Search the forum,

Discuss Need a Multimeter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bibbs118

Gas Engineer
Evening.

I'm looking for a new multi meter, the only feature it has to have is what I think is called range finding. What I don't want it to do is trip the MCB when I test for volts but its set on ohms.

Not looking for anything more than that, what do you suggest?

Thanks

fluke 117

I'm not sure auto-ranging can read your mind and switch between testing for voltage and resistance.

I have auto ranging on my hand held temperature meter.
If your only looking for a cheap multi meter, screwfix sell them from ÂŁ8 up.

Haha

It might not be called auto ranging.

Whatever it's called, how could a multimeter, or any device, know what your intentions are? Just can't happen.

If you put the probes onto a pair of wires, how can the multimeter know whether you want to know that there is a (or no) voltage, or whether you want to know the resistance of the circuit? Only you, the operator, can know what you want to test for.

Auto ranging can detect AC / DC and give accurate results across a huge voltage range but it can't tell whether you wanted to actually read the voltage, or forgot to turn off the power and really wanted the resistance...

Whatever it's called, how could a multimeter, or any device, know what your intentions are? Just can't happen.

If you put the probes onto a pair of wires, how can the multimeter know whether you want to know that there is a (or no) voltage, or whether you want to know the resistance of the circuit? Only you, the operator, can know what you want to test for.

Auto ranging can detect AC / DC and give accurate results across a huge voltage range but it can't tell whether you wanted to actually read the voltage, or forgot to turn off the power and really wanted the resistance...

My Flux Capacitor tester on the Delorean does auto ranging from 0-88mph

What I meant, I want a meter that will not trip the mcb if I have it set to ohms but put it on a live 240 cable. I wrongly assumed was most people could read AND understand my basic info request and not have to post the same request again using all the same words but in a different order.

Masood, the clue was in "what I think is called auto ranging".

Suggest you go to ............................. Maplins pal.

What I meant, I want a meter that will not trip the mcb if I have it set to ohms but put it on a live 240 cable. I wrongly assumed was most people could read AND understand my basic info request and not have to post the same request again using all the same words but in a different order.

That's a bit cheeky for a person who hasn't even joined yet.
If your trying to test current, get a current tester. If your trying to test resistance you should know you cannot when live.
I'm now off in the Delorean to go back in time before your last post.

Aaah, that's a very basic mistake to make. I can read, perfectly. I also understand English better than most. Like multimeters, however, I can't unravel the ramblings of a confused mind.

Maybe your request would have been more aptly expressed as "I don't know exactly what I want, nor can I describe it accurately, nor can I be sure it even exists, but can you help me find one please?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need a Multimeter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock