Search the forum,

Discuss Need to identify 2 zone heating system issue in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all i've come cap in hand to ask for help identifying a heating issue i've found myself involved in. Backstory is all the pipework is done and the system is operational. Zone 2 valve is operated by a flowmasta wireless thermostat. The boiler has a switched live and is not operated by flow alone. The issue is that when Zone 2 heat is called the heating in Zone 1 comes on as well.

I was called in after plumber no.2 said it needs a relay to work properly. The diagram of the system as i understand it,

heating-issue-png.32268

I went with the task of adding a relay and came out thinking pipework wont allow the system to work as 2 independent zones regardless of relays. Told the builder this and just had a call from a new guy on site who says it needs a 3 channel controller (it currently has a 2) and all will be well.

Now, sure my knowledge is limited but wont that achieve exactly the same thing as is already happening?

We're 2 visits in and i still don't think this will work but I seem to be the only one who thinks this can't be solved electrically. A very experienced handy guy said it needs the 3 port replacing with 2 x 2 ports or another pump to operate zone 2 alone, that makes sense to me it logically checks out.

So my plea is that you guys can shed some light on the best solution for this system before I go get opinion number 3...which i think is madness.

heating-issue.png

Hi all i've come cap in hand to ask for help identifying a heating issue i've found myself involved in. Backstory is all the pipework is done and the system is operational. Zone 2 valve is operated by a flowmasta wireless thermostat. The boiler has a switched live and is not operated by flow alone. The issue is that when Zone 2 heat is called the heating in Zone 1 comes on as well.

I was called in after plumber no.2 said it needs a relay to work properly. The diagram of the system as i understand it,

heating-issue-png.32268

I went with the task of adding a relay and came out thinking pipework wont allow the system to work as 2 independent zones regardless of relays. Told the builder this and just had a call from a new guy on site who says it needs a 3 channel controller (it currently has a 2) and all will be well.

Now, sure my knowledge is limited but wont that achieve exactly the same thing as is already happening?

We're 2 visits in and i still don't think this will work but I seem to be the only one who thinks this can't be solved electrically. A very experienced handy guy said it needs the 3 port replacing with 2 x 2 ports or another pump to operate zone 2 alone, that makes sense to me it logically checks out.

So my plea is that you guys can shed some light on the best solution for this system before I go get opinion number 3...which i think is madness.

View attachment 32268

Hi Robin
I may be reading this wrong.
Is the Diagram at the bottom how things are or how you think they should be?

If It were me, personally I would use a three channel clock, the relevant stats change to an S plan (three zone valves) and fit a by-pass.

Ok great thank you Last. That's put my mind at ease. If that is ideal world then is there another way to achieve zoning with the methods already described? or is s type the only way?

You only need a 3-channel programmer if you want separate timings for the two heating zones; otherwise a 2-channel programmer will do.

You will have to get rid of the mid-position valve and replace it with two zone valves. If you don't, whenever zone 2 is calling for heat either zone 1 or the HW zone will be heated at the same time. The reason for this is that a mid- position valve always has one port open, even when the valve is not in operation.

You will also need a bypass.

A second pump won't help.

Cheers doit that's very clear. Zone 2 already has a programmable wireless thermo so it's effectively already 3 channel system, at least in my head. So adding a 3 channel controller will do very little. I think.

I think the idea of the extra pump was to t off before the existing pump and replace the zone 2 valve so pump 2 only feeds zone 2 making the Y plan a standard setup. But 2 zone valves makes more sense.

Thinking out load now if the existing 2 channel is kept and the mid position valve is replace with 2 zone valves the heating will be n/c but the water would be n/o?

I ask as i noticed the controller had 'water off ' but 'heat on' wires so i guess it's geared up for a mid position.

So adding a 3 channel controller will do very little. I think.
That's correct. The 2- channel controller will control zone 1 and HW; the prog stat will control zone 2.

I think the idea of the extra pump was to t off before the existing pump and replace the zone 2 valve so pump 2 only feeds zone 2 making the Y plan a standard setup. But 2 zone valves makes more sense.
Teeing -off before the existing pump might work, but it's adding to the complexity. Replacing the 3-port with two zone valves, is the tried and tested way - and cheaper
Thinking out load now if the existing 2 channel is kept and the mid position valve is replace with 2 zone valves the heating will be n/c but the water would be n/o?
I ask as i noticed the controller had 'water off ' but 'heat on' wires so i guess it's geared up for a mid position.
It doesn't work like that. For a 3-port to work correctly, there must also be a wire to the water on terminal. The wire from heating off tells the valve to move over to the heating only position. A 3-port works like this:
HW On + CH Off = HW Only
HW On + CH On = Both On
HW Off + CH On = Heating Only

When you use separate 2-port valves for CH and HW, they are supplied from the CH On and HW On terminals of the programmer, via their thermostats. The HW Off terminal is not used.

Zone 2 already has a programmable wireless thermo so it's effectively already 3 channel system, at least in my head. So adding a 3 channel controller will do very little. I think.

I meant, get rid of the programmer and Prog RM stat and install a three channel. Not install a three channel as well as the things you have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need to identify 2 zone heating system issue in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock