Search the forum,

Discuss MCS Accreditation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is more money to be made offering training courses than actually being MCS certified

Hi Guys,

The MCS Inspection itself is split between Installations, Competency and Paperwork. The installation needs to be up to the MCS Standards, and the installer needs to be able to prove they are competent to install the equipment. With regards to the paperwork, the paperwork brings the installer into line in terms of functioning to MCS Standards and maintaining a minimum level of quality in the processes they work to. This not only protects the consumer and the government (who's funding they are distributing) but also protects the installer and allows the installer to grow to new levels as they now have the basis to grow into a more structured and successful organisation (if they aren't already). The important aspect for the paperwork is protection, the paperwork has to be followed to pass MCS any deviation wont pass, and by sticking to the paperwork involved and meeting the MCS Regulations it is near impossible to rip of "Mrs Smith" and for "Mrs Smith" to come back at the Installer.

The Quality Systems involved in the MCS Scheme are 99% of the time a structure which takes an installer to the next level and many of the installers we speak to realise how useful the systems are once they have passed.

When the MCS Inspector initially inspects you they would expect you to be competent as an Installer going off your qualifications and Installations. Once your yearly audit comes around this will be far more installation based as they will expect to see a number of installations and often send a technical inspector to perform this audit.

Any more questions feel free.

I read somewhre I think it was the gas sae mag that the paperwork takes a full day to complete is this the sort of paperwork that is required? seems a bit ott if you ask me.
I also dont think there is enough people wanting this done to merit me paying out money to get this qualification at this moment in time.

Gas safe is under review at the moment and I bet that when they have finnished theyre consultations that they have got to do, they will roll somthing out something similar to this.

I know I keep bleating on but just wait until the whole industry has to go through this farce

Hi Everyone,

Just picking up on the idea mentioned of these "1 Day MCS Courses". Please please be aware that these courses will not help you through the MCS process itself, they will simply go through the MCS Standards and then you have to go away and do it yourself. Also bear in mind that it is £325 + a day of your time + you then have to do it yourself, if you then get it wrong you have to pay another assessment fee.

We have had countless installers approach us who have been on "MCS Seminars" which offer a one stop event and have then tried to pass the inspection and have failed miserably. I would highly recommend you speak to people who have been on the seminars before spending a great deal of money and your time on something which will then still leave you have to prepare for inspection independently.

If anyone has any queries - always happy to help.

I can appreciate that you have had "countless" people who have approached you as they have failed miserably but there will be no data with regard to the ones that have'nt contacted you because they passed.

I'm not concerned with spending time doing the work myself as long as I know where the bar is set and what I need to get over it. At the minute I don't mind admitting that I know very little

So whats the difference in paying them money vs paying you money?

The reasons why you may decide not to attend an MCS Awarness course are as follows;

• Costs could be considerabley higher when you factor course and the time you could be earning + travelling etc
  • You then need to factor in the time you subsequently have to spend preparing after the seminar
  • The risk could also be higher as there is no preparation for the inspection and you still have to work everything out on your own this could lead to the next point
  • The cost of another inspection if you fail

Some people are successful in gaining MCS on the back of seminars, but it involves a great deal more time (cost when you are working for yourself or you designate an employee) and the majority of installers prefer to have an ongoing support approach all the way to the day of inspection.

Just had a re-read of the whole thread.
The NEF one day course is 299+vat for the "early bird" one day course. Plus a days wages, possible night in a travellodge and diesel. Then a lot of work on evenings and weekends (in other words time when not earning) to finalise QMS and prep for an audit.
Your way is £1100 - 1200 as stated to Dontknowitall in an earlier post. You say Seminar is not a requirement. As your product is bespoke to the individual business how many hours are required from the individual business for yourselves to be able to create the bespoke package?

Renewables are the way to go, especially where I am, very limited gas, solid fuel and oil are the predominant fuels. Already I have had one customer drop the oil boiler for an electric combi (not my choice). If you are correct in what you have said earlier with regard to the material costs plummetting all well and good.

