Search the forum,

Discuss mystery leak under shower tray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norfolk Tom

Hello, I had a new bathroom installed 18months ago, I have since discovered a leak under the shower tray. We are getting over half a pint of water from it per week.

Its very weird because it appears to all be sealed, and the drip is coming from a bit of filler between the tray and tiles.

I'm going to attempt to add photos to illustrate what I mean.

We have recently resealed the titles and its still leaking, so any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

IMG_4421.jpg
IMG_4423.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg
IMG_4429.jpg

(sorry for the repost, but just registered so now i can see replies)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a possible, don't use the shower for a few days to see whether it dry's up.

The plug the waste outlet, and fill the shower tray almost up to the door level and leave for a few hours. If there's no leak there, then you know its leaking through the tiles.

If it's leaking through the tiles, then it a matter of removing them, re-sealing / waterproofing and re-tiling.

How long was the warranty on the workmanship for.
May be claimable under insurance - yours or the installers.

I can't understand from your wording where the water appears from, but a few things to note, - shower doors are generally supposed to be not sealed on the inside along the tray. They are a basic frame and water will enter the frame to some extent and needs to get out again. If it all has been sealed up then the water can build up and get to the outside. The profile against the wall is always critical to be sealed on the tray to tiles horizontal part.
Usually doors MIs say seal on outside to tray and inside vertical profiles plus 150mm from tray vertical outside.
Also watch that the tray isn't moving down from the silicone seal when you stand in it to have a shower. The silicone can be stuck to tray but releases from tiles if tray not supported well.
I had one recently that was an Aqualisa shower valve leaking badly in wall when used

Last edited:
Id say if it's not the tray or trap leaking then there's a hairline crack in the grout somewhere or if the waters escaping out of the cubicle it's going down the flooring.

I'd check that the tray has been sealed behind the frame, I've had a few instances where people have sealed the tray and frame at the same time so you end up with an unsealed gap that you can't see behind the frame

poorly installed tray relying on one silicone bead is the normal issue, no upstand on tray is the commonest reason for leaks, I always use an aqua seal tape if there isnt a tiling upstand nowadays

Hi,
Pic 2 seems to show tray edge poorly supported by timber offcut. I would say possibly not installed iaw M.I's.
Also as mentioned if the tray is poorly seal & poorly supported then best to take out and do properly.
Have had quite a few jobs recently where shower tray was poorly installed/sealed so straight away not a good start.
Another one is where there is inadequate ventilation, eventually the grout/sealant fails leading to leaks esp if no extractor with timer installed & or people don't open window to let warm moist air out and to vent room,
Thanks,
Andy

Hi Tom,

I wonder if you have sorted out this problem. Would you please help share the solution here?

My shower has the exactly same problem & I have invited many plumbers for inspection. All sorts of methods have been tried but it still leaks quietly from the bottom edge of the shower tray.

Thank you,
Jenny

IME most leaks are through gaps in tiles. The gaps in question may only be 0.1mm wide but because there are invariably 3/4 linear meters of them they total up to a substantial hole.

Tap the tiles with your knuckles. A well stuck tile with simply 'thud' - the best place to get that sound it up the top normally. As you come down the wall, you will invariably find the sounds changes to a 'clack' instead. This is because there is a gap behind the tile where they have lost their adhesion to the substrate meaning they are held in only by their grout.

When you get a 'clack', the ONLY remedy is to remove the tiles up to the point where there is no more black mould, (normally about 1-1.2m), strengthen the wall so it flexes less (for example replace plasterboard with 12mm TBB), treat with some form of surface prep and re-tile or reboard.

There are NO short cuts if you want it NOT to leak again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to mystery leak under shower tray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock