Search the forum,

Discuss Need to find out how I can remove soft-close top fix toilet fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the job of trying to remove the fittings for an existing soft-close, top-fix, toilet seat.

The problem is that I cannot get the 2 existing bungs and one stubborn machine screw out of the holes in the porcelain. The screw just goes round and round in the hole - it won't unscrew out and it won't tighten either, for that matter).

Is there a particular technique for removing:
(a) both of the rubber bungs and,in particular,
(b) a machine screw that seems to have its thread broken?

I attach 4 photographs showing the position as it is now.
IMG_20180909_145520_3CS.jpg IMG_20180909_145152_6CS.jpg IMG_20180909_145112_1CS.jpg IMG_20180909_145102_2CS.jpg

I have already tried WD40 and have also tried applying pressure against the washer from under the screw whilst continuing to try to unscrew it from above, but without success. Someone previously suggested to me cutting the head off the screw but surely that would make the matter even worse as everything else would still be left in the hole.

I imagine this is not the first time someone has had this problem. Anyone got any ideas that might help? As a DIYer I have never come across these type of fittings before and do not even know what is actually inside the 2 holes in the porcelain - all I can see is some rubber at the top and apparently a metal thread deeper down.

Many thanks,

Dave

Sometimes on these you have to lift the screw at the same time as unscrewing for it to be removed. Or use a junior hacksaw to cut through the screw. Once out you do not necessarily have to remove the black bungs from the toilet (unless you are fitting the same toilet seat, in Which case leave them there). Try using a flat head screw driver to push them all the way through. Job done

Job done - Thread closed. After a further struggle I had to bring out the angle grinder to slice the head off the screw. I was then able to push the residual rubber and metal into the void below the 2 holes in the porcelain. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need to find out how I can remove soft-close top fix toilet fittings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of the tap. However now I can't remove it again as it seems I must have used the wrong screw head and have rounded off the head. Please see attached...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, sorry to have to post this but we got a new bathroom a few months ago and the toilet seat was loose at one side. The cistern is integrated and the seat is top-fixing. I assumed it was quick release but couldn't find a button to push, there are no little grommit hidden screws or...
Replies
Views
We had an Aqualisa rise shower fitted about 4 years ago - the rail has no screws - there is a locking mechanism and a tool provided to remove it. Unfortunately the fitters fitted our rail upside down so the locking mechanism is at the top so difficult to see (and against the wall). The aqualisa...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to remove a knackered old Ideal Standard top fitted soft close seat but it won't budge. It looks like there are Allen bolts inside each of the metal barrels, but they won't move and the key is slipping. Short of taking a hacksaw to it, is there something I'm missing?
Replies
Views
I'm trying to pull a Polypipe SA62B access plug and cap out of the soil vent branch (which I think is a Floplast SP190). It's a bit of a cramped space and it feels VERY stuck. Any suggestions? I'm removing it so I can fit a pan connector. Three years ago my contractors installed my new SVP...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock