1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Malfunctioning Lockshield Valve??? in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Chubs

Chubs New Member

First time posting so thank you for any help in advance.

I can't seem to open what I believe is a Lockshield valve, turning anti-clockwise and will not budge. I'm trying to turn the spindle in the centre.
    Never had a radiator before and not entirely sure that is the issue is there something else I should be doing? Valve at the top is fully open.

please see images attached.

Thank you,

Attached Files:

2. Simon F

Simon F Trusted Plumber GSR

have you checked it will close?

might already be open??

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chubs

Chubs New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Pretty sure it's closed won't turn either way. If that is the right thing to turn then i guess it's just jammed. Any idea how to loosen. I gave it a pretty good go with the pliers

4. Leo21

Leo21 Trusted Plumber GSR

That's what I was thinking. Try the wheel head/trv the other end.

5. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Pliers aren't a good tool for gripping or turning the spindle. Try an adjustable spanner well tightened on to flat of spindle and see if it will turn clockwise (off) first.
    The packing nut on spindle could be slackened slightly to make the spindle turn easier, but do retighten the packing nut afterwards.
    That valve looks in good order and not corroded to seize it at top of packing nut

• Like Like x 1
  6. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

Totally agree with Best, Pliers are no good on the L/S. Try using an 8mm open end spanner or whatever size fits the spindle to turn it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

May I ask what's wrong with the rad as the lockshield looks open I only ask because it looks like it's on a one pipe system

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016