Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rufus386

Anyone know what this fitting is for? I have this old pipe in my living room floor to ceiling. I want to get rid of it as I believe it's abandoned. Have checked with flat upstairs and flat downstairs, they have no corresponding pipe...

It's steel, and the property is over 100 years old, was once a whole house.

Thanks? image.jpg

Coulda been anything even an old bit of conduit. Hard to tell looking at it.
Run that jamb nut right back then unscrew the union below it and it will seperate.

Well aware of the fitting.

If I was you, I would be tentative of undoing fittings on old services.

It could be a water pipe, or probably an old gas pipe.
Don't assume that it is not live.
If you can't trace it and find it obsolete - don't touch it

first know where your gas supply cut off is along with your water stopcock

It's not possible to say what the pipe carries/carried by the picture but that fitting is used to repair a damaged section of pipe when you can get no seperation on the pipe. I've seen them used where a small section of steel tube has failed and that fitting has been cut in to repair it.

It's not possible to say what the pipe carries/carried by the picture but that fitting is used to repair a damaged section of pipe when you can get no seperation on the pipe. I've seen them used where a small section of steel tube has failed and that fitting has been cut in to repair it.

Or in the place of a Barrel union - cheaper and smaller in size.

Thanks for all the informative replies! I think I'll have to pull up a few the floorboards to make sure it's obsolete. I know the water riser is on the other side of the building, as are the gas which is all fairly modern.

I've got to get rid of it because it runs up the inside of a built in cupboard in my living room. I want to get rid of the cupboard - but when I do, the pipe will be left behind and it will be about 10 inches into the room on the left of the chimney breast. Strange place for a pipe I think...

Thanks for all the informative replies! I think I'll have to pull up a few the floorboards to make sure it's obsolete. I know the water riser is on the other side of the building, as are the gas which is all fairly modern.

I've got to get rid of it because it runs up the inside of a built in cupboard in my living room. I want to get rid of the cupboard - but when I do, the pipe will be left behind and it will be about 10 inches into the room on the left of the chimney breast. Strange place for a pipe I think...

You can get a free live or dead check from the gas board to see if it's live...it just may rule something out for you.
If you're in a flat it may well be an old dual gas service!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mystery pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock