Search the forum,

Discuss Need advice on boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nony

Hi. Live in rented Ccomodation having issues with boiler. It's a myson apollo. Have cover with British gas.
apologies in advance for any dumb/obvious questions.

sunday the boiler wouldn't stay on. It would work fine for 20-30 minutes and then the boiler makes all clicking noise and the pilot light keeps trying to "flame up"evry 10-15 seconds. Not no heat or hot water but not working properly.

Engineer scheduled for today. Boiler stopped working Tuesday. It wouldn't flame up at all. Engineer showed up this morning and it seemed to be working properly. No issues. couldn't replicate the noise but I had taken video of it when the appointment was booked. Noticed he was running the boiler with the thermostat at high where it had previously been on low. Asked if this would make a difference and was told no.

he replaced the gas valve and put the thermostat setting back to low.

turned heating on this evening and after about an hour the same clicking noise and pilot light flickering trying to "flame up". Switched the thermostat to high and clicking noise stopped. Everything seems ok.

turned the heating off via wall thermostat and the timer at the boiler and the pilot light won't "flame down". Have tried turning the heating on and off at the timer on the boiler and no change still at "full flame". Radiators have cooled down.

is this normal for the boiler with the thermostat set at high? I have also tried setting the thermostat back to low and no change.

Do I need to call British gas back out? Am I still burning gas as if the heating is still on? I don't really want to call them back out if I am just ignorant to how it's supposed to be working.

Many thanks for any advice.

Hi Nony,

I'm not a plumber but I have experience with property letting and your landlord should have provided you with the user manual for all of the appliances in the property. If the landlord didn't provide one you may be able to get one on-line if you google it with the boiler make and model. It sounds to me like you need to take a look at the manual for the correct operation. As far as I know you should not be turning the boiler thermostat up and down, it is normally set to a suitable setting high enough to provide the heating that you need and to avoid limescale build-up inside and this is usually about 60% to 70%.

As I understand it the pilot light should be on all of the time to facilitate the lighting of the boiler. If you have the boiler thermostat set too low it may be turning off the pilot light and the clicking that you hear is the ignition system trying to re-light the pilot light. The on / off control of the boiler is normally done from either the timer or the room thermostat on the wall. The boiler thermostat is only to regulate the temperature that the boiler runs at.

As I said I'm not a plumber or a heating engineer but I have used a few different boilers in my time.

Cheers

A Myson Apollo is a very old boiler and I am surprised that BG are working on it and even got it on a service contract , Best to call them back out !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice on boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am having a problem with my main 24he boiler where the flame is constantly clicking on and off with the heating and when using hot water. Some times the flame failure light comes on but it ignites again after a few seconds. The plumber has changed a couple of sensors on the boiler and checked...
Replies
Views
Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the 1st time this season I found a problem with the boiler not running on one of the zones. If I turn on the heat to zone 1 I hear the system...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame to call for heat, and the receiver seems to be working ok with green light, but heating is just not firing. I really am not sure what the problem is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock