Search the forum,

Discuss Microbore, extending the pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connor Williams

Hello guys I will be changing a radiator to a wider one in width (going from 800mm wide double panel rad to 1400 mm wide single panel with fins).

The pipework for the current rad comes out of the wall at either side and is microbore and I think it's 10mm.

When the current rad is removed and the new one installed, I want to cut one of the pipes, fit an elbow and then run the pipe along the wall, under the rad and up into the rad valve.

If it was 15mm pipe I wouldn't be asking this question but I've never worked with microbore before and wondered if extending the pipe approx 3ft across the wall would reduce the water circulation in any way as we are fitting a larger rad to provide better heat than the current one.

Are there any pitfalls to avoid when using microbore? Any advice would be much appreciated thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
try not to use any 90 degree bends but in a domestic environment i,e, 3-4 bed it wont make a noticeable difference

Just as a note. I don't know the height of your rad but a 21 rad (2 panels + 1 Fin) at 800x600hi is about 4000btu. A 1400x600hi 11 (1 panel + 1 fin) is about 5000btu.
But a 800x600 22 (2panel + 2Fin) is about 5300btu!!!
So in theory a type 22 rad the same size could supply more heat than the longer one you are thinking of. It might be thicker so adjustment of pipes may still be required.

PS I am not a plumber but I can read screwfix data :) There might be technical plumbing reasons why your solution is better, Hopefully a knowledgeable plumber will be along soon :)

Is there anything else off that 10mm pipe ( i.e. more than one rad )?

What type of system is it ?
Sealed or open vented

How high is the rad you're going to install ?

I presume this is to give more heat ?
Have you calculated the heat requirements for the room ?

does the current radiator get as hot as the rest of the system?
the problem could possibly be the microbore pipe
or a balancing issue.
cover the basics first

does the current radiator get as hot as the rest of the system?
the problem could possibly be the microbore pipe
or a balancing issue.
cover the basics first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Microbore, extending the pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock