Search the forum,

Discuss My Husband used to do all the plumbing? What is the worst DIY plmbing you have seen? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a customer the other day with a blocked sink.
she said it never used to get blocked before, her husband used to do all the DIY jobs. Look at this mess.

2018-02-13 14.53.54.jpg

I have had to immediately rise kitchen waste pipes where they join from the trap because original waste was slightly higher through a wall and customers preferred no extra holes in their wall.
It wouldn’t do any harm if an elbow and then an obtuse m&f bend were coming from trap, as it is just a short risen part of trap really.
But that one in the photo is overdoing it, both in length of risen part (below discharge level) and total rise height! :)

The previous plumber just plunged it and left. There is no way water runs uphill and even less with tea bags and coffee grains. :):p

The previous plumber just plunged it and left. There is no way water runs uphill and even less with tea bags and coffee grains. :):p

I know it goes against the grain of thinking, but slight rise, just immediately at trap for short distance, is really only an extension of trap outlet height and won’t do any harm if water level is still well below top of waste.
Water finds its own height, as we know.
The sort of job I do this on is where the hole in wall is just a tad higher than trap, - like 40mm perhaps.
On your photo there is far too much pipe length and height before run off, so it will just be one large trap and block up

I drilled new hole, fitted new trap, waste and connected outside, everything goes away now. I forgot to mention at some point the sink has had a waste disposal unit underneath. but the husband modified. So you could have put your hand into the trap opening. Neat hole with core. Repaired the previous hole all perfect now :):p

I had noticed the waste disposal connection still there. How weird for the husband to leave it, but I guess he hadn’t a clue. I just replace them with a new strainer waste.
Some houses I go to have perfect walls, brick or plaster finishes and I don’t like to drill a new hole and the customers also wouldn’t want it.
Really makes sense, if waste through walls the modern method, to keep the waste hole near floor level, for to suit all future changes

Good work. I always do them that way as I think the bigger the depth of trap seal, the better. Nice to see my method is catching on :)

I had noticed the waste disposal connection still there. How weird for the husband to leave it, but I guess he hadn’t a clue. I just replace them with a new strainer waste.
Some houses I go to have perfect walls, brick or plaster finishes and I don’t like to drill a new hole and the customers also wouldn’t want it.
Really makes sense, if waste through walls the modern method, to keep the waste hole near floor level, for to suit all future changes

I wouldn't even ask any kind of permission just go for it cos the plumber that follows you in after would be justified in ripping the proverbial

one trick when you get a pipe thats too high is use a macalpine tubular trap and put a trap extender between the u part and the outlet elbow just forms a deeper trap

one trick when you get a pipe thats too high is use a macalpine tubular trap and put a trap extender between the u part and the outlet elbow just forms a deeper trap
The picture does it no justice. It is in fact about 3 and half inches too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My Husband used to do all the plumbing? What is the worst DIY plmbing you have seen? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock