Search the forum,

Discuss Need to restart Glowworm 30hxi after water pressure loss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. The water pressure got too low and my boiler switched itself off (actually, it stopped heating and was making a whirring noise and there may have been a flashing light, I turned it off quickly). I have brought water pressure back up to about 1 bar and am attempting to reset following instructions in the manual (central heating water temp control to zero, turn mains switch on) wait, and nothing happens. I'm hoping this is an easy fix to get it restarted. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Re read the reset instructions, Turn off main switch (right hand control) wait 5sec turn it back to number 1 no need to touch the temp control (Left control) is the display showing anything ? have you turned the Temp control back to original position ? are all other controls calling for heat ? e.g. Programmer Room thermostat.

Thanks for the response @jtsplumbing. Ok, so done as directed. Set heating to continuous to ensure heating is triggered. Room thermostat high. I set the temp control (on left) back to original position, turned off main switch (on right), waited 5+sec, turned main switch back to 1. No indication of any change on boiler, no noise, no light, no nothing.

Check switch on wall is on check and replace 3amp fuse check main fuse board (consumer unit) to see if anything has tripped, if all these items are ok then you will need to call someone out, maybe something blown in boiler.

I knew a Gloworm heat only boiler that stopped switching on because the rotary on/off control stopped actuating the sliding on/off switch behind the rotary control (the sliding switch had popped out from behind the plastic casing). I think that was a cxi model which I think is same era as yours?

Basically, I've been told that that generation of Glowworm boilers don't like being switched on and off and are prone to failure if you so much as look at them askance. May be a callout job, sorry.

Hi All thanks for the responses. I have been told by the Servicing agents that it needs to be topped up (as the water pressure had dropped) but needs to be done by a plumber from the loft. Local guy on the way.

Hi All thanks for the responses. I have been told by the Servicing agents that it needs to be topped up (as the water pressure had dropped) but needs to be done by a plumber from the loft. Local guy on the way.
Pressure only needs topping up if you have a sealed system, if open vent system you will have tanks in the loft, if pressure is down or tank in loft is empty none of these will stop the display from working , that display window will show a fault number and the small indicator above it will flash red, if that display is not working you have a power supply fault. did you check the power supply to the boiler , replace the 3 Amp fuse ? If that fails to work there is another internal reset but you need to remove the combustion cover to access it and you need to be gas safe to legally do that so I am not going to tell you where it is located, that part tripping will shut the boiler down i.e. no display showing , don't bother looking in instructions it will not tell you where it is.

Last edited:
When you say nothing happens do you mean it won't fire up or there are no lights or LCD display on and it is like it is dead? Apart from try the fuse or make sure everything is on and calling for heat there is not much more you can do apart from top up pressure to around 1 and time to get a GSR engineer in.

When you say nothing happens do you mean it won't fire up or there are no lights or LCD display on and it is like it is dead? Apart from try the fuse or make sure everything is on and calling for heat there is not much more you can do apart from top up pressure to around 1 and time to get a GSR engineer in.

read his first post sounds like boiler has overheated and tripped the internal reset if you know these boilers you will know where it is located, wont find it in fault chart or any mention of it in instructions .

@jtsplumbing, agreed I don't want to mess with gas.
@Darren Jackson , The display is dead. Doesn't fire up. Doesn't do anything when I switch to on position. It was flashing red initially, didn't get fault code as I was concerned and switched it off quickly. After I switched it off it has not come back on again. Fuse is good, nothing tripped on fuse box. Looks like it needs resetting. Local plumber left yesterday saying its a boiler problem. The servicing agents on the phone seemed pretty quick to tell me what was wrong and sounded like it was an effort to bother talking to me, so I guess he didn't get the full picture, and I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Need a GSR engineer.

@jtsplumbing, agreed I don't want to mess with gas.
@Darren Jackson , The display is dead. Doesn't fire up. Doesn't do anything when I switch to on position. It was flashing red initially, didn't get fault code as I was concerned and switched it off quickly. After I switched it off it has not come back on again. Fuse is good, nothing tripped on fuse box. Looks like it needs resetting. Local plumber left yesterday saying its a boiler problem. The servicing agents on the phone seemed pretty quick to tell me what was wrong and sounded like it was an effort to bother talking to me, so I guess he didn't get the full picture, and I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Need a GSR engineer.

For anyone that knows these boilers its a quick fix takes longer to remove the front of the boiler, unfortunley because of forum rules I cant tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need to restart Glowworm 30hxi after water pressure loss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock