Search the forum,

Discuss monobloc tap and basin hole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasser

Gas Engineer
I've got a monoblock tap fitted to a washbasin but it seems the basin hole is a mm or so too big as there is a small gap between the edge of the tap and the edge of the basin hole, meaning water can easily go through.

Do monobloc taps and basin holes come in standard size or do you need to choose taps of the right size to overlap fully the hole?

cheaper taps are often on the slim side.
surely the gap is not consistent around the tap or it would fall through??
does the tap need centralising?
some clear silicone would cure the water leaking past.

As Simon said it can't have a gap all the way round. What I have had in the past is this. The horse shoe bracket underneath the basin fixing the tap in is too wide and pushes the tap over to one side. If this is the case you can cut the back off the clip a few millimeters to suit.

Good point, the gap is not all around!

When I tighten the tap, it moves to one side, I don't know if it's because of the horse shoe or not. Are you saying the horse shoe is too big for the space available?

The tap does need centralising but even after, I suspect the tap barely overlaps the hole and there's probably not enough rubber there to make it watertight.

Silicone is just a quick fix. I just wanted to know if the sizes of tap bases and basin holes are all standard or if one should make sure to match one with the other. I didn't buy the tap in this case, so I don't know if it is cheap or not, though it doesn't look like it.

Hi Kasser, by the sounds of of it it could the the horse shoe thing needs trimming down because the space allowed for it is too small. I find taps these days barely cover the hole but I put it down to the hole they cut in the basin being too big not the tap is too small.

Hi Kasser, by the sounds of of it it could the the horse shoe thing needs trimming down because the space allowed for it is too small. I find taps these days barely cover the hole but I put it down to the hole they cut in the basin being too big not the tap is too small.

Is that what you do then every time - trim the horse shoe? That's made of metal as far as I know? How do you trim it? With a file?

No most times they fit. It's just the odd basin. Use a vice and a hacksaw if you got one. A little at a time. You can always take more off you can't put it back on ;)

Some monobloc taps come with a base plate that the tap body sits on, did yours come with one?

I didn't buy or install the tap, so I wouldn't know if it came with one. There isn't one installed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to monobloc tap and basin hole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock