Search the forum,

Discuss Marcrist DDM1 or DDM3??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

I'm after a core drill and can't decide between the two.

There is a massive price difference, but I'd rather buy the right kit than buy twice.

DDM1 has hammer action, and with the new Marcrist PC800 percussion cores, it'd be really fast I think.

DDM3 has a water feed for wet cutting, a 1500W motor rather than 1400, and 3 speeds.

I guess what I'd like to know is whether wet cutting is so much faster than percussion that it'd be worth the price difference and additional mess...

Any ideas anyone???

Not seen the ddm1 and don't use the water cool and with my 2 but if I needed to replace it I'd go for a 3 I think.

Ddm1 is aimed more towards small cores and tile coring apparently.

ddm3 is the workhorse for coring from reviews

sadly i havent used them.

i noticed bosch have a new offering but it only goes upto 4 inch cores.
that sits at 700 quid!!

Just purchased the DDM1. It arrives today. Wanted the DDM2 and a few places still showed it but all I tried had sold out and no more coming as they were discontinued. I have never needed a water cooled core drill before so felt I didn't need the extra expense. Paid £240 including delivery for the DDM1

I've a DDM3 you can borrow for a couple of weeks Masood if you'd like to see what is like?

Just purchased the DDM1. It arrives today. Wanted the DDM2 and a few places still showed it but all I tried had sold out and no more coming as they were discontinued. I have never needed a water cooled core drill before so felt I didn't need the extra expense. Paid £240 including delivery for the DDM1

Let us know what its like once you've used it in anger :)

I've a DDM3 you can borrow for a couple of weeks Masood if you'd like to see what is like?

That's very generous Sean. Ironically I've just finished a few installs all in the same block of flats where the rebar killed my cores and took about 4 hours each! If I get some more installs I'll give you a shout. Have you got the water injection system well? And do you use the wall-mounting jig or just hand-held?

No probs mate. I do have the water injection but no wall mount. TBH never felt I've needed it as it goes through so quickly.

No probs mate. I do have the water injection but no wall mount. TBH never felt I've needed it as it goes through so quickly.

Oh right - the tech guy at Marcrist said that the water collection ring is designed to mount on the jig... Do you use that? Do you just hook it up to wet vac? My main worry about wet coring is the mess it'd make in peoples' houses...

Nice one Sean, that settles it for me. I sold my Makita already so no hesitation - DDM3 on order! :)

Let us know what its like once you've used it in anger :)

Okay drill arrived yesterday and tried it today

Initial impressions were good, the package felt quite heavy. Opened it up and a good solid plastic case held every thing inside. Case looks like it could survive some drops too. Opened the case and assembled the handle on to the drill and threw a 50mm core drill on it. Tried it going though a 35mm thick solid limestone surface with a 50mm hole saw. It did it easily without any effort. The soft start function is permanent and helps. I used it on speed setting '1' and could feel the fan really kicking some air out as it cooled. It did feel a bit on the heavy side but could easily get used to it. For my occasional use this is fine, for more common or daily use and or repetitive use then the water feed DDM3 would have been my choice.

My only snag is you have to remove the handle to fit it into the box (first world problems)

Any questions let me know

Okay drill arrived yesterday and tried it today

Initial impressions were good, the package felt quite heavy. Opened it up and a good solid plastic case held every thing inside. Case looks like it could survive some drops too. Opened the case and assembled the handle on to the drill and threw a 50mm core drill on it. Tried it going though a 35mm thick solid limestone surface with a 50mm hole saw. It did it easily without any effort. The soft start function is permanent and helps. I used it on speed setting '1' and could feel the fan really kicking some air out as it cooled. It did feel a bit on the heavy side but could easily get used to it. For my occasional use this is fine, for more common or daily use and or repetitive use then the water feed DDM3 would have been my choice.

My only snag is you have to remove the handle to fit it into the box (first world problems)

Any questions let me know
Have you used the DDM 3 on the same materials to compare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Marcrist DDM1 or DDM3??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock