other than what I have already explained.

No i dont stand behind people when they are working, nobody can work when people are stood behind them i know that. I've had plenty of trademen in here i just let them get on with it. As for this thread getting tedious i know what you mean i'm getting tired of writing it. But i've started it now so i feel like i've got to finish it.

i did have a job where there was a stub of lead coming out of a floor and i had to replace an old stopcock, well the customer wanted to make a video for his dad to see when he came back from where ever , well i was out in the van looking for bits and i turn around and this nutter is standing there with a video camera lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new boiler installation story in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock