Search the forum,

Discuss Moving single skinned oil tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Was speaking to a customer today and he said his oil tank at his house was going to be moved by a builder.
I did the plumbing & heating in the large new build about 9 years ago.
Tank is a single skinned (customer did a lot on the cheap).
Customer was aware that there are regs about distances to septic tank and I made him also aware that 1.8m from roof eves etc.
But I said that moving a single skinned oil tank would mean a new install and therefore a bunded tank needed.
Am I correct? Customer said he would ask building inspectors, but I think that's when he will get a shock

got to risk assess it and install iaw with answer you get from assessment

I 'thought' that if modding or moving a tank now it had to be replaced with a bunded.. although that might only be in Wales right now..

got to risk assess it and install iaw with answer you get from assessment

Think he will have to dig deep into his wallet then. Septic tank is not far away for starters.
Serve him right tbh. He has always tried to save on most things. It will be funny if he does contact building control. Builder I know for a fact will do anything without any care

I 'thought' that if modding or moving a tank now it had to be replaced with a bunded.. although that might only be in Wales right now..

Think rules same here. New location for oil tank, new job, new regs.
Makes sense anyhow to me

Should be treated as a new install and if over 2500 litres should be bunded.

However as i'm forever the optimist, unless there is any construction work going on where building control will visit, i think there is more chance of pigs flying than them asking or caring.

No problem with installing a single skin tank as long as the install meets the regs. Shocked me that one, but straight from the horses mouth at the last inspection.

So, maybe if the builder and customer decide to move the tank, but keep it to all permitted regulation distances, but ignore the bunded tank rule, then if no building inspection they will get away with it. That's basically what they intended to do I bet anyway

Last edited:
I won't ever be fitting a single skin tank, or letting on to custs that they can.

But then I'm not approved for tanks anymore. I just give A1 tanks a call :)

I won't ever be fitting a single skin tank, or letting on to custs that they can.

But then I'm not approved for tanks anymore. I just give A1 tanks a call :)

in Wales, you are only allowed to fit bunded now regardless of size.
I heard that it will soon be the same for England

off the top of my head I thought this came in in April? single skin no longer permitted? having said that I have seen building inspector only the other week completely ignoring an old single skin tank with obvious signs of stress and bleaching all over, directly on the mud in a garden next to and impeding the gate and abutting the wooden fence, he was only there to sign off the footings for an extension

What I'll do is rescind your membership of this forum. Rules are there for a reason and are put in place by cleverer people than you or I.

So you want to rethink that post?

I took it as a joke. I had put a 'Like' to his first post. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving single skinned oil tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m replacing my single skin plastic oil tank with a new bunded oil tank. I’m going to replace the single 10mm pvc covered oil pipe too, so to keep the number of compression joints to a minimum, I’d like to fit an external tigerloop combi 3 de-aerator (the one that incorporates an isolation...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock