Search the forum,

Discuss Marcrist ddm2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
no way to fix normal drill bits (only a threaded chuck for core bits)

Having never seeing one do you still drill a pilot hole for the core to follow I only ask cos it looks like it doesn't have a chuck on it just threaded
they don't have hammer action so no, you can put guide rod in, they use tapered bit

Last edited:
It may well be possible, though not sure I'd want to do so, Its a bit unwieldy to use for a prolonged period. And with my 2kg and 5kg sds / sds max never felt the need.

You always need at least one more drill (I 'need' a cordless sds at the moment)

Edit to add: you can use a tapered pilot bit but I find it a bit unwieldy so use the sds to put pilot in accurately then a guide bar with taper attachment to get core going

Last edited:
I have a sds but you would think a drill that does core holes would be able to drill the pilot hole it needs to run its guide in not moaning still want one just a thought

It'll do it just its such a lump, and with so much of a kick I find I get much better (more accurate) results doing it as described above

I have both the DDM2 and the DDM3. Same machine but the DDM3 is higher powered and faster. The 2 cost ÂŁ300 odds with a couple of 850 core bits and the 3 about ÂŁ430 for the gun itself.
If you do a lot of drilling it is the best buy you will ever make.
My DDM2 was (ab)used daily drilling walls up to 4ft thick and pushed so hard i've had to wear gloves to hold it it was so hot and even pushed it with my feet. It refused to die no matter what i did to it and lasted 4 years before i the clutch gave in.
I got it repaired by a local diamond drilling company who service their own gear for ÂŁ60 but as i use it daily and couldn't be without it, i bought the DDM3. It is different geared and has 3 speeds up to 3500rmp so of course i use it on speed 3 for everything regardless of what core size and what the makers recommend.
May be time to consider thermic lance Tamz
regards turnpin:8:

I have a sds but you would think a drill that does core holes would be able to drill the pilot hole it needs to run its guide in not moaning still want one just a thought

A chucked one would, but it would take an age without a hammer function, so you wouldn't even bother. Hence, a lot of dedicated core drills don't have a chuck.

My makita is looking as though it will go the journey this year so might look at this one. I haven't used my feet before but I've used a lump of 3 x 2 to use as a lever before.

Sorry I didn't know it had no hammer or any thing we use a makita which has other functions on it so its core only

Right i'll do a wee review on these machines just to straighten things out.

First of all this is a dedicated diamond drilling machine. It has absolutely no use for anything else. If you want a drill that will do most things just buy an sds.
If you are serious about what vyou do you will have at least half as dozen drilling machines, each with a dedicated use.

As most of you know i've been doing this nonsense for a long time and my time is not only money but i would rather get the job done and back to my own time asap.

Ever since flues became round and i more or less hung up my 4lb mash hammer i searched for a decent diamond drilling machine at a reasonable cost.
I've bought a couple of Makitas, a dewalt, an industrial ryobi and another one i can't remember which make, all costing in the 2 -3 hundred price range and also many times used my standard sds gun for cores.
They would all do the job reasonably well, some better than others but all took their time.
The guy who lives next door to my dad has a diamond drilling company and they will drill holes up to 4ft dia and more
I was standing having a chat to him one weekend and he said to me why don't you try a marcrist. They are doing a machine which is near enough the same quality of hand held as we use so i looked it up and bought a DDM2.

Your first impression will be this is one heavy beast of a machine (it is an all metal construction) and it is. It is a solid built machine.
It comes with 4 spanners that fit all the sizes of cores, extension bars and the adaptor and a wet drilling attachment which most won't use but if you ever do you will find it speeds things up even more.
Plug it in and turn it on and you will feel the back kick as it starts. Its a powerful machine but don't be scared of the weight or power. It is easily handled due to the hydraulic clutch.

Personally i don't use a pilot hole. I have used these things enough to be able to start the hole with the core bit straight onto the wall to be accurate to within a mill or 2. (dig in at an angle)
That is an experience thing but if you feel the need to drill a pilot/guide hole then use your sds to drill a 10mm hole. Stick the K taper guide rod in the end of your diamond core bit and away you go.

The DDM 2 has 2 speeds and the DDM 3 has 3 speeds and they recommend different speeds for different sized cores. So you get your 117 mm core on and it tells you to use speed 1 with that sizw core.
I did that for a while and it did the job better than any drill i had used previously then one day when drilling a particularly deep hole i thought fk it i'll try speed 2. Big difference and much quicker howwever you can't push the machine so hard. So me being me i've left it on speed 2 ever since (and speed 3 on the DDM3). Just don't push it so hard
It is not only the machine that makes the difference. Good core bits are a must.
The marcrist 850 cores are definitely top of the range stuff. They will cost you around a ton for a 117mm but they are worth the money. PTS do a similar core bit to the marcrist 750's A decebt bit and if you talk the talk you will get them for under 30 quid. I've bought the cheap sets from merchants and Aldi etc thinking fior ÂŁ30 /100 quid a set it will do a turn. They won't, They are junk. Save your money for something better.
Knock off hilti cores from ebay are just as good (make sure the are not the quick fit only ones)
Talking of Hilti. Their core guns are very good but you will be paying ÂŁ800 plus for a machine that does the same as a marcrist.
Best advice: never skimp on tools. they save you time and money.

So a summary of a marchrist core gun.

It certainly does what it says on the tin better than most.
You won't get a better gun unless yo0u spend 5-6 hundred more
It is heavy but once it bites the weight is irrelevant.

As said above somewhere; it is the best money you will spend if you do cores.

Btw some facing brick or engineering brick are just so hard no diamond drill will be quick on them. After drilling 2mm in 2 minutes just lay it down, drill a 7mm pilot then get the old 4lb hammer out. 4 or 5 hits and its sorted.

Another btw for the brave.
Try a core bit on your 9" grinder (you will need to buy an adaptor). No clutch and speeds of up to 7000rpm. Live life on the edge :lol:

image.jpg
ha ha ha

Just been looking at these on the web you can get dm2. And the better core bits together I've noticed two kinds of the same core bits different boxes most with the ally box and some with a plastic box I can see in the plastic box it has a extension bar but carnt see one in the ally box one does any one know if there is a differance thanks

Just been looking at these on the web you can get dm2. And the better core bits together I've noticed two kinds of the same core bits different boxes most with the ally box and some with a plastic box I can see in the plastic box it has a extension bar but carnt see one in the ally box one does any one know if there is a differance thanks

I've got the ally box and It came with 200mm extension bar!!

Bumping this old thread. Anyone know where I can get one for about ÂŁ250? The DDM2 seems to have gone up a bit!!

Ddm2's gone. I ordered one from ffx a few months ago and they got back to me a week later and said they were unable to get them in anymore. Looked at pro tiler tools the other night and they don't list them either. Ill just get the Milwaukee at some point now. I don't like using my sds for cores.

I believe the ddm3 is still available, same drill with a 3 speed 'box I'll probably get one these if my 2 ever packs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Marcrist ddm2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock