Search the forum,

Discuss Moan, moan and The reason I am suspicious of people is.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrs Tara Plumbi

Take todays example.
9am lady on phone says we fitted her boiler about 2 years ago.
Her CO alarm went off last night - whoever she called said her gas fire was OK but turned off her boiler thinks that is the cause.
I know Mr TP can't get there for ages so I told her to call someone else AND I recommended another local gas engineer for her to call.
But I did take all her details down first and checked them after the call.
We have never worked in the property and never even given a quote.
So why not just tell me about her problem instead of telling me we fitted it?
I called G.S. - sure enough the boiler is not even registered so who knows who fitted it? Perhaps it was DIY?

Anyway I did call the lady back.
Told her we've never been there, it should have been registered by law and could be a dangerous or illegal installation - you know me - straight to the point.
Lady doesn't seem bothered, of course, she's got some other plumber there now checking it out.

And you know what.
If it was a faulty installation would she have been telling everyone that we did it?

I got a call back this morning to a job in peacehaven that's a 4-6 hour round trip depending on traffic. The message was there's water everywhere I'm being flooded out I need you here NOW!

anyway there's a few tilers and carpenters there today looks like it's just condensation on the pipe. Imagine how pleased I would have been to carry out that round journey

Haha I've been to 100's of call outs over the years for social housing tenants (because they aren't paying) that were "floods" that a sponge would have soaked up if left for a fortnight, the tenant then saying, "yes but I'm out during the day at work so it doesn't suit" trying to tell them it's a call out for emergencies and not for their convenience falls on deaf ears, when we started to do call outs for private customers who had to pay ÂŁ80 call out fee, you knew it was a real emergency and it always was

Take todays example.
9am lady on phone says we fitted her boiler about 2 years ago.
Her CO alarm went off last night - whoever she called said her gas fire was OK but turned off her boiler thinks that is the cause.
I know Mr TP can't get there for ages so I told her to call someone else AND I recommended another local gas engineer for her to call.
But I did take all her details down first and checked them after the call.
We have never worked in the property and never even given a quote.
So why not just tell me about her problem instead of telling me we fitted it?
I called G.S. - sure enough the boiler is not even registered so who knows who fitted it? Perhaps it was DIY?

Anyway I did call the lady back.
Told her we've never been there, it should have been registered by law and could be a dangerous or illegal installation - you know me - straight to the point.
Lady doesn't seem bothered, of course, she's got some other plumber there now checking it out.

And you know what.
If it was a faulty installation would she have been telling everyone that we did it?

maybe it was mr TP after some beer money :)

i am with you on the social housing we get loads of stupid calls about showers not being as hot now new boiler fitted...

you just turn the lever too the hot side a bit more....

well i never used to have to do that before! the lever always used to be in the middle

ffs ...

Can u come urgently me heating is off, you fitted it 5 years ago.... Ah I see you haven't had a service...... My friend does it but he's at work. Ok it's a ÂŁ120 plus vat call out. Ok when will you be here? I just need your card details then a engineer will be dispatched post haste. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr phones gone dead!

Fitted a shower/steam room today. 1500 for the unit they paid and its cack. I was fitting only. Came with flexi waste that as soon as it got hot it went all floppy. Tested and double checked everything. Just phoned to say the pressure dropped on the shower and then water came through the dining room ceiling.

Pound to a penny one of the crappy plastic hoses has blown off.

Said ill be there in the morning to see whats what.

Fitted a washing machine trap and waste for a ''customer'' in Sutton. Three months later, he rings to tell me that 'That washing machine trap I fitted is leaking badly. Can I come round and sort it pronto?'

I went there the next day and when I took the trap apart, I found that they had messed about with it and damaged the O ring at bend that was meant to create a seal. Why I hear you ask? For some unknown reason, they had pushed the drain hose all the way down to the bottom of the trap. So the water kept backing up during the drain cycle. They then must have taken the trap apart looking for an imaginary blockage? In doing so, they created a problem which then was blamed on me??? Some customers are pretty smart.

Haha I've been to 100's of call outs over the years for social housing tenants (because they aren't paying) that were "floods" that a sponge would have soaked up if left for a fortnight, the tenant then saying, "yes but I'm out during the day at work so it doesn't suit" trying to tell them it's a call out for emergencies and not for their convenience falls on deaf ears, when we started to do call outs for private customers who had to pay ÂŁ80 call out fee, you knew it was a real emergency and it always was

I don't envy anyone doing HA work, not one bit.

Once i I had call out on Xmas eve and I was torn apart, we covered a wide area and non of the calls where vetted.

I had a few call outs in the day that where semi genuine and I was happy enough to do them, finally I got home and the phone never stopped.

I had one "uncontrollable water leak" when I got there, there was a Chinese takeaway carton under a rad with a drip going every minute or so, she then admitted that it had been leaking for two weeks. I nearly punched her in the face, why she decided to call it in on Xmas eve I don't know.

Then I had another one and when I got there, there was an ID label on the boiler, she'd been rushed through ASAP for a boiler swap that day and didn't answer the door because she was asleep and thought I could do it at 10 at night. Bellend.

Then my last one, which was miles away in Wolverhampton, was an all off. When I got there, she explained that one of the lads had been out in the day and told her the board had gone, she was booked in for a parts job on Boxing Day. She told me that she thought I may have had one on the van. I nearly cried :-(

that night in call made me realise that this is the worst job in the world when you work for HA's and councils.

Im not saying that its right, but I can sort of understand why some people don't do a proper job when working for these people.

From that day forward, I decided I wanted to work in private houses which I do now, and to be fair these customers can be just as annoying, but only a few, where as most of the council tenants are pricks.

Fitted a shower/steam room today. 1500 for the unit they paid and its cack. I was fitting only. Came with flexi waste that as soon as it got hot it went all floppy. Tested and double checked everything. Just phoned to say the pressure dropped on the shower and then water came through the dining room ceiling.

Tecaz me thinks?

I don't envy anyone doing HA work, not one bit.

Once i I had call out on Xmas eve and I was torn apart, we covered a wide area and non of the calls where vetted.

I had a few call outs in the day that where semi genuine and I was happy enough to do them, finally I got home and the phone never stopped.

I had one "uncontrollable water leak" when I got there, there was a Chinese takeaway carton under a rad with a drip going every minute or so, she then admitted that it had been leaking for two weeks. I nearly punched her in the face, why she decided to call it in on Xmas eve I don't know.

Then I had another one and when I got there, there was an ID label on the boiler, she'd been rushed through ASAP for a boiler swap that day and didn't answer the door because she was asleep and thought I could do it at 10 at night. Bellend.

Then my last one, which was miles away in Wolverhampton, was an all off. When I got there, she explained that one of the lads had been out in the day and told her the board had gone, she was booked in for a parts job on Boxing Day. She told me that she thought I may have had one on the van. I nearly cried :-(

that night in call made me realise that this is the worst job in the world when you work for HA's and councils.

Im not saying that its right, but I can sort of understand why some people don't do a proper job when working for these people.

From that day forward, I decided I wanted to work in private houses which I do now, and to be fair these customers can be just as annoying, but only a few, where as most of the council tenants are pricks.

Been there done that and I played them at there own game. 1 night I had a call water leak got there and the radiator was hanging off the wall after partner came back drunk. Out came hose pipe drained system and turned water off (Even though it was a combi) said somebody will come back and sort it during the day.

Christmas eve was horrible but I used to quiz them on the phone and they would soon slip up and say it is working but it made a funny noise and I dont want it breaking down tomorrow. the only call I went out to was somebody tried to bleed the rad and they lost the pin. I didnt have the heart that time to drain the whole system.

Now if I walk into a warm house on call I turn straight around and walk out as they just use you so they dont have to take time off work.

I know exactly what the problem is....
I know precisely where you went wrong...
Using my masterly skills of deduction and my cunning wits I narrowed it down to your first sentence.
If I never see one of those contraptions again it will be too soon, they're the :devil: 's work.

Fitted a washing machine trap and waste for a ''customer'' in Sutton. Three months later, he rings to tell me that 'That washing machine trap I fitted is leaking badly. Can I come round and sort it pronto?'

I went there the next day and when I took the trap apart, I found that they had messed about with it and damaged the O ring at bend that was meant to create a seal. Why I hear you ask? For some unknown reason, they had pushed the drain hose all the way down to the bottom of the trap. So the water kept backing up during the drain cycle. They then must have taken the trap apart looking for an imaginary blockage? In doing so, they created a problem which then was blamed on me??? Some customers are pretty smart.

Sutton is that the one in hull ?

I know exactly what the problem is....
I know precisely where you went wrong...
Using my masterly skills of deduction and my cunning wits I narrowed it down to your first sentence.
If I never see one of those contraptions again it will be too soon, they're the :devil: 's work.

One of the manufacturers hoses blew off. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moan, moan and The reason I am suspicious of people is.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock