Search the forum,

Discuss Mapp or propane? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lauriekinguk

Hello,

I am just about to order a superfire 2 blow touch, but cant make up my mind wether to get one with mapp or propane. I understand that mapp gives a hotter flame, but is it to hot, ie: is it easy to over heat fittings and loose the solder, ect.

Thanks

I use mapp but some say its overkill, propane is easier to control

i find propane useless prafer mapp as heats 22 mm quicker and 15 in secs so if near joists or anything done quicker think its just choice really when i first start doing this job a gas bloke i new always used mapp said was better for him same reason as av said earlier friends who use propane seam to be ages soldering

MAPP is best but re your initial concerns, it just takes practice to get used to. If you don't want as fast a flame, screw down the inlet control a little to let less gas out.

Propane for 15/22mm and Mapp for28mm upwards assuming there are plenty of joints :)regards turnpin

whpes never thought of that, does it work tho ,cos would have thought mite have got bit of a leak past the seal cos not all the way down

I use propane and have perfect soldered joints everytime ... I wish!!

Happy with propane and never felt the need to change or try anything different.

re mdust ? not the seal on the bottle, the valve on the torch that allows control of the flame size, mapp everytime for me tho

tbh went off mapp years ago it was killing the first rothy super fires or what ever they were called then just stayed with propane never had any issues

I used propane for 35 years. Recently bought a MAP gas torch.: Its brilliant. Joints flow quicker, but do have to be careful not to over heat. Verdict is: more reliable and much quicker. Just have to get used to it. My son has just started out in the plumbing industry and has been practicing using MAP gas. The results are, that he can solder joints better than I ever could at his stage of learning. May be he will be a better plumber than me then, or the gas is much better to use?

The first soldered joints I ever did was with my Grandad's paraffin powered pump-up Sievert blowlamp when I was about 12. I remember him showing me how to make wiped lead joints. The flame was much larger than a gas blowlamp.

Mapp, it's hotter. The whole point of a blow torch is to get things hot quickly. It's a no brainer!

If you're learning, learn with Mapp, and you'll never have to take the leap from propane.

i used both regulary for a while and found i could make a neater, better looking joint using propane. with mapp its very easy too over heat a fitting. but at the end of the day there both perfectly capable and its just what you get used too

mapps better outdoors in cold or windy weather when doing gas lines.
if your on price work, 400 joints an hour use mapp.
cost more though.

propane- i personally feel like I have more control.

I can't get along with Mapp

propane, u can easily get too hot with map.
unless you regularly solder 35/42/54mm copper tube, then you wanna bigger burner!

propane, u can easily get too hot with map.
unless you regularly solder 35/42/54mm copper tube, then you wanna bigger burner!
Totally agree larger copper needs much more heat upto 28 with propane anything above its mapp

I agree with most lads on here, I use propane on my domestic work purely because it seems to stop my superfire from breaking, when i was on as a subbie for a commercial shop fitting group I was soldering 54mm endfeed day in day out and went through 2 superfires in two months with no explanation back from the cocky rothenberger rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mapp or propane? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock