Search the forum,

Discuss Meter/Pressure Drop Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I went to look at a job today that has 3 x 28KW boilers plus a DFE fire running on U6 meter. As I understand it, if all appliances are running the meter won't be able to supply gas fast enough right?

One of the three boilers is supplied through a secondary meter next to the primary one.

On checking burner pressure when servicing the gas fire it was 13.2 ish mbars. The manual states it must be no less than 20 when running. Would this be a situation you would cap off the fire?

I'm also concerned that the install is unsafe as the meter is overloaded. Would appreciate opinions from those with more gas experience than I please!

yes overloaded and cap lot esp if fire mis state no less than 20mabr

rough guess boilers alone want 8m3/h

and about 0.6-1.0 for a fire

Last edited:
Would this be an ID and call Transco situation then??

I am going to arrange to pop back tomorrow and chat with them I think. Would appreciate as many opinions as poss before I do as it would be the first time I cap off a gas supply and want to make sure I am 100% right.

I would yes also converted into 3 flats ?

2 boilers run heating and hot water for one very large bungalow, the other runs heating/hot water for the separate rented annex.

2 boilers run heating and hot water for one very large bungalow, the other runs heating/hot water for the separate rented annex.

Just for curiosity how many rads approx as sounds oversized

Gas rate the appliances but check pressure first I would do

Approx 30 rads. The bungalow is huge tbh. I'd say about 500m2.

Both combis but only one supplies hot water across the house. The whole setup is a right bodge tbh. Linked to my post on legionella I found earlier.

one 22mm gas pipe supplying all 3 boilers too.

If I apply diversity to the installation then the appliances will be undergassed when all running. The fire is well undergassed when just running on it's own!

Last edited:
Sounds like it rip out and start again sounds like don't forget your low loss header

Well Gas Safe technical support said to AR the whole installation. Am left confused, that means I'm supposed to shut off the gas supply as the homeowner isn't happy about having one of the boilers disconnected and capped off. What to do?

Well Gas Safe technical support said to AR the whole installation. Am left confused, that means I'm supposed to shut off the gas supply as the homeowner isn't happy about having one of the boilers disconnected and capped off. What to do?

i know its not the best but could you get good pressure and a good gas rate on one and cap the other two as it will really only be hot water for now

Agreed. He doesn't want to cap any of the existing boilers off though. Have just written to him in an email to cover my arse, if he doesn't want to listen it's up to him then!

If he wont let you turn them off just write up your paperwork and get him to sign it. If he refuses to sign it write on it customer refused signature and leave it with him.
That's all you need to do. You have informed him of the potential risk and it is up to him if he wants to jog down the middle of the road.

as above and you could call transco up and tell them the situation if he as displeased you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Meter/Pressure Drop Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock