Search the forum,

Discuss Need advice on a macerator install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys. As the title suggests, I have a customer wanting a toilet and basin fitted under her stairs which is located in the centre of the terraced house. Would a Macerator solve the issue of getting rid of the waste water without an internal drain to link on to? I've not installed a macerator before but on reading up on them I'm unsure whether it's doable. Do all macerators need a vent pipe to atmosphere? Any advice would be a great help.

RPM has gone missing lol .
Yes you could do it providing you can get the waste pipe into the soil stack .

RPM has gone missing lol .
Yes you could do it providing you can get the waste pipe into the soil stack .
The idea would be to run the waste from the macerator at low level to the back of the house, where there's a drain. I'm unsure whether the pipe will need to fall or because it's pumped should it be level? Do all macerators need a separate vent pipe? Can it go to a drain that serves the bathroom above or does it need to get to the soil pipe?

They can pump vertically and horizontal for a fair distance, but they are designed for straight runs , with minimum bends ( pull any bends ) etc not elbows going everywhere. If you install it use 22 mm copper not overflow pipe, I run a mile if I see plastic.

I will try to contact RPM
But I think he is having a break from here

They can pump vertically and horizontal for a fair distance, but they are designed for straight runs , with minimum bends ( pull any bends ) etc not elbows going everywhere. If you install it use 22 mm copper not overflow pipe, I run a mile if I see plastic.
Does it not have to be 1 1/4" solvent for the discharge?
Also what about connection to an open drain or does it need to go into a soil stack? The Ines I've seen seem to use a vent pipe. It will be picking up a WC and basin.

The only one I did with a vent pipe was a huge one that went in a factory . I have never seen a vent pipe on anything domestic.
I am no sani expert but 1 1/4 to the sani , but I have always used 22mm copper from the sani to the soil pipe , would never risk plastic on that . Just use a strap on boss on to the soil pipe , biggest problem is the run to the soil pipe.
If the customer wants it , drum , and I mean drum it in to them that all that goes down the pan is what comes out of them , NOTHING else .
No wipes , No kitchen roll , No tampons etc etc etc

The only one I did with a vent pipe was a huge one that went in a factory . I have never seen a vent pipe on anything domestic.
I am no sani expert but 1 1/4 to the sani , but I have always used 22mm copper from the sani to the soil pipe , would never risk plastic on that . Just use a strap on boss on to the soil pipe , biggest problem is the run to the soil pipe.
If the customer wants it , drum , and I mean drum it in to them that all that goes down the pan is what comes out of them , NOTHING else .
No wipes , No kitchen roll , No tampons etc etc etc
I've been looking at using the Grundfos Sololift3 and it states the horizontal pipe should fall by 1%. So over a 6metre run it only needs to fall 60mm, which doesn't seem a lot to me at all.

I've been looking at using the Grundfos Sololift3 and it states the horizontal pipe should fall by 1%. So over a 6metre run it only needs to fall 60mm, which doesn't seem a lot to me at all.

Yep doesnt sound like a lot , but if thats what they say !!
Dont forget when the macerator has ground everthing up and then thats mixed with water from flushing and a basin , the whole lot is very liquid so wont require that much “fall”

Yep doesnt sound like a lot , but if thats what they say !!
Dont forget when the macerator has ground everthing up and then thats mixed with water from flushing and a basin , the whole lot is very liquid so wont require that much “fall”
I was just surprised with the 1% fall. I know it's pumped but a 10mm fall for every metre seems like it just isn't enough.

The fall is fine, just follow the MI and it'll be fine. The system is pumped so between the slight fall and the pump it works well. The fall is more of just an assist to the pumping and to stop liquid from collecting at any low point.

The fall is fine, just follow the MI and it'll be fine. The system is pumped so between the slight fall and the pump it works well. The fall is more of just an assist to the pumping and to stop liquid from collecting at any low point.
Ok thanks. Do you know why they state that the discharge has to rise first? Is it just to assist the fall?

Please supply a link to this 1% fall.

Please supply a link to this 1% fall.
I was told about the 1% fall by Grundfos Technical but they also emailed me an installation manual.

IMG_4001.PNG

IMG_4002.PNG

No chance lol , what if the likes of rolland rat and his chums fancy a nibble ,
What are the odds, 1 in thousands? Plus there would be evidence of teeth marks.

PS
1% fall is the minimum not the recommended and needs enlargement after a certain distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice on a macerator install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock