Search the forum,

Discuss Name that tool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I had to change a 3/4 inch rad valve today and the tail had 2 grooves instead of a hex key.

Is there a specific tool for these tails as I had to borrow another guys makeshift tool to get it out

Cheers

I know what you mean. It had a hexagon to put a spanner on, then stepped down on both sides go the different sizes.

Like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 322
Or leave the valve on the tail and then stick spanner on tail nut and unscrew tail.

Yea, sometimes if the old valve is to be dumped, then you could try making sure the valve body is tightened very tight up to its tail and then put a spanner on to the tail nut to remove tail, but also grips, Footprints or Stillsons on the body tightening the opposite way to keep it all in place. Good luck if it's on with Flax.

Isn't that style referred to as dog drive or is that the lungs on comp tank connectors. I'm pretty sure today's tools / monument do tools for both.

Loads of places sell them, had one for years, only problem is sometimes it's to big!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 297
don't know one remember the crane key. who was made by crane the valve/iron fitting manufacturers that's the one you need. aint used one for years thow ha ha you could do all the large radtails upto 11/2 ontth old hospital patternrads I aint that old either to have used them

Spend my life changing rad valves, it's an essential piece of kit for me. Cost about ÂŁ30 though I think, I didnt pay for mine, work did

BES do one, its a large allen key with the grooves cut in for the lugs, only a couple of quid.

BES do one, its a large allen key with the grooves cut in for the lugs, only a couple of quid.

They're no good, might get one or two jobs out of them. The "rachety thing" (yes thats what I call it too!) is the best.

Yep your right, just thought I would throw it in the pot just in case it was for a one off:smartass:

I'll definitely picking a rachety thing up then, are they all about ÂŁ30 then

My rad spanner has the two slots for them
I need to look at my rad spanner as I think one has them, only problem is that I don't think it was big enough for the 3/4 inch tails

Hmmm I have 3 tools on my list to buy:

1. rad key for large tails with lugs
2. Pair of footprints
3. 15mm olive cutters (the puller I have is a load of pooh)

Which do I get first... :/ I'm thinking the olive cutters

Just buy one tool a week or month depending on how often you get paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Name that tool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock