Search the forum,

Discuss Marcrist ddm2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think £500 is a bit too much. Even if the tax man will have it. I'm not putting boilers in every day so I can't justify the dosh at them moment. Maybe when I get everything done for Xmas as I should have a few more quid spare by then.

I heard the Milwaukee has a 'soft hammer' function. Years and years ago I was chatting to a plumber in a merchants and he had just bought a Milwaukee core drill and it was playing up. This was before they were as popular as they are today. I will happily lend it to you when I get it mate. That is if I don't by a cheap Dewalt or similar instead!

it goes lovely, stops without a bad jerk due to the electronic clutch. the soft hammer makes a lot of difference in time.
I'm fitting a boiler Tuesday and I'm employing Thomas (the one with the Milwaukee) and I will see what it's like with my new marcrist cores. (yay, no more crappy Ryobi cores)

i'm interested to see which is the better beast between the ddm3 and milwaukee.

I have vowed not to get a cheap core drill after having a sparky drill get stuck on and pull me off a ladder, luckily it was a bungalow.

when the ddm3 binds and jerks does it do it badly ?

Not that i've ever felt. I can hold it with one hand and drink my coffee with the other :smile:
It's easily held but i'm about a foot taller than you and probably a wee bit stronger.

taller yes but as for strength i'm pretty good usually !!! I got attacked when I was 14 by a group of 20 ish year old showing off , knocked to the floor and one of them jumped up both feet onto my right hand. I have to look after it now and when a core drill snatches man do I feel it !!! hence why I like the milwaukee

Use your left hand them. You need to learn to be ambidextrous and never be afraid of the tool you are using. Thats when it will bite you.
You can hold it no problem and it never snatches.

I do, its just that occasion you can't get into the right position :) thanks tamz, i'll consider the ddm3 then :)

ordered the bbk2 for 206 pounds delivered - let you know how good it is, no doubt screwfix will start selling these.

wow,

so last week i drilled a hole for the stack pipe with my dewalt hammer drill, got through the breeze block ok, then it wouldnt drill through the brick, i gave up and stitch drilled in the end, time taken 45mins. dead arms and shoulder pain for 4 days, (bare in mind ive had double shoulder operations)

today i drilled the boiler flue hole with the same worn drill bit with the new sparky drill, woooooow, it took 2 mins, arms are fine!!!!

one of the if not best investments soo far after the power flush machine!

the sparky re brand is definitely the real deal

George - I found the gear on mine hard to change. I have the three speed one. You have to manually shift the chuck and slot it into gear. There is info in the Sparky instructions about this. I hope we haven't damaged the gear box because we actually span the drill out of gear at the start and then when the motor slowed, we slotted it into gear. What do you think? Tamz you have used these???

Its not the same as a DDM1 which is a totally different drill. This is a total beast of a drill compared to the DDM1.

It looks the same gun as the old DDM2/3 Danny.
Probably made by the same company. There are a few similar machines under different brands (do an image search for handheld core drill).
You have to (usually) move the chuck to change gears. This is common on a lot of tools.
I just leave mine in speed 3 for everything unless i need more torque on a particularly deep hole (the clutch kicks in more on higher speeds).

tamz is the 3 speed better than the 2 speed as it looks like the top end speed is the same for both at 950 cheers jcd

Speed 3 on a ddm3 is >3000rpm, speed 2 around 1800.

Speed 2 on a ddm2 is >2000rpm

more speed means quicker holes :)

just managed to read the small print on the ddm3 sparky,
No Load Speed: 950/2,100/4,300/min. so I might save the other £100 for that one

Last edited by a moderator:
more speed means quicker holes :)

Usually but depending what you are drilling it sometimes glazes the tips if you are dry drilling.
Run the core in a bit sandstone to deglaze and sharpen it again.

I paid around £250 for my ddm2 and £4 odds for the ddm3 so these ones are a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Marcrist ddm2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock