Search the forum,

Discuss May be a stupid question,but... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageW

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can SGN turn up the gas pressure in the gas main? Called SGN to job cause had low working pressure at boiler and meter.I was still on site as he arrived an tried adjusting the governor then reluctantly changed it after I said was no different. I was then packing the van to go to another job an am going back to this job tomorrow to recheck,he then came over and said it's still low with new governor an that he's going to knock on few other houses in street to check their pressures.He said if it's same for few it could just be that the gas main pressure is in "summer mode" an that it just needs to be raised "winter mode" (that's how he described it) I've tried googling this to see if it's actually a thing as I don't know a lot about that side,but I've got a feeling il be turning up to this job tomorrow with no difference in the working pressures?

Yes they can much larger but google has boosters

Google'd it Shaun an what's coming up is for industrial an commercial stuff,would SGN use this for a whole street for instance? The way SGN guy was talking it was like there was already something they use/do to just increase the gas pressure

Google'd it Shaun an what's coming up is for industrial an commercial stuff,would SGN use this for a whole street for instance? The way SGN guy was talking it was like there was already something they use/do to just increase the gas pressure

They would use it for a town then use local regulators to drop the pressure for the area / post code etc

The low pressure mains in the streets are normally supposed to be up to 75mb. But because of the amount of leaks and dodgy pipes they tend to be turned down to around 25-30mb. That's what I get told by board guys around my way.

Can SGN turn up the gas pressure in the gas main? Called SGN to job cause had low working pressure at boiler and meter.I was still on site as he arrived an tried adjusting the governor then reluctantly changed it after I said was no different. I was then packing the van to go to another job an am going back to this job tomorrow to recheck,he then came over and said it's still low with new governor an that he's going to knock on few other houses in street to check their pressures.He said if it's same for few it could just be that the gas main pressure is in "summer mode" an that it just needs to be raised "winter mode" (that's how he described it) I've tried googling this to see if it's actually a thing as I don't know a lot about that side,but I've got a feeling il be turning up to this job tomorrow with no difference in the working pressures?

The pressure in the main in a lot of areas is reduced during summer time because the demand is less. The demand will increase as the climate cools for obvious reasons.

If the weather is fairly mild moving into winter, the pressure can be left low for longer, until demand increases to the level where an increase in pressure is necessary.

Most Low pressure mains in my area are running at around 25-30 mbar under normal circumstances but I have seen them as low as 14 mbar, WP

If the pressure gets down to 13 mbar WP the Nat Grid or whoever it is in your area would normally turn it off (the installation) and do something about it.

A lot of the modern mains regulators are adjusted remotely.

I am speaking from my experience in my area of the world. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
AWheating & Last Plumber,thanks for your replies it's made more sense to me now! Spoke to couple blokes I know who have pretty much mirrored your replies! Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to May be a stupid question,but... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, Have had a fault on our Ideal Icos HE15 boiler for a couple of weeks, keeps failing to light and shows LF (or FL) error. Boiler engineer came out today and checked boiler, no issues found. Then checked the gas supply, it seems when boiler demand came on the pressure at the meter dropped...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock