Search the forum,

Discuss Macerator drain question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain.rick

Gas Engineer
Hi guys,

Still not got round to doing this yet but I have a question.
My drains all end up in one sewer. Drain pipe from front of house joins the main sewer at back with all other soil waste. As they go to the same place could I tap a macerator waste into the drain pipe at front?
I know it's not a normal thing but as they go to same sewer I wondered what would be the reason not to. For the record the drain pipe at front are direct into full size clay sewer pipes
Any help would be appreciated.
I'm asking because I may need to do a 10 meter run otherwise so I'm eliminating all options before ripping up all my carpets and floorboards

When waste matter leaves the macerator it is a liquid slurry but not quite water, so I`m thinking it would be ok subject to the fall of the pipe, too shallow or too steep and problems might occur. Local planning regs as always are king though and it can vary across counties.

When waste matter leaves the macerator it is a liquid slurry but not quite water, so I`m thinking it would be ok subject to the fall of the pipe, too shallow or too steep and problems might occur. Local planning regs as always are king though and it can vary across counties.
Ok great thank you. I'll get in touch with my local authority and see if they can advise.
Thanks again for the advice

Rick, when you say drain pipe do you mean the down pipe from the gutter ?
If so, then that won't be allowed I'm afraid.

Rick, when you say drain pipe do you mean the down pipe from the gutter ?
If so, then that won't be allowed I'm afraid.
Hi Nick yes sorry for my wording.. I have just lifted the man hole in my back garden. Poured two litres of water with dye in down pipe at fron tof house and within 15 seconds it was running straight into the sewer pipe?
Would that still not be allowed? Or is that down pipe piped wrong?
Sorry I'm not clued up on this stuff

Are you saying you poured the two litres down a toilet pan Rick?

Are you saying you poured the two litres down a toilet pan Rick?
No I went to the front of the house and poured it into the rainwater down pipe clay pot hole (What down pipe goes into) I ran round the back and the water came out the same hole the waste from toilet comes down. The bottom pipe. I'm assuming that when this extension was done in the 1980s there was only one sewer and no other option to run the rainwater any where else?

So looking at a Google search it would appear that I have a combined surface water and sewer
Can I have a combined foul and surface water connection? | Sewerage | Help and FAQs | Building and Developing | Severn Trent Water

So I guess the question is can I run the macerator into this instead of up and through house into bathroom stack.

I know there would possible be a smell issue but could this be the reason not to if the answer is no. And of course blockages but I'm assuming the sizes must be the same.as original waste/soil pipes anyway so blockages would be very minimal. Assuming fall rate is adequate? All this is going off common sense bit was really looking for proper guidance from you guys?

On older properties the rainwater down pipes are often connected into the sewer, so that's not unusual.
Nowadays the rainwater is piped to a soak away somewhere away from the house.
Even if your rainwater down pipes are connected to the sewer you can't make a soil connection into the downpipe I'm afraid.

On older properties the rainwater down pipes are often connected into the sewer, so that's not unusual.
Nowadays the rainwater is piped to a soak away somewhere away from the house.
Even if your rainwater down pipes are connected to the sewer you can't make a soil connection into the downpipe I'm afraid.
Oh ok Nick thank you for that. Not the answer I was hoping for but I was expecting that anyway.
Just don't fancy ripping up bedroom, landing and bathroom floors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Macerator drain question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock