Currently reading:
National Grid

Discuss National Grid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to service a boiler today.
First tests I do is tightness/letby and then working pressure at meter and inlet on gas valve.
I was getting 10mbar at the meter working pressure. They only have the boiler, no other appliances in gas.
Boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 40CDi conventional.

Called transco as could have been a dodgy regulator. Or undersized pipework but I wanted to rule out the regulator first as standing pressure was only 21mb.

They attended when I wasn't there and changed the regulator but said nothing was wrong with the old. But they tested the meter/pressure when the boiler was in 'condensing mode' - you know when you restart the CDi's and it does the minimum rate thing for about 20 mins.

So he got a normal reading, as did I on minimum rate. But as soon as it got to max rate went straight to 9.5mb at the meter.

Turns out the run needs upping from 22 to 28 - apparently a guy did a new run which is about 9 meters with let's say 8 elbows in 22 and said everything was fine. They'd also left a 4m run of pipework completely unsupported practically hanging in mid air.

Question: do national grid have to know about boilers? Surely they'd know the boiler was in min rate mode and should have waited for max rate to kick in? Or do they rest the regulator differently?

Have turned off the boiler. Owner is gutted as they've just paid £30k having the kitchen tiled in cement tiles which is over the new gas run. Oops!

up that first as the rest aprox 6 m with 2-4 elbows should be fine

I just did the same calculation and thought the same!! Hopefully they'll not be more elbows than that - cheers Shaun

I just did the same calculation and thought the same!! Hopefully they'll not be more elbows than that - cheers Shaun

tbh doesn't matter, its down to nat grid after that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to National Grid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back