Search the forum,

Discuss need help routing washing machine waste downstream of U trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reddwarf4ever

Just read another post about the washing machine creating a vacuum and pulling the water out of the trap, resulting in bag egg smells coming out from the sewer through the sink drain plugs, wonder if this is my issue and not stale water from the washing machine....on my drain trap picture there are three connectors....I use the top left one for the washing machine and the right one for the dishwasher......should one of these three have a vent connected ? the sink plugs are always left out
thanks

Ideally I would like to buy a small trap with a washing machine hose type inlet and outlet...i.e. a washing machine hose inline trap..
the problem is that the washing machine is used infrequently and the water in the waste hose becomes stale, when first used, this causes a bad smell from the sink drain plugs.....if I could install a seperate trap, then route the waste downstream of the main sink trap, this would solve the problem.

having trouble sourcing such a device.

UPDATE
wondered if I use a bottle trap with adapters to take washing machine hose ( assuming I can get them ) then route to a swept T piece after the sink trap......
image.jpegimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of the loop on the washing m/c hose as shown in picture 3 for starters it`s full of water which will stagnate as you say the washing m/c isn`t used often.

Will do......shouldn't such an assembly have an air vent ?

Get rid of the loop on the washing m/c hose as shown in picture 3 for starters it`s full of water which will stagnate as you say the washing m/c isn`t used often.

Any water down the length of that hose would stagnate tho so can't see the point? Plus it would only be pumped out to the waste...

You could fit a washing machine screw on type fitting after the waste trap, you won't get that horrible smell then as it is currently pumping out & the smell entering up through the plug holes!

Any water down the length of that hose would stagnate tho so can't see the point? Plus it would only be pumped out to the waste...

Was under the impression that he knew from an earlier post that the hose had to "fall" then saw the loop under the sink.

does this have an integrated trap.....if I use this then what will prevent sewer gasses entering the washing machine...?

does this have an integrated trap.....if I use this then what will prevent sewer gasses entering the washing machine...?

It has a built in check valve, Iv installed a few & never had any issues!

It has a built in check valve, Iv installed a few & never had any issues!

Hi
sounds like this could be what I need....is it a sprung loaded check valve ? assume it's as good as having a conventional water based trap, would this be a correct assumption ?
thanks......

Something else I need to know, should a trap assembly such as McAlpine SK1A have an air vent ?
My setup is similar but there is a third spigot, which I assume could be for an under sink air vent from the trap assembly......McAlpine assure me an air trap is not required.....I thought this was a Reg....as the sinks have no overflow and the sink plugs could theoretically be fully inserted ensuring no air could be drawn in....
thanks

yes, bad egg (H2S) from the sink holes each time the washing machine first starts.

2nd line of post #1 if you can bother to read it!

When someone else asks me a question I deem it polite to answer and offer a response..... I have never felt the need for rudeness or sarcastic comments on a forum before, but then I am me.......I will remove the dead leg in the hose, as you so kindly pointed out, but in case there are other factors which are adding to my issue, lack of venting etc, I will ( with your permission of course ) continue to explore them...

When someone else asks me a question I deem it polite to answer and offer a response..... I have never felt the need for rudeness or sarcastic comments on a forum before, but then I am me.......I will remove the dead leg in the hose, as you so kindly pointed out, but in case there are other factors which are adding to my issue, lack of venting etc, I will ( with your permission of course ) continue to explore them...

Chill! My comment wasn`t aimed at you and there is a reason plus you are getting good free advice generally speaking that is.

Last edited:
Has the sink got an overflow? A pong of gas will be pushed up the waste from through the overflow on sinks when water goes down waste. Overflows need cleaned.

No overflows on either sink.....incidently the ' loop' in the picture is the dishwasher, the washing machine is the other side and I have removed the loop, the dishwasher is not an issue....
will install the fitting from screw fix as suggested for the washing machine....
still would like to

should a trap assembly such as McAlpine SK1A have an air vent ?
My setup is similar but there is a third spigot, which I assume could be for an under sink air vent from the trap assembly......McAlpine assure me an air trap is not required.....I thought this was a Reg....as the sinks have no overflow and the sink plugs could theoretically be fully inserted ensuring no air could be drawn in....
thanks

Thank you,I agree there's no need for rudeness,there are two types of plumbers,those who work on new builds and open a box and put it together like a jigsaw and maintenance plumbers,I've done new build in my twenties then concentrated on maintenance for the last 30 years,
I always ask them to explain what's happening,consider what's been said and I am wondering if the smell is coming from your washing machine,so I suggest from my experience and have found on numerous occasions that you should take off the flexi overflow pipe on the sink combination waste and smell it and see if it's partially blocked as this pipe generally doesn't come into much use and people who prepare a lot of fish quite often find the smell is coming from there, it will only take a minute to take off this pipe,could save you a lot of time and effort.

Thank you for stating that you don't like rudeness or arrogance

Has the sink got an overflow? A pong of gas will be pushed up the waste from through the overflow on sinks when water goes down waste. Overflows need cleaned.

sorry just read your post after posting the same comment as yours

Aren't those spigots above the water seal of the trap, so venting would be pointless - even with the plugs in.

Venting of drains is required to protect the trap seals so the drain needs to be vented on the downstream side of the trap - to stop the trap being syphoned .

No one was rude to you, friend.

Would you like to retract the post?

Aren't those spigots above the water seal of the trap, so venting would be pointless - even with the plugs in.

Venting of drains is required to protect the trap seals so the drain needs to be vented on the downstream side of the trap - to stop the trap being syphoned .

there is the stench stack going out to the roof space which obviously vents downstream of the trap.....but I really thought in the past I had a vent from the manifold, before the trap, which clipped just under the sink......could be wrong though......I am going to go with the screw fix washing machine adapter , solves the problem what ever the cause......
Didn't mean to start a war on this forum.....have been doing minor house maintenance for family and friends as long as I can remember, worked as a process technician in a oil refinery for 20+ years so understand the science and mechanics of fluid movements Venturi effects seal traps etc etc......just had a simple problem to solve, which partly involved regs for plumbing / waste, which I have little knowledge of......can consider this post closed as don't think I am going to get the answer I want and have decided on a course of action

thanks to everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you,I agree there's no need for rudeness,there are two types of plumbers,those who work on new builds and open a box and put it together like a jigsaw and maintenance plumbers,I've done new build in my twenties then concentrated on maintenance for the last 30 years,
I always ask them to explain what's happening,consider what's been said and I am wondering if the smell is coming from your washing machine,so I suggest from my experience and have found on numerous occasions that you should take off the flexi overflow pipe on the sink combination waste and smell it and see if it's partially blocked as this pipe generally doesn't come into much use and people who prepare a lot of fish quite often find the smell is coming from there, it will only take a minute to take off this pipe,could save you a lot of time and effort.

Thank you for stating that you don't like rudeness or arrogance

There is no overflow.....have written a final post thanking everyone, just getting a bit too heated for me......In my experience , plumbers have been the easiest of trades to talk to, always friendly and ready to explain things....

best wishes, good luck and take care....

There is no overflow.....have written a final post thanking everyone, just getting a bit too heated for me......In my experience , plumbers have been the easiest of trades to talk to, always friendly and ready to explain things....

best wishes, good luck and take care....

There are approx over a dozen replies to your post and tbh about a dozen of them are attempting to help you. It isn't easy to understand things without being able to see everything and obviously you are unsure yourself.
I feel all the plumbers have been very interested in helping you, and remember their time has been given free.

We will have just agree to differ.....I help many many people on various forums and never keep reminding them my help and advice is FREE.........and my main question was never answered.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to need help routing washing machine waste downstream of U trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock