Search the forum,

Discuss New Boiler and TRVs but gas filling rad 7 months on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You amazing bunch were able to help me out greatly a few months ago and I’m hoping you will be able to do the same this time around.

7 months ago we had a new boiler fitted and had TRVs added to 3 out of 4 rads (we decided against the kitchen one closest to the boiler as we will be remodelling in there soon anyway). Two weeks ago I noticed the sitting room rad (situated the farthest from the boiler) was only halfway heating and that the pressure on the boiler was flashing a whopping 4.1! We immediately bled all 4 rads to where water was gushing out but the pressure only dropped to 2.2. When we started it up again we got a low pressure error so opened up the filling loop and had it firing up again at 2.5 with no further errors.

A couple of days later we just so happened to have a GSR guy come in to fit a new gas hob and I used the opportunity to quiz him about it (the guy that did the work in the first place was on holiday for another two weeks). He emptied a rad, like at least a mop bucket full or two, but the lowest we got it to was 2.1. Same pressure error came up when we tried to fire it up again and again we had to open up the filling loop to have it operating as normal. We contacted the fitter suggesting the pressure gauge is faulty and he has yet to come back to us re having someone out to look at it.

Two weeks have passed and although we are still waiting, the boiler had been happily functioning as normal sitting at 2.5. Then yesterday I noticed the sitting room rad had dropped again! This time it was only heating 1/3rd of the way up and the boiler pressure had gone up to 3.5. I checked all others and they were totally fine. I then went about bleeding the thing again but after reading up online put a match to the ‘air’ that was coming out and it caught. I finished bleeding it and it seems to have gone back to normal but naturally I have a few concerns.

Firstly, there is bloody gas in there! The water was black and stinks so there is obviously corrosion going on but having had a new boiler fitted and apparently the system was then flushed, should I been getting sludge this bad?

Secondly, could this have caused the issue with the boiler pressure not reading right or is it more likely two different issues just happening at once?

Thanks for all your help!

Fiona

Seen this a few times, the gauge on your boiler is faulty or blocked with sludge, get the installer or another engineer to change the gauge, also you may want to consider a magnetic filter as sludge in a new boiler is never a good idea

Thanks @Jones82 I’ll be sure to mention when we finally get a response.

Would it mean the system wasn’t flushed correctly in the first place for sludge to be existing still or is this something that couldn’t be avoided with old rads/pipework?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler and TRVs but gas filling rad 7 months on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock