Search the forum,

Discuss Magnetic Filter Location in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all

A quick question where do you install the mag filter on an external boiler installation? I know ideally it should be on the boiler return at its lowest point before the boiler. I am just a bit concerned about freezing etc. As I don't want it installed in the loft either which is the only other option on this installation.

Does it need one ?
If system is correctly installed and clean, it shouldn't need one at all.

Most manufacturers warrantys these days require one

They do you're right.

It is one of my pet hates though. Part of the money spinning world we are part of.

If a system is installed correctly and clean, treated with inhibitor. There shouldn't be any corrosion. Not enough to cause a problem. Especially as new boilers only last 10 years.

However, I digress. If it is going to be exposed outside, I'd fit it internally. It is obviously better on return but each job should be taken on its own merits, there is no law that says it can't go on the flow. If it might freeze, it's better inside

On the return, on last run to boiler (after last tee offs).
Ideally as near to boiler, but fine to fit it further away indoors if pipework clean IMO.
So if you have a bypass valve fitted indoors, then fit the filter on the return somewhere after it leaves the bypass

Had this issue the other day Grant Mag one filters have to be fitted internally as I spoke to them, Put it where you can on return in the loft, at least then you have done what they require and can't quibble on the warranty !

Found a solution fitted internally at rear of boiler, sealed system with inhibitors & antifreeze added of course.

Attachments

• IMG_6935.jpg
    IMG_6935.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 48
Nice One that's Great !What anti freeze did you use ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff that, just got to make sure you put enough in your system...5l is just about enough for the boiler alone (is it a combi?) , You would need more for the rest of the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Magnetic Filter Location in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock