Search the forum,

Discuss multifuel boiler and electrical issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevejd58

I have a Charnwood LA50 inset multifuel burner that has been installed for a year or two now.

The problem we have is concerning the pump and a pipe thermostat which i believe is to ensure the water doesn't over heat and to force the pump to run to dissipate excess heat via the radiators.
IMG_20161013_160836929.jpg
this is the set up that was installed.
it has a wireless room thermostat (Honeywell HCW80) in the hall
a honeywell ST9400 control unit
a Grunndfos Alpha 2 pump
a pipe thermostat of unknown brand (x2?)

we tend to run the pump continuously when the boiler is lit as I can't see the point of timing the pump on this type of set up, whatever the setting the fire will still be burning

what we have noticed is, more so when running on wood, is that when the water gets hot, he circulation pump cuts out (pipe thermostat?) and will only run again if some one runs a significant amount of hot water off.

I'm guessing during the installation the pipe thermostat was mis wired.
If you look at the pic, there are two wires that go behind the boiler unit, would there be a thermostat on both of the ascending pipes?
if so would swapping the thermostats over solve my problem or am I looking at a heating electrician

Sounds like stat is wired wrong, has it always been like this from installed? Stats can be wired NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open) yours sounds like it's NC, so it's sends power when cold and isolated when hot. It should be the opposite.

My opinion is I wouldn't want any water been pumped round my stove till it's up to temperature. Cold flue gases are very bad for flues. Dens and full of moisture, get the stove hot as fast as possible (about 250c) them get the pump going. Or the stat should do this for you that's what it's there for after all. Getting a stove up to temp fast with 100 litre of cold water been pumped round it may be very hard.

This is just my opinion tho, not a professional in this sector. Get someone that knows what there doing ! ����

The fire is lit. The heat rises under gravity to the cylinder. Cylinder heats until stat satisfied. Normally closed valve is unpowered to close and protect cylinder whilst leaving gravity circulation to heat leak. Pump operates to run heating.

Could end up with cold water corrision in fire.

yes it has, I thought this was the problem.
Without removing access covers I think I have x2 pipe stats by the look of the cables going behind the stove,

The fire is lit. The heat rises under gravity to the cylinder. Cylinder heats until stat satisfied. Normally closed valve is unpowered to close and protect cylinder whilst leaving gravity circulation to heat leak. Pump operates to run heating.

Could end up with cold water corrision in fire.

I'm guessing this happens but the pump shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to multifuel boiler and electrical issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
I have a ideal logic 30 boiler ,the thermostat receiver looks to have died ( no lights on wired receiver ) I believe this need# replacing but in the mean time does anyone know if I can override the thermostat if heating is required please? the handheld thermostat is working it’s the boiler...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate tank. There is a thermostat on this second tank that pushes hot water over to the store tank when it's hot. It's a closed loop and goes through a heat...
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was working fine for a coupe of months however now the valve has started misbehaving which is resulting in having to turn the temperature valve round further...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock