Search the forum,

Discuss Making a neat job connecting radiators to push fit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattanglo

Hi all

Another one of those plastic DIY questions. I have installed the piping for radiators in my extension, as I have open web joists I decided to put the piping in the ceiling void with 15mm drops to the radiators, I have done this as a manifold system to try as far as possible to avoid plastic joins in inaccessible places.
I have 3 radiators that are against block walls which will have plasterboard battened off 25mm - this gives room for the pipes and also back boxes for electrics etc. I want to find a way to bring the tails for the radiators horizontally out of the wall to corner TRVs and lock valves on the radiators. I am having column rads so they will be quite a way off the face of the wall.
Obviously this will involve some sort of 90 deg bend as the termination of the drop I just wandered what sort of solutions there are out there for a neat appearance.
My thoughts were (I have attached a drawing to show them as well)
Radiator.jpg
:

1- a soldered elbow and pipe from a Hep2o connector to the TRV - probably the best but I can't solder hence I'm using plastic.

2 - a compression elbow from the plastic pipe to copper pipe to the TRV- my worry being a weeping compression joint behind the plasterboard.

3 - terminate the drop with a Hep2o wall plate elbow which has a 1/2 inch female thread into this I would screw a chrome valve extender with a 1/2 inch male threaded end, this seems like a really neat solution but unfortunately all the ones I can find have a parallel thread so would they require thread sealant?

I would be very grateful for any thoughts or suggestions on this.

cheers

Matt

push fit elbow in the wall with copper stright into it.
why complcate it?
you can always trim the wall at bit to fit the elbow in.
use a pipe collar on the copper to cover the fitting/hole.

I prefer copper on show. You could have got away with 10mm, if not on long runs, and used an outlet box behind rad and chrome 15mm to 10mm speedfit street elbows.
But I'd go same way as Simon F.

i would yous your conpression elbow and crome pipe to the rad valve and a crome cover from the wall

Wouldn't use a compression in a wall. Just had to open up a kitchen ceiling as the "bathroom fitter" used compression in the floor and it started weeping.

Copper out of the wall from a plastic elbow into a 15mm chrome rad elbow.
https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/...hrome-elbow/?gclid=CNKAsNn3i9MCFcgp0wodho8MBQ

(Screwfix do them I'm sure)

You can even use chrome pipe if you get the scoring tool for you plastic pipe brand.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice. I did consider using 10mm as its a manifold setup, but some of the runs are quite long and also because there are several new rads plus existing I was worried about too much resistance for the boiler to pump against, so I thought it would be safer top go with 15mm, I do agree it would be a lot easier in 10mm.
Where I have rads mounted to stud walls I will definitely use a hep elbow straight to copper with a slide on chrome tube and wall cover, my issue with these 3 rads is because they are up against block and I can only batten out 25mm if I use a Hep elbow it will stick out past the face of the plasterboard by about 15mm - its not the end of the world and maybe I should just see if there is a deeper chrome wall cover that would hide it, as has been pointed out it is the simplest option.

I will see what I can find. Thanks.

If you could use 10mm this would work then you could do it like this bud

20170405_102853.jpg

20170405_111428.jpg

20170405_105346.jpg

Used the hep ones bud you just cant see em thought original poster would have a better idea you gonna put a job up for this new thing ? Job of the month cheers kop.

1491683708867-73210764.jpg

no not this moth kop just been finishing the backlog of com servicing and putting things right for other people

and op i would go for option 3 and have a nice bit of chrome to the rad tail

combined with danfoss rasc2 trv and lockshield should look good

but you need to be bob on with your tape measure

Be interesting to see how it goes shaun trouble is someone always finds fault with something think i will hold back for now , i have a job to put right monday you would not belive the way the boiler was fitted had Gas safe out who condemed it , the customer will not have em back so i got the job hey ho all work all the best mate cheers kop

Be interesting to see how it goes shaun trouble is someone always finds fault with something think i will hold back for now , i have a job to put right monday you would not belive the way the boiler was fitted had Gas safe out who condemed it , the customer will not have em back so i got the job hey ho all work all the best mate cheers kop

thing is thats the wrong way to do it

best way would be

brief description of works and then the pics would say max of 6

no other comments from other people and at the end of lets say 3 weeks

a vote appears and people just vote for which one they like

no pressure / no criticism and no worries

Hi guys thanks for some more advice, yes I think in 10m that would have been the way to do it, but I think I have perhaps a nice solution - polyplumb make a pre bent 90deg section of pipe 100mm x 150mm in 15mm plastic. BES seem to be the only people who stock it.
What I can do is turn my elbows sideways at the bottom of the drops so they point sideways not forwards so the elbows are hidden behind the plasterboard. Then use the 90 degree bend to bring the feed forward out of the wall I can then sleeve this in a chrome cover. The other good thing is this allows me to cut the plastic bend to adjust for valve position left right and also distance from the wall. I am using corner valves so the chrome cover will hide the plastic all the way to the valves. I will try to do a mock up when I get all the bits cause my description probably doesn't make much sense.

Thanks again.

Hi all

Another one of those plastic DIY questions. I have installed the piping for radiators in my extension, as I have open web joists I decided to put the piping in the ceiling void with 15mm drops to the radiators, I have done this as a manifold system to try as far as possible to avoid plastic joins in inaccessible places.
I have 3 radiators that are against block walls which will have plasterboard battened off 25mm - this gives room for the pipes and also back boxes for electrics etc. I want to find a way to bring the tails for the radiators horizontally out of the wall to corner TRVs and lock valves on the radiators. I am having column rads so they will be quite a way off the face of the wall.
Obviously this will involve some sort of 90 deg bend as the termination of the drop I just wandered what sort of solutions there are out there for a neat appearance.
My thoughts were (I have attached a drawing to show them as well)View attachment 29268 :

1- a soldered elbow and pipe from a Hep2o connector to the TRV - probably the best but I can't solder hence I'm using plastic.

2 - a compression elbow from the plastic pipe to copper pipe to the TRV- my worry being a weeping compression joint behind the plasterboard.

3 - terminate the drop with a Hep2o wall plate elbow which has a 1/2 inch female thread into this I would screw a chrome valve extender with a 1/2 inch male threaded end, this seems like a really neat solution but unfortunately all the ones I can find have a parallel thread so would they require thread sealant?

I would be very grateful for any thoughts or suggestions on this.

cheers

Matt

Just be careful of Hep20 Fittings if boiler SV STAYS SHUT AND DOES NOT OPEN THE HEP20 Fittings will blow off and flood your home this I have seen happen on hot water pipes when pex pipe has been used and cylinder emersion was not wired correctly and did not shut off hot water the pex pipe opened like a mouth in a straight line and flooded a house Dave01 Plumber

If that had happened to one of my jobs I would have had pipe/fittings manufacture round to the property double quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Making a neat job connecting radiators to push fit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock