Search the forum,

Discuss my first stanley 100k today, why oh why in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

got a call to service one of these, seems the last guy doing it had gone away... What a heap of cack, who could have designed the bleeding things, vertical burner tucked behind another one. So arrived, turned it on to see it worked, cooker didnt, so mentioned the fact. got the burners out, cleared out the crud and soot!!! changed nozzzles etc went for an fga, couldnt get either sample point screw out for an hour.... tried cooker with new photocell, other one was dead on its legs, burn improved a bit, lasted 30 seconds not 5, so went for oil pump or solenoid. owner then mentioned water in tank a while back... so stripped pump for a peak, knackered, and checked drive coupling, knackered as well. So after 4 hours of fighting the pig I retired hurt as I didnt have the coupling in the van.... Back on friday with a pump for the boiler side as well, then prehaps I can get a CO2 reading over 6 on that one, without it wumping away to its self, but that could be down to a blocked chimney, which I gather is being self swept in the mean time. Oh and it was last serviced 18 months ago... really I think not. I will probably block his number in the future like his last techie :)

Until recently I only had one on the books. Stopped answering the phone to them. Not worth the hassle.

I've got one I service and as soon as i can get rid of it the better. Along with the one Rayburn OF22 I do!

I thought the new rayburns were bad this cast iron heap is just unbelievable, cant see why the paddies like them. The owner let me know he would be recommending me to his neighbour, as they have one as well...................... I would rather work on an oil nouvelle and thats bad enough

Work with several stanleys, rayburns and even a couple of heritages. Not found them a problem, the main problem is people trying to fix it, and not setting them up correctly if at all.
Like any mechanical thing, proper maintenance is the key.

I have a couple of Stanleys, Rayburn 480k MKIIs & a twin burner Esse on my books - really don't look forward to their annual service - absolute nightmare to work on, it can take an hour just to get the burners out! Whoever designs these things didn't think about maintenance at all

I work on rayburns and other types, never had to battle with a stanley before, awful design, ecoflams are just boched in to fit, and the vertical cooker burner beggars belief. Like the burners to work with normally, but not on this bit of kit

back today, fitted more new bits, oil pumps, drive shafts etc, cooker set up perfectly, bleedin boiler side took ages to settle to 13% co2, eventually reduced oil pressure to setle it to 12%

seems a bit ott almost 30kw boiler for an average house, so next service it will get a smaller nozzle and hopefully be easier to servicenow I know how to get into it. Also told the owner to sweep his chimney which may well improve things. Blighter insisted I return in 12 months despite my bill of ÂŁ743.... which he thought was good value, considering all the hassle getting it running again, just knew i was too cheap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to my first stanley 100k today, why oh why in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort. I had a cistern lever that didn't flush properly, and had become corroded and unsightly. I figured I'd get a plumber in to do it (after a couple of years apologising to guests for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
My water stinks. Smells musty. I installed a Whirlpool water softener mid February of this year ('23) and it's smelled ever since. So here's the story: we live on a farm in southeast PA. Our well is 60' deep with the water table around 10'. Two houses supplied from the same well. One day I...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I've just joined, was going to post in the new members forum, but the first site generated email sent me here... I am here, as have a challenging and interesting problem, which I'll try as best to describe below keeping to the point and as short as possible, to avoid boring any of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock