Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Need to replace cartridge in dripping tap in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. BuzzBee

BuzzBee New Member

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and hope you can help me. We have H&C m0204 lever taps in the kitchen and it has started to drip and I need to replace the cartridges but for the life of me don't know how to get to them as always had standard taps before. And the counter staff at screwfix were no help when I went in to ask. Have tried to take the plastic top of the top of the taps but they don't want to move. Do I have to turn the tap a certain way and lift them off ? Your help would be most welcome

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Welcome to the forums BuzzBee, first rule is only post a question in one section or the mods will warn you for spamming.

Any chance of a photo?

3. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Looking at those on the screwfix website, I'd bet the white caps either unscrew or just pop out to reveal a screw that will let you pull the handle off. If they've been in a while they may need a little persuasion.
    ae235.jpg

4. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

May be worth looking at the back of the handles for a grub screw, if there isn't one then the white caps deffo come off.

5. BuzzBee

BuzzBee New Member

My apologies rpm after I posted I could not find my post so did not think it had posted.
    Here is a photo of the taps they are just over 2 years old. We are in a hard water area so as you can imagine need to replace washers or in this case ceramic cartridges on a regular basis

Attached Files:

6. BuzzBee

BuzzBee New Member

thanks JCplumb checked no grub screw at back of tap will have another go at caps, these ones are fitted flush so hoping I can get new ones to fit as they are going together pretty messed up.

7. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Once you have the tap head off, take it and a cartridge to a local merchants, not one of the big sheds.
    They'll sort out the right replacements for you.
    If you go to screwfix or one of the big sheds you'll have a hard time getting the right cartridges as they're usually sealed in a blister pack and you have to buy it before you know for sure that it's the right one. They want you to measure everything to within a mm and count the splines on the cartridge top, not worth doing when a good indie merchant will just try cartridges from his selection and get you the right one without any hassle.
    You can also come away knowing your purchase has helped a local guy pay his mortgage and not helped some faceless director pay for his 2nd yacht :)

• Like Like x 1