Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Moving Boiler + Cylinder - Pipework run advice in the Plumbing Forum area at

  1. renovo

    renovo New Member

    So, I'm looking to move from a gravity fed system to a sealed, and move the cylinder and boiler to the opposite side of the property!

    I'm wondering if you guys can help advise on pipe runs, so I can do this part myself. I know its tricky do such a think without looking in person but i've attempted to do some drawings and taken some pictures and can do more if needed!

    What I'm trying to find out is if i run 3 new 22mm pipes from the old cylinder location to the new, then extend the current C/H pipework to the new location, should that be enough to reconnect everything?

    The other question is the cold mains is a reasonably long run, it will have to go from the airing cupboard, back to the boiler area (for balancing i believe), and then back to supply the cold feeds. Is this ok in 22mm (as what is existing), or should i go down the route of having to move the mains to the new location and run it in 28mm to the airing cupboard?

    I've attached some pictures of the landing area, existing boiler and existing pipework in airing cupboard. I can't see where the 28mm flow/return go yet as they aren't in the landing joist bays, so will need to take the floor up in the airing cupboard (next job). I'm a little confused as to how the return to boiler is 28mm when the c/h pipework goes from 28 > 22 > 15 > 8. I've not yet found where it goes back to 28mm

    thanks in advance!

    My plan!

    Airing cupboard pipework

    Existing boiler supply

    22mm C/H pipework in landing

    C/H now 15mm with 8mm tees
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    You going for a new boiler and cylinder as well ?
  3. jtsplumbing

    jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

    A quick look at what you have put , seems that boiler has been replaced at some time only 2 pipes from boiler so no longer a gravity system look as though BG has converted system to fully pumped, are you renewing the hot water cylinder ?? Who is fitting the boiler ? and it is important where the cylinder pipework connects or you will have problems with some radiators getting hot when only running for hot water, Are you thinking of fitting a unvented cylinder ? when you say going to a pressurised system ??
  4. SimonG

    SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

    Ask your gas safe engineer for advice. After all he will be the one moving the boiler
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. renovo

    renovo New Member


    So yes BG replaced it in 2011 (before i bought the house), its vented which is what i meant by gravity fed, all hot water/cold water feeds are gravity feed also.

    Everything is new, so i can pick what i want, i have no idea who will be doing the end connections i just want to run the correct pipes so i can get the hallway done and out of the way! Yes i want it to be pressurised/unvented.

    What do you mean about cylinder pipes being in the right place and cold rads?

    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. SimonG

    SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

    That's so funny. Sounds like potential for diy gas. Naughty naughty.

    As said get a gas safe man on board now, be helpful in the long run.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. renovo

    renovo New Member

    What are you on about where did I say anything about doing the boiler myself..

    What is the point of a DIY forum if I can't run in plastic pushfits myself, why are you replying telling me to get a gas Safe engineer when you are just assuming I'm not, based on what exactly?

    I've already had the gas main moved with a tee left for boiler connection, do you get off on fantasy?

    Can someone not post a thread here without this BS? I've created a decent post with drawings and pictures and I'm looking for advice not a row
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Right so your doing it in plastic/ pushfit ?
  9. scott_d

    scott_d Plumber GSR

    Have you got the pressure and flow for an unvented cylinder?
  10. Chriswareham

    Chriswareham GSR

    the flow and returns from the boiler need to be reconnect to the centrol heating loop in the old airing cupboard not the old pipework !
    run from the old airing cupboard to the new pressureizd cylinder a hot supply a ballance cold supply you will need to run a main cold water supply to the pressured cylinder .
    you should have 1.5 bar of pressure for this to work.
    if you dont you can fitt a booster pump or an accumulator this will increace the pressure.
    all so you will have to run gas to the new boiler this has to be done by a gsr engineer as the current pipework may not be the right size hope this is of help to you
  11. jtsplumbing

    jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

    Think what Simon is trying to point out, is get advise from your Gas guy about pipe runs, Do you intend moving all the controls to the new cylinder position ? Its important that the return from cylinder is connected in the right place, again your boiler guy can put you right on this, As to your comment about being gas safe, I think that its quite clear that you are not ! or you would know about the pipe runs, Gas Safe guys don't only work on gas ! Most are involved on a daily basis designing and installing complex systems, and have qualified to install pressurised systems, again something you seem to know very little about, get it wrong and you could cause a lot of damage, You do know that the new cylinder will have to be recorded with local building control ? Please take advise and get your new hot water cylinder installed by a G3 registered installer, Yes a lot of what you are doing you can do your self to keep the costs down , but in a lot of cases you don't save all that much, Rules of this forum don't allow us to give advise on gas or G3 related subjects for your own safety, So all we are saying is get a Gas & G3 guy on board who can be on site and point you in the right direction, if you don't get it right first time it can cost a lot more to put things right.
    • Like Like x 1
Similar Threads - Moving Boiler Cylinder Forum Date
Toilet seat moving slightly Plumbing Forum Mar 16, 2018
Problems removing Mira Event XS shower inlet pipes Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms Mar 12, 2018