But, I am a sole trader in what appears to be a very similiar position to many who contribute on here and as such the costs involved in gaining MCS accreditation play a major role in when / if you would decide to proceed. I am lucky (Business is very good at the minute and the foreseable future)to be in the position where I can invest some time and money into achieving this, hopefully by the end of the year.

However I would find it of greater benefit to myself to go down the route of the NEF course. Yes it's cheaper and the risks of a failed assessment are greater but the amount of time I will have to put into this on my own, will mean I will know the process inside out, something that I would hope would be apparent to an assessor. I would find this of greater benefit than having it handed to me on a plate and having to refer questions and queries back to yourselves.

Hope this clears up where I have been coming from.

When I did my MCS assesment the assesor told me that I would not pass the first time I have another thread on here somwhere Mcs, so I wonder how many people have gone through MCS without having to do the assesment twice. I personally didnt bother but as stated before i am still doing sign offs and inspections in fact I am really busy over the next couple of days doing them.

I can't quite put my finger on this but it seems MCS Accreditation is much MORE to do with administration, book-keeping, database design, paperwork and so on and much LESS to do with knowledge and improved installation and diagnosis of renewable energy systems.

I wonder, with no response to my last missive about the figures, whether that last post was accurate after all?

(MCS QMS £495
OFTEC Assessment Fee £550 (assuming OFTEC does this scheme too and assuming that's the cost)
Solar Thermal course £300
Photovoltaic course £300
REAL sub £220

TOTAL £1,865
plus vat £373

Setup TOTAL £2,238

On-going/annual costs:

REAL £220
MSC audit £400
OFTEC £150 ??? I can't see this being free!

So, minimum of £924 including vat per year.)

When I did my MCS assesment the assesor told me that I would not pass the first time I have another thread on here somwhere Mcs, so I wonder how many people have gone through MCS without having to do the assesment twice. I personally didnt bother but as stated before i am still doing sign offs and inspections in fact I am really busy over the next couple of days doing them.

Everybody I have heard of fail the first one, strange that isn't it?

Nice re-assessment fee?

Money for old rope?

I can't quite put my finger on this but it seems MCS Accreditation is much MORE to do with administration, book-keeping, database design, paperwork and so on and much LESS to do with knowledge and improved installation and diagnosis of renewable energy systems.

I wonder, with no response to my last missive about the figures, whether that last post was accurate after all?

I think you have missed the MCS fees to corgi or whoever , took this of corgi site
Thanks for choosing CORGI Membership NOTE: the application below is for businesses with up to 10 operatives, should you have over 10 operatives and wish to join CORGI Membership, please give the Membership team a ring on 0844 8794798, alternatively drop us an email to [email protected] and we’ll call you back Please fill in as much information as possible below to allow us to process your application, including: 1. Insurance cover, please tell us when your Public Liability Insurance (PLI) expires. 2. Please complete the "business summary" box with a description of your business and the types of work you undertake, this will be displayed next to your online listing for homeowners to see. 3. In order to complete your application we will need copies of your qualifications and insurances and should they wish to recieve an ID card, photo's of your supervisor(s). Please scan and email this information to [email protected] or alternatively send to Benchmark Certification Ltd, International House, George Curl Way, Southampton, SO18 2RZ 4. Tick the box for work leads so that homeowners can email you directly to request a quote for work
MembershipMembership typeMCS 2 Tech + CPS Up to 10 Operatives Renewal frequencyAnnual Payment methodPayment card Pay today £1,038.00

Thank you, Ecowarm. I don't do gas but am an OFTEC technician so I guessed at their prices instead!

[Edit]

Just seen your "Oftec don't do mcs" post!!!

That's funny - especially when they created the first Oil and Renewables show last October and want to do another one this spring!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Ecowarm. I don't do gas but am an OFTEC technician so I guessed at their prices instead!

[Edit]

Just seen your "Oftec don't do mcs" post!!!

That's funny - especially when they created the first Oil and Renewables show last October and want to do another one this spring!!

CORGI dont do gas either

Just had a re-read of the whole thread.
The NEF one day course is 299+vat for the "early bird" one day course. Plus a days wages, possible night in a travellodge and diesel. Then a lot of work on evenings and weekends (in other words time when not earning) to finalise QMS and prep for an audit.
Your way is £1100 - 1200 as stated to Dontknowitall in an earlier post. You say Seminar is not a requirement. As your product is bespoke to the individual business how many hours are required from the individual business for yourselves to be able to create the bespoke package?

Renewables are the way to go, especially where I am, very limited gas, solid fuel and oil are the predominant fuels. Already I have had one customer drop the oil boiler for an electric combi (not my choice). If you are correct in what you have said earlier with regard to the material costs plummetting all well and good.

But, I am a sole trader in what appears to be a very similiar position to many who contribute on here and as such the costs involved in gaining MCS accreditation play a major role in when / if you would decide to proceed. I am lucky (Business is very good at the minute and the foreseable future)to be in the position where I can invest some time and money into achieving this, hopefully by the end of the year.

However I would find it of greater benefit to myself to go down the route of the NEF course. Yes it's cheaper and the risks of a failed assessment are greater but the amount of time I will have to put into this on my own, will mean I will know the process inside out, something that I would hope would be apparent to an assessor. I would find this of greater benefit than having it handed to me on a plate and having to refer questions and queries back to yourselves.

Hope this clears up where I have been coming from.

Hi Simon,

I understand where you are coming from, just to clarify our cost is £495 out of that £1,100 as the previous thread we were including your inspection fee.

So the fee with us is £495 the fee with NEF is £295 + extras you have outlined.

We do not hand it to you - to clarify. As part of our service we provide full mentoring and support to integrate the systems with you a train you for the inspection itself. By the end of our mentoring you will fully understand all processes and procedures as they are designed around how you operate.

hi everyone, just signed up here trying to get some info, heres where i am, im a time served plumber/gas heating engineer for the last 14 years, am 30 years old, looked into the renewables last year and as got asked to do a solar thermal job, then the mcs bit came up, so went on a heat pump 3 day course and a 3 day solar course, total cost £700, then joined up with napit for heat pump and solar cost around £900 not heard from them in 9 months and their attitude is terrible but im still with them till june i think yet im nowhere nearer, then i fitted 2 solar jobs and very happy with outcome, customers are chuffed, then found easymcs, who i have payed roughly £700 for the qms, which i admit i could never provide, time spent getting to where i think im ready fiiling out that qms roughly 50 hours. Might seem a lot but im trying to get it all in my head. Got asked by builder friend doing his own house about ashp, so got nu heat to supply, finished it 2 weeks back and im more confused now than ever, commissioning engineer comes out and says right nu heat will sign it off for customer, hold on i say i need this for my assessment as it had solar too, he says youll never pass, was happy with install but said paperwork wise dont go there, basically said unless i did an umbrella for heat pumps forget it (only thing is depending who you go with you have to fit their stuff), so here i am bolloxed as customer needs it signing so let him do it, he told me if i use this as assessment i cant use any of the drawings, sap calcs etc etc as they are nu heats and not mine. so called nu heat today re umbrella scheme as to be fair id probably use them just for the heat pumps and they are offering installers free heat pump mcs with a purchace, yet to hear back so cant comment. Thing is there is no way i have the software to provide what nu heat did and if this is what they want i might as well give up, id like to be able to fit what heat pump I like but if they are going to be that bad on assessment why bother. So im going to call easymcs and see what they say as im now in a position where i have no heat pump to show and napit said they want a ground and air source example. Thing is we are not getting the jobs unless your mcs so vicious circle me thinks, i honestly doubt id fit more than 2 a year if im lucky. Option now is unless easy mcs tell me otherwise, right off napits £900 last year and go heat pumps through nu heat and do my own solar. Oh plus you need to buy heat pump book tr30 at £30ish.

Ill have a chat with nu heat and easymcs tommorrow as im of the opinion im now screwed without having any heat pumps to install.
The paperwork involved with all this is not going to improve me much at all, its all about paying money out for systems that are so over the top its untrue, I have all my qualifications and all I want is to go and fit a decent job for a customer yet we seem entangled in this paoer trail mess. I wish i could put all the file onm here and show how much bull **** is in it because im really at the point where i dont give a toss for renewables any more.

Kev Fisk
K FISK PLUMBING AND HEATING LTD

they need to sort this out for the small companies to be honest

Eaton

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

More importantly, thank you for that post. I have been moaning and groaning recently when I had yet another thought about doing renewables and did some more research into it.

Your post has highlighted some of the difficulties a one-man-band faces and thank you for indicating some of the costs which, to a small business, are not inconsiderable. My gripes are not only about the money but the red tape that one needs to plough through and your post indicates some of the spaghetti and how trapped you are.

It's a big shame because most of us are out to (and not necessarily in order):

a) earn a reasonable living
b) help people become more environmentally friendly
c) help people keep their fuel costs down
d) install a good system with no dangerous short cuts
e) do the job for a reasonable price where we feel happy with the money we've made and the customer feels happy with the value they've received.

Much of the MCS lark seems to be based around keeping administrators in an office in employment rather than encouraging the country to use more environmentally friendly heating.

Thanks again for your post!

Your welcome, must say after a beer and walking the dog I'm back in a better frame of mind. Personally for I'm in Cambridgeshire and there is little around here who are mcs so really trying to get ahead of the game, plus our plan is to move to devon eventually where all this seems more sought after. But if asked would I bother again, I'd have to say no

Kev

hi everyone, just signed up here trying to get some info, heres where i am, im a time served plumber/gas heating engineer for the last 14 years, am 30 years old, looked into the renewables last year and as got asked to do a solar thermal job, then the mcs bit came up, so went on a heat pump 3 day course and a 3 day solar course, total cost £700, then joined up with napit for heat pump and solar cost around £900 not heard from them in 9 months and their attitude is terrible but im still with them till june i think yet im nowhere nearer, then i fitted 2 solar jobs and very happy with outcome, customers are chuffed, then found easymcs, who i have payed roughly £700 for the qms, which i admit i could never provide, time spent getting to where i think im ready fiiling out that qms roughly 50 hours. Might seem a lot but im trying to get it all in my head. Got asked by builder friend doing his own house about ashp, so got nu heat to supply, finished it 2 weeks back and im more confused now than ever, commissioning engineer comes out and says right nu heat will sign it off for customer, hold on i say i need this for my assessment as it had solar too, he says youll never pass, was happy with install but said paperwork wise dont go there, basically said unless i did an umbrella for heat pumps forget it (only thing is depending who you go with you have to fit their stuff), so here i am bolloxed as customer needs it signing so let him do it, he told me if i use this as assessment i cant use any of the drawings, sap calcs etc etc as they are nu heats and not mine. so called nu heat today re umbrella scheme as to be fair id probably use them just for the heat pumps and they are offering installers free heat pump mcs with a purchace, yet to hear back so cant comment. Thing is there is no way i have the software to provide what nu heat did and if this is what they want i might as well give up, id like to be able to fit what heat pump I like but if they are going to be that bad on assessment why bother. So im going to call easymcs and see what they say as im now in a position where i have no heat pump to show and napit said they want a ground and air source example. Thing is we are not getting the jobs unless your mcs so vicious circle me thinks, i honestly doubt id fit more than 2 a year if im lucky. Option now is unless easy mcs tell me otherwise, right off napits £900 last year and go heat pumps through nu heat and do my own solar. Oh plus you need to buy heat pump book tr30 at £30ish.

Ill have a chat with nu heat and easymcs tommorrow as im of the opinion im now screwed without having any heat pumps to install.
The paperwork involved with all this is not going to improve me much at all, its all about paying money out for systems that are so over the top its untrue, I have all my qualifications and all I want is to go and fit a decent job for a customer yet we seem entangled in this paoer trail mess. I wish i could put all the file onm here and show how much bull **** is in it because im really at the point where i dont give a toss for renewables any more.

Kev Fisk

Really appreciate your input and experiance its nice to know I am not alone. you would think the fact that we have to pay a hell of a lot of money and do all of the installation, paperwork, self asses, register and keep all the files for 8 years, with little or no assistance from anyone, sound familier, yes the same system as the Tax Office and look at the state theyre in.

As I have said before I dont think it wont be long before the same applies to Gas Safe, Oftec and hetas, Mark my words

Just to top that, watching the news and now the British Government are bailing out portugal with TAX Payers money

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would start this thread if anyone want's any advice or has any questions on the MCS Accreditation process. We are specialists in MCS Accreditation Support on Quality Management Systems so if anyone want's to run through the Quality side of MCS on Heat Pumps, Solar Thermal, Biomass and CHP on the plumbing side of MCS or even the electrical based technologies such as Solar PV, Wind Turbines or Hydro Turbines. We work with all the MCS Certification bodies such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, CORGI & BRE.

Cheers

Easy MCS Ltd
The Award Winning and Market Leading MCS Accreditation Specialists Easy MCS Ltd
Cost & Pain Free MCS Installer Accreditation & Certification
MCS Directory

Hi

I just had a thought obviously you are a market expert because every trade magazine I look in I see your advert you are also sponsoring this forum, So are you actualy MCS accredited in any technology also do you have any one that does inspections on any of the MCS technologies
Having just done a quick search on the MCS website I can not see your company on there.

Regards
Mike

I want a bit of the MCS pie, like we all do, and have done renewable courses, but as everyone else has said, its a long, miserable and expensive path to get accredited.

My mate is going for it, so I'll see how he gets on.

I wonder how big the market really is? The country is skint...can the government really afford to pay for everyone to have free energy?

Last edited:
I want a bit of the MCS pie, like we all do, and have done renewable courses, but as everyone else has said, its a long, miserable and expensive path to get accredited.

My mate is going for it, so I'll see how he gets on.

I wonder how big the market really is? The country is skint...can the government really afford to pay for everyone to have free energy?

Hi dannypipe

you dont honestly believe that all this RHI is for the averidge man in the street do you, the reality is that the only people who can afford all this sort of thing are the extremly well off, the whole point of the RHI is to kick start the renewable industry in the uk so the government can reach its carbon cutting targets, so the fact that labour has bankrupted the country and the condems have backed down on getting the utility companies to cover the cost of the RHI, (this means the government is going to pay it, or should I say us mug tax payers ) Means ultimately that the poor who are getting poorer are paying for the ritch to run these technologies.

Sounds about right. Oh well. I won't pursue accreditation...as said I'll see how my mate gets on. He's an average guy, so if it starts making him money, I'll jump on the gravy train!

Sounds about right. Oh well. I won't pursue accreditation...as said I'll see how my mate gets on. He's an average guy, so if it starts making him money, I'll jump on the gravy train!

Why not talk to him and share the cost or even specialise doing renewables, you will have to forgive all my cynisism ( and spelling) but I am thouroughly disgusted with whats happened to our industry in the last twenty years, with out doubt there has been improvements, but the physical cost is it worth it.

I cant remember what the projected figures are for the renewable energy market is in the UK but I recall someone from worcester bosch saying that the UK last year only used 1.5 % renewables as opposed to the rest of europe where it ranges up to 50%, as I said before the British government have got to raise this 1.5% or face fines from the European Union, so with out a doubt it is still worth getting into, just bloody difficult if your a one man band

Might have a word with him.

He's away at the moment up north. He's paid a college that actually get you to install a solar thermal system, in a house. Rather than it just being classroom based.

If I can help just PM me yer number and I will give yer a call tommorow

Hi

I just had a thought obviously you are a market expert because every trade magazine I look in I see your advert you are also sponsoring this forum, So are you actualy MCS accredited in any technology also do you have any one that does inspections on any of the MCS technologies
Having just done a quick search on the MCS website I can not see your company on there.

Regards
Mike

Hi Mike,

We are not an MCS Accredited Installation company as we do not install the MCS Technologies, we train installers such as yourselves and support you through MCS Accreditation. Otherwise you would be being trained by your competition.

Kev Fisk

Hi Kevin,

I have asked one of our mentors to get in touch with you discuss your MCS Accreditation.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Many Thanks

Thanks for the call lads really put my mind at ease, I'm going to ignore Nu heat, seems like they just want you in their little bubble fitting all their gear, surprise surprise, going to call napit and tell them not to bother anymore either, I'd rather wipe off that cost and move somewhere else, hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have a bit more input for everyone but for now, thanks easymcs team bunch of top blokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MCS Accreditation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock