Search the forum,

Discuss my 6 month old makita cordless started smoking :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
i couldnt believe it, only had the damn thing 6 months and while i was drilling through the timbers in a stud wall it just started piling smoke out the vents with a very plasticy burning smell :S. took it home charged it up and it seems fine now,

Should i carry on using it?

Well nick, it has done a fair few holes in studwork and joists and never even struggled, even managed to drill into a lintle once (made from extremely hard concrete lol). took me a while but it did it.

what voltage rateing is it?
also using a lot of pressure on the rear of the drill to get it through is unadvisable to much pressure will heat up the inside

Joking aside mate, you should take it back and try for a replacement. 6 months isn't good enough for a Makita. These are designed for pros so they should take hard use.

I agree - it will still be under warranty, try to get a replacement.

Mark

lol i wouldnt know how to take it back i think i got it from screwfix but like a fool i seem to have lost the receipt (which should be in the books under tooling but its not). is there any way i can contact makita direct with a serial number or something?

i use it almost on a daily basis when im on the bigger jobs with the builders which at the moment is a fair bit.

lol i wouldnt know how to take it back i think i got it from screwfix but like a fool i seem to have lost the receipt (which should be in the books under tooling but its not). is there any way i can contact makita direct with a serial number or something?

i use it almost on a daily basis when im on the bigger jobs with the builders which at the moment is a fair bit.

If you are a regular Screwfix customer they keep all of your purchase details. If you log onto their website and go to "My Account" you can see everything you've bought.

Alternatively, contact Makita direct. Details [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.makitauk.com%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D87"]here[/DLMURL]

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
We use 14v Dewalts and they dont have a great shelf life

http://www.*********.com/bigholes/smaller/Dsc08127.jpg

Use two at a time and never get more than a year out of them.

Replace them at £99 a time. Biggest problem is the chuck locks up so that we cant release the bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to my 6 month old makita cordless started smoking :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock