Search the forum,

Discuss MDPE to copper shank adaptor problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kay

I'm a diy'er but dome some plumbing before and I'm trying to fit a 20mm x 15mm adaptor. The problem is I can't get the olive to slide over the pipe and neither will the pipe slide inside the body of the adaptor. I thought I had been given the wrong size adaptor but the pipe stiffener which came with it fits perfectly. Can some one advise please? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried fitting it to another piece already with the same problem... I have also used a file to remove any burrs and cos it was hot I applied an ice pack to the pipe incase it had expanded. Still no joy.

I'm a DIY man as well. Is the pipe deformed at all. What did you cut the pipe with, are there any burrs ?? Is ir a copper pipe ??

You may have the mdpe for contaminated ground which has an outer skin of metal between the inner and outer pipe. Some of this will need to be removed to get the olive on. You can get a small flat blade between pipe and metal to check if this is what you have.

i think this pipe with the metal is blue with black stripes. Am i right in thinking its the mdpe that the olive wont slide onto?

Pipe was cut carefully with a hack saw, has had all burrs filed off doesn't appear to be deformed and is standard 20mm mdpe pipe blue pipe (no metal) . In addition I have sanded the blasted thing too and used vaseline to try to assist things.:(

Sparky... yes it is the mdpe that I can't slide the olive onto and was concerned not to take too much off the wall when filing for faer of reducing the strength.

Can I take more off the outer edge of the wall without doing harm?

if its the type im thinking of its an actual layer of plastic covered thin metal that can can and will need to be removed to fit anything onto it. poking a flat blade between the metal and the pipe and twisting should tell you if its this kind of pipe you have. If you have only standard mdpe then you shouldnt need to touch this,fittings should slide on ok. Maybe use some silicon grease to help as these fittings can often be very tight. I wouldnt recommend shaving anything off standard pipe.

Also have you tried putting the insert in AFTER the fittings have been put on? The insert could be stopping anything from going over them.

Hi Sparky
Defo no metal in and have tried taking the insert out too. Olive is a bit worse for wear now too so will have to wait until tomorrow once got some new olives. Ta

Id say leave stiffener out, apply silicon grease, carefully ease fitting and olive over pipe applying pressure and twisting until hopefully the fitting goes on as far as it should. Careful not to slide olive on too deep because you'll have to get it back op again! Replace stiffener.

dont forget to slide nut on before olive!

check the fitting perhaps they have given you a 22mmx15mm by mistake also if you can take a piece of the pipe with you to your supplier perhaps you have 25mm poly:) good luck regards turnpin

Hi Cut off a couple of inches of pipe and take it to the merchants. Get them to solve it for you. Good Luck

Is you MDPE pipe black? Probably been sold the wrong adaptor - they are in different colours - blue, green and red depending on pipe wall thickness. Each maker had different size specs for the pipe and the sizes are imperial not 20mm metric.

If you don't have any success get one of the Philmac universal adaptors one size fits all and saves a lot of messing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MDPE to copper shank adaptor problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock