Search the forum,

Discuss Natural gas pipe sizing over 50 meter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

akingpage

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this site so "Hi". I am installing a worcester 37CDi in a warehouse unfortunately the closest the gas board can get the meter is on the other side of the warehouse which is 50 meters away! I am looking to size up the gas pipe but the table I use to work out my pipe sizes only goes up to 30 meters. Does anyone know of a pipe size chart that goes higher than 50 meter runs or can someone help me out with the calculation? specs are as follows:

Worcester bosch 37CDi = 3.9 m³/h (the only appliance on the system)
length from meter to the boiler = 60 meters ( have already piped up 10 meter in 22mm from the boiler)
Meter = u6 (not u16 meter as posted before)
bends = 6 elbows to the 22mm connection ( have already used 4 22mm elbows on the 22mm gas pipe from the boiler)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I see why you said I am entering the commercial section because of the u16 meter, I ment to put down a u6 meter.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this site so "Hi". I am installing a worcester 37CDi in a warehouse unfortunately the closest the gas board can get the meter is on the other side of the warehouse which is 50 meters away! I am looking to size up the gas pipe but the table I use to work out my pipe sizes only goes up to 30 meters. Does anyone know of a pipe size chart that goes higher than 50 meter runs or can someone help me out with the calculation? specs are as follows:

Worcester bosch 37CDi = 3.9 m³/h (the only appliance on the system)
length from meter to the boiler = 60 meters ( have already piped up 10 meter in 22mm from the boiler)
Meter = u6 (not u16 meter as posted before)
bends = 6 elbows to the 22mm connection ( have already used 4 22mm elbows on the 22mm gas pipe from the boiler)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
are you gsr ??

You cannot install this on a domestic ticket!

Sounds to me like he is GSR, but needs some guidance. Might be newley qualified.

Bit of advice, there is a reason your chart only goes up to 30 meters. You should know the biggest pipe size you're allowed to go up to on a domestic ticket.

Thanks for the replies, I am GSR and I am not newly qualified. I know that the maximum size of copper pipe I am able to use is 35mm copper. I have tried working within these perimeters. This is the closest I can get:

[meter]--------[A)35 meters of 35mm = 8.5m³/hr]------------[B) 30 meters of 28mm = 4.7m³/hr]-----------[C) 12 meters of 22mm = 3.9m³/hr][boiler]

There is also a maximum pipe volume you can work on with a domestic ticket. Don't remember what that is would have to check.

Thanks Roger you have clarified this for me, I am unable to install the gas section on my domestic ticket as the pipe volume is too large, I will need to get a commercial engineer to supply the gas for me. Thanks to all for your advice.

no you can install the pipe work , just need commercial engineer to test it and purge and commission it , also been in commercial property you can not install domestic boiler , again has to be done by commercial ticket holder !

no you can install the pipe work , just need commercial engineer to test it and purge and commission it , also been in commercial property you can not install domestic boiler , again has to be done by commercial ticket holder !
You are right about the purging and commissioning of the pipework but the not being able to install a domestic boiler in a commercial property I am questioning? The boiler is the only gas appliance and is running 3 domestic hot water points and 8 radiators. I don't think just because it is a commercial building a small installation like this warrants a commercial boiler install? I am going to get a commercial engineer to install the gas line up to the already installed 22mm gas pipe and purge and commission the boiler.

You are right about the purging and commissioning of the pipework but the not being able to install a domestic boiler in a commercial property I am questioning? The boiler is the only gas appliance and is running 3 domestic hot water points and 8 radiators. I don't think just because it is a commercial building a small installation like this warrants a commercial boiler install? I am going to get a commercial engineer to install the gas line up to the already installed 22mm gas pipe and purge and commission the boiler.
yes no probs, can you not reposition boiler ?
imo

Last edited:
I'd personally get a commercial guy to run pipework up to the 22, fit a valve and purge to this point. You can then connect up to here and test and purge from this point on as it is then back within scope.

Thanks for the advice Mike, sounds like the best option so far. Only problem is the gas board went around on Friday to install the meter and cant find the main! So might be waiting a bit longer, might just see what the cost differences will be between getting a commercial engineer to run the gas or get the gas board to install the meter closer to the boiler?!?

Any commercial gas engineers in or around Coventry who would like to quote for this work please contact me on 07961768920

I have had a bit of conflicting information on this, so far i have been told by several commercial engineers that seen as though I am able to run 35mm copper on my domestic ticket I can do the pipework myself as they are going to run the 60 meters from the u6 meter in 32 steel in any case?

I spoke to Gas safe and they have said that I can do the pipework run but the gas volumes would be too big for me to work on with my ticket so I will need a commercial engineer to purge the system, I was reading the trusty "essential gas safety" corgi book and it says that if I isolated the pipework at 0.035m³ intervals then I can purge each section and tightness test each section one by one ensuring I stay inside the domestic volumes for tightness testing?

How can I run the pipework myself if the maximum length of 35mm pipe I can run is 30 meters (insuring I stay within my 1mb differential pressure drop) my working out is just an example:

[Power]-[Flow rate ]-[Assumed diameter]-[Measured length]-[Effective length]-[Maximum length]-[Pressure drop]
[27kw]--[2.52m3/hr]------[35mm]-----------[30 meters]------[30 meters]--------[30 meter]-------[1mb]------

This working out tells me I cant install anything over 30 meters in length on a u6 meter because my pressure drop would exceed 1mb? (right or wrong?)
My questions are:
If I cant run the whole 60 meter in 35mm (due to potentially exceeding my 1mb pressure drop) how can a commercial engineer run the 60 meters in 32mm steel and stay within the 1mb pressure drop on a u6 meter?

Any help will be appreciated

I think you're getting yourself confused here. 30m of 35mm pipe will pass 8.5 cu m of gas per hour, and 30m of 32mm steel will pass 7.6 cu metres. This is over twice what you require so I would imagine 60m will leave you with a drop within specs.

Including the meter the maximum length of 35mm pipe that you can test and purge is about 17m including allowances for fittings. Without a meter the length is around 40m so you could in theory install, test and purge in sections. The problem is each section of pipe will require an isolating valve and test point. Also with volumes of .035 cu m a lit purge will be required.

35mm copper or 32mm steel will take 4.5m³ with a 1mb drop over 100m
Your 10m run of 22mm is too much. you have used up your 1mb drop on that.
32mm (1 1/4") steel is around £35 /6.5m length. Much cheaper (and better) than copper.

You can do it on a domestic ticket if you do it in sections. Test and purge as you go.

Run around 20m of 1 1/4" from the meter and valve it. (volume of 20m 1 1/4" pipe and meter inc allowance for fittings = 0.0325m³). Test and purge the section.
Run another 4 length of 1 1/4" (26m, volume 0.0318m³) and valve it again with a tee and test nipple in the section. Test and purge the section.
Run the 1 1/4" up to near the boiler then reduce to 22mm for the last couple of metres. Put a test point in the pipe work here too.

50m of 1 1/4" steel or 35mm copper will give a drop of around half a mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Natural gas pipe sizing over 50 meter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock