Search the forum,

Discuss Mcs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

unguided1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Finally I have my first and hopefully only MCS accreditation inspection for Heatpumps today.
This inspection is through NICEIC, so should prove to be an interesting day.

It appears the main worry is all the paperwork involved as they want a huge paper trail generated for each job, not so eco after all, and if it all goes pear shaped I wont have to buy any bog roll for a while!!!

Cheers for the support Turnpin and Puddle, didnt get it this time so I now have loads of bog roll and a body to get rid of any ideas???

What was your non compliance to not gain accrediation ? if ya don`t mind me askin

Cheers for the support Turnpin and Puddle, didnt get it this time so I now have loads of bog roll and a body to get rid of any ideas???

:D:D

Sorry to hear that unguided,few days of kicking stuff as you walk by and then get back on the trail again,second time lucky,not that you will require any luck next time ,am sure,that accrediation is just around the corner !!!!
:)

Hi Quality

even though I do installations for one manufacturer only and have been on the manufactures course, I now have to do a recognised heatpump course, But when I spoke to MCS they said that they do not recognise the BPEC or Logic course, but it was suggested to me which course I ought to go on, which of course is a course backed by NICEIC.

I also have to go on a coshh course and when I spoke to MCS that was not mentioned either. In the past I have spoken to BRE, BBA, Corgi, Napit and NICEIC and the conflicting things you hear from them is unbelevable and they seem to move the goal posts all the time.

In my opinion it is easier to get onto the gas safe registered as a sole trader than going through this farce. Spent the whole day looking at procedures and paperwork, 2 minutes actually inspecting the heatpump and never even checked what the heatpump was connected to I could ave bin some monkey who had installed the unit on a single pipe microbore system and it would ave bin OK, sorry rant over

regards
Mike

half the problem with any exam /inspection is the uncertainty of what the examiners are looking for, at least now you know and can swot up accordingly better luck next time:) regards turnpin

Situation seems stupid to me,I would send a few strong letters or e mails
These bodies sit in their air con offices thinking of how we can waste our money and time to their advantage
:(:(

Hello Unguided

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Dont be down about not getting there first time. Not many people do achieve it first time!

What is will say is that you're right about it being a massive paperwork exercise.

Each body varies and some courses are not recognised because like they have done on your inpsection they only recognise their courses.

Regards

Taffbutc

Does anybody do any real work now days or just sit exams and write out paperwork?

I once worked for a company where it took possibly longer to write the paper work out than doing the job.

Its going nuts. It seems you now need a course to go on a course to go on a course. It seems we may wind up with everybody sitting exams and doing courses and now real work getting done at all.

Must admit when I did a bit of tutoring, I was just as bad, got into the theory thing and gave the lads bags of class work. Theory is cheap to deliver and so keeps budgets down. You get paid well as well.

The problem is people pay for what you do not what you know.

I can't imagine turning up at a house and telling people "I am highly qualified and so my prices are sky high, because of training costs!" they would probably say "All I want you to do is fix my tap, not know every sort of tap in the worlds name!"

It would be far better, to have a bit of cloud technology that we could all freely dip into for detail and then we would only have to learn the basics of how things work to get a working knowledge to be able to do jobs.

The way its going though it seems you will probably need a uni degree to change a washer soon. :) :)

Hi. Sorry to hear your tales of woe. Your still well placed in the race, as a lot have pulled up on the Tory grant shelving news.
I seem to think all the certificating bodies surrounding our trade are flee,s that are bigger than the dog. Not to mention the monopolies commissions lack of interest. They put nothing back in the game just take the commercial tax.
A example of support came to my attention whilst taking part in a Padi diving course. Amongst course notes in a well presented pack i found a calculator (electronic) Rather than surf through graph after graph to find dive times, depths and durations. The information on the screen prompted and allowed the input of proposed diving info and came up with answers.
The point being why can't HETAS, GAS SAFE, MICROGEN and all the rest of the parasites at least produce this type of aid for subscribers to their schemes for pipe sizing etc? It would help the non tec trades people to see in a flash the effect of ill informed decisions, and improve the quality of installations. Rant over

Thanks for the link. How refreshing to see support information available at the click of a button and in most cases free. Good Luck

Cheers for all the support guys it is appreciated, still no more news yet other than I am now booked on a coshh course and a working at heights course,

I find these last 2 courses will be the undoing of me, I was always taught that health and safety on site was always down to having the eyes in the back of yer head always open and the ability to move fast when all hells breaking loose Over the years I have taught this to me loveslaves and they have always bin quick learners to avoid lump hammers and drills thrown at them when I get a little bit annoyed at them for doing something wrong. My top safety tip is never send anyone to do anything you wouldnt do yerself

Plastic hats are a complete waste of time as they never stay on.
high vis jackets attract more trouble than they prevent including, being a snag hazard and mental forklift drivers seem to be attracted to them like a moth to a flame.

Sorry going into rant mode again I know a lot of guys will disagree but i hate the nanny state

I heared a rumour at the weekend from a MCS accredited company that MCS/RHI is all being changed next year. I dont know if there is any truth in it but it wouldn't suprise me.

Hi Eco
It wouldnt surprise me, In the recent budget there is some mention of bringing some things forward to the autumn of this year subject to consultations and doing away with others. typical of any government really loads of rumours very little action, and loads of confusion, and in the meantime money wasted time and time again

The ongoing MCS saga

tommorow I have to go North, chesterfield apparantly to do me working at heights, coshh and health and safety course, to say I am not happy is an understatement, at least I am not paying for it, but having to go north of watford gap is very worrying, is it civilised up there yet?????? ;-)

no electricity or running water, loos outside but locals friendly if you buy them beer

If it's any consolation, we're going through the manufacturers process at the moment.

What happens is they send someone who knows nothing about heat pumps to scrutinise your heat pumps and ask intelligent questions like "what's that bit?"

We've added some features and a new case design that makes it NOT look like a heat pump and avoid loads of the defrost cycle....... and their brains explode.

"Why did you do this?" "well because people dont want an ugly air con unit in their back yard....and it has nothing to do with the performance so wots it got to do with you?????"

aaaaargggghhhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mcs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